Golden State Warriors Possible move to SF?

hettinger_rl

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the Golden State name, but I think a move to San Francisco will happen as soon as the lease with Oracle expires.

Its just a flat out better location and there's really nothing Oakland can offer to keep the Warriors there if San Francisco really wants them.

Its also not that surprising either. The only thing I'm a little surprised about is that they aren't even going to look into the Cow Palace location, but if the Warriors are fairly confident they can get a downtown arena why even bother looking to Daly City?

You know what the problem with Oakland is?

There is no there, there.

Contrary to popular belief, when Gertrude Stein said, "There is no there there," she wasn't insulting Oakland. Rather, she was commenting on the fact that, after living in Paris for thirty years, she returned to Oakland as part of her 1933 lecture tour to find that the house she spent her childhood in... the school and synagogue she attended... the park she played in... were no longer there.

Old news. "Wooing" also means no direct public financing.

The team has had more press conferences in San Francisco than Oakland since Lacob and Guber took control of the team. First, they were looking to build on a parking lot controlled by the Giants, south of ATT Park, are now looking at Piers 30 and 32 (also south of ATT Park) since Larry Ellison and the America's Cup will not be using them.

The best part of this is the potential of a possible name change. Just like "Boston Patriots" sounds better than "New England", the Warriors would be much better off without the gimmicky "Golden State" moniker. It's so unnecessary. If the team isn't named after a city or state, don't even bother.

6uXNWAo.png

The only thing I'm a little surprised about is that they aren't even going to look into the Cow Palace location, but if the Warriors are fairly confident they can get a downtown arena why even bother looking to Daly City?

Have you seen the neighborhood around the Cow Palace? I don't think so.

All I have to say about the Warriors is that they're the new old L.A. Clippers. When the new owner (Lacob) appoints his son as the new assistant GM you got problems plus Lacob likes to parade his younger wife around at games like a trophy piece. It's his team he can do whatever the hell he wants with it.

The only thing I'm a little surprised about is that they aren't even going to look into the Cow Palace location, but if the Warriors are fairly confident they can get a downtown arena why even bother looking to Daly City?

All I have to say about the Warriors is that they're the new old L.A. Clippers. When the new owner (Lacob) appoints his son as the new assistant GM you got problems plus Lacob likes to parade his younger wife around at games like a trophy piece. It's his team he can do whatever the hell he wants with it.

Exactly, plus the Cow Palace is state property built on state land and no where near the transportation hub which Piers 30 and 32 are. One can even walk there from the Embarcadero BART/MUNI transfer station within 15 minutes or take the N Judah.

As for the franchise, right again. While the old leadership was not very effective, Bob Myers, 37, is the new GM has more NBA experience as an agent than in the front office by 13 years. Now the team ballboy is his assistant GM. What "promises" are they going to make this season?

I know its a terrible area and I would highly doubt the Warriors would ultimately decide to build an arena there even if they considered it.

Just a little surprised its not even being considered, and by little I do mean little before this becomes tediously detailed discussion about nonsense.

The best part of this is the potential of a possible name change. Just like "Boston Patriots" sounds better than "New England", the Warriors would be much better off without the gimmicky "Golden State" moniker. It's so unnecessary. If the team isn't named after a city or state, don't even bother.

Whipped this up a while ago:

akBs6.jpg

I'm fond of it. It uses a more famous bridge (one that actually exists right now), Gotham is better than Copperplate, and doesn't have two sizes of type. And isn't "Golden State."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I would have thought that if the Warriors ever moved within the Bay Area it would be to the "Shark Tank" in San Jose. Granted, that arena is getting old (by current NBA/NHL standards at least) but the population is actually heavier at that end of the Bay Area nowadays than at the Frisco/Oakland end, which is why the 49ers are moving down to the South Bay and the A's are trying to.

On the other hand, I'm surprised the city of San Francisco is even interested in putting a new arena downtown, considering how they practically chased the 49ers out of town.

CCSLC signature.png

Don't call it

Frisco

I don't think the Warriors want to be secondary tenants to the Sharks. You don't pay almost half a million for an NBA team so you can do that. By being in Oakland and being bad all these years, the Bay Area has been severely undervalued and underrated as an NBA market. Positioning themselves as a San Francisco institution could help the Warriors rejoin the league's elite circuit. Of course, that also requires not being run by idiots, but maybe given time they'll learn.

in b4 bosrs1 comes in to tell us how some giant suburb is actually superior to what's widely considered one of the greatest cities in the world.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On the other hand, I'm surprised the city of San Francisco is even interested in putting a new arena downtown, considering how they practically chased the 49ers out of town.

I just think the city is tired of not having an arena large scale arena outside of the Cow Palace which has been outdated and undersized for well over a decade as much as they want to bring in the Warriors and probably jealous of the fact that both Oakland and San Jose have large state of the art arenas.

Slightly off topic, but how long do you think these mid to late 90s arenas are going to last before we start hearing talk about replacements (Shark Tank, Scottrade Center, Honda Center, Wells Fargo Center, TD Garden, Rose Garden, Tampa Bay Times Forum, BankAtlantic Center, RBC Center, Quicken Loans Arena, etc.). After all, the Georgia Dome and Edward Jones Dome are 20 years old or so and there is large discussions about replacing them.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Slightly off topic, but how long do you think these mid to late 90s arenas are going to last before we start hearing talk about replacements (Shark Tank, Scottrade Center, Honda Center, Wells Fargo Center, TD Garden, Rose Garden, Tampa Bay Times Forum, BankAtlantic Center, RBC Center, Quicken Loans Arena, etc.).

I think it will be awhile. Maybe 15 more years, at least. The Verizon Center fits in that category, and it still feels like a very new arena. Still looks and feels like it only opened a few years ago. Keep in mind that newer arenas in the 90s were built with more quality than arenas in the decades before then, so I expect that most of these arenas will "last" longer.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I guess it was because I was a kid, but I didn't think we'd be talking about gutting or replacing the Edward Jones Dome so quickly. I guess 5th graders aren't too privy to the language of a lease.

And I agree with you on the "last" part. The Bradley Center, at 25 years old, is a nicer arena than all but a handful of arenas in the rest of the world outside of North America.

I bet with these mid 90s arenas, it will be a big wave over a decade when it starts. Once one team gets a new one, the dominoes will start falling quickly.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Whipped this up a while ago:

akBs6.jpg

I'm fond of it. It uses a more famous bridge (one that actually exists right now), Gotham is better than Copperplate, and doesn't have two sizes of type. And isn't "Golden State."

If they move to San Fran. I think they would use the Golden Gate Bridge like on the original the City logo.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived