Vintage College Mascot Logos

hettinger_rl

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can almost understand it when it's someone who actually attended the school before the switch do that; but being from Milwaukee, I'm familiar with guys who were in diapers the last time Marquette was known as the Warriors, but still insist on calling them as such. Of course, it never seems to happen unless the previous mascot was a non-caucasian caricature... no one ever refers to my school (UWM) as the Gulls, even though it's a much better nickname than Panthers.

Sure is - when did they change?

I can almost understand it when it's someone who actually attended the school before the switch do that; but being from Milwaukee, I'm familiar with guys who were in diapers the last time Marquette was known as the Warriors, but still insist on calling them as such. Of course, it never seems to happen unless the previous mascot was a non-caucasian caricature... no one ever refers to my school (UWM) as the Gulls, even though it's a much better nickname than Panthers.

1956, when they became part of the UW system. We really got dicked out of a great identity because all the rest of the former State Colleges (Whitewater, Stevens Point, Platteville, etc.) were allowed to keep their colors and history when they joined the UW in 1971.

1956, when they became part of the UW system. We really got dicked out of a great identity because all the rest of the former State Colleges (Whitewater, Stevens Point, Platteville, etc.) were allowed to keep their colors and history when they joined the UW in 1971.

I've got a 1947 College Athletics book (great resource)...Wisconsin (Milwaukee) State Teachers College listed their colors as Green and White, with the Nickname as the "Green Gulls".

Interesting.

...more fun facts: the Extension University of Wisconsin in Milwaukee - which was merged into what is now known as the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee - had athletic teams as well. Colors: Cardinal and White, Nickname: Ramblers.

...more fun facts: the Extension University of Wisconsin in Milwaukee - which was merged into what is now known as the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee - had athletic teams as well. Colors: Cardinal and White, Nickname: Ramblers.

I've got a 1947 College Athletics book (great resource)...Wisconsin (Milwaukee) State Teachers College listed their colors as Green and White, with the Nickname as the "Green Gulls".

Interesting.

Yup. They adopted it in 1927 when they first became Milwaukee State Teachers College and kept it as they became Wisconsin State College of Milwaukee in 1951, although sportswriters usually referred to them simply as "Milwaukee State" through both iterations.

I also love that Ramblers nickname... they got it because the school lacked athletic facilities which forced the teams to play most (if not all) of their games on the road. The football team, for instance, had been around since 1930, but didn't play its first "home" game until 1947 in Wauwatosa. I'd advocate for UWM to become the Ramblers (since a panther can be a rambler, so it wouldn't require a change of logos or mascot) if we didn't already play in a conference that already has a team known by that name (Loyola).

Archived