Illinois re-brand coming April 16th

BroadSt_Bully

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those basketball uniforms might just be the worst I've ever seen. Those are definitely 1's and not I's. Not a fan of the shade or orange they went with either.

The alternate logo that blends the I, architecture from campus, and vertical stripes is a great concept that screams to be improved. If Nike had put more than 5 minutes into the design, it really could have been something.

I really wish I could find something nice to say about them so I don't sound like a troll on this board, but I can't. Nike did an absolutely pathetic job, in my opinion.

It's _____________ and Toledo still sucks.

[insert time here]

I'm sorry, I can't stop laughing at downstate Illinois and "infused with speed." Yeah, we know. Science, bitch!

The players can probably feel the added speed when they put on the jersey...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Those basketball uniforms might just be the worst I've ever seen. Those are definitely 1's and not I's. Not a fan of the shade or orange they went with either.

The alternate logo that blends the I, architecture from campus, and vertical stripes is a great concept that screams to be improved. If Nike had put more than 5 minutes into the design, it really could have been something.

I really wish I could find something nice to say about them so I don't sound like a troll on this board, but I can't. Nike did an absolutely pathetic job, in my opinion.

I keep seeing those sentiments about this logo and I can't agree. I don't see how it's any worse than any school that uses a simple letter for a logo.

I keep seeing those sentiments about this logo and I can't agree. I don't see how it's any worse than any school that uses a simple letter for a logo.

I think you sort of answered the question within your wondering.

You don't add complexity to a logo just for the sake of having it. And I think any time your alternate logo is a more complex version of your primary, you're making a mistake (I'm looking at you, St. Louis Blues).

If a letter can stand on it's own—and often times it can in collegiate sports especially—why muck things up?

I haven't any issues with alternate logos, but make it worthwhile. Nike made something that will sell to a really loyal fan base that may appreciate good design but doesn't recognize when they're getting mediocre design.

The love the fan base has shown for this mediocre badge/shield/POS makes me ill. Not because I think Illinois' fan base is unique in their lack of demand for great design, but because it means it's probably sticking around for the long haul. Wish we'd demand better.

"Illinois was a school without a mascot, without a powerful symbol, without a hook on which to hang their designs."

http://bit.ly/1rfTpfv

I'm not sold on the shield, and I don't think it's strong enough to solve the problems listed above.

But longtime Illinois beat writer Mark Tupper loves it:

"Nike has created what I believe will become the school's most powerful image since the circular Chief Illiniwek logo. That image is the Victory Shield."

H/T Phil Hecken

As a lifelong Illini fan, I think the new football uniforms are nearly perfect. I love them, particularly the orange helmet and all white uniforms. I love the subtle Red Grange stripes, and I also like that they went traditional with all stripes and didn't try to do anything too funky there. I think cleaning up the block I was a no-brainer.

As for the new shield logo, I'm still on the fence. I think it's sort of pleasing to look at, but it screams of some sort of golf country club logo. And the bigger and more prominent it is on a shirt or hat, the weaker it looks. I do think it looks good on the football uniform as a small accent, though. I just think Nike was overthinking it. I think they should have gone more literal with the World War I soldier theme, which is what the columns at Memorial Stadium refer to. I say either create an abstract soldier logo or have a logo that looks like an actual WWI shield or medal and simply stick an "I" in the middle of it. I think the stripes look cool, so you could put those in the background behind the "I" inside the shield/medal. If it's a medal, put the words "Fighting Illini" around the edge. Done.

"Illinois was a school without a mascot, without a powerful symbol, without a hook on which to hang their designs."

I'm not sold on the shield, and I don't think it's strong enough to solve the problems listed above.

"Nike has created what I believe will become the school's most powerful image since the circular Chief Illiniwek logo. That image is the Victory Shield."

H/T Phil Hecken

A "powerful" logo? Sure, I could see that. Still doesn't solve the problem of not having a mascot.

H/T Phil Hecken

A "powerful" logo? Sure, I could see that. Still doesn't solve the problem of not having a mascot.
Can't they just make some random animal a mascot

As a lifelong Illini fan, I think the new football uniforms are nearly perfect. I love them, particularly the orange helmet and all white uniforms. I love the subtle Red Grange stripes, and I also like that they went traditional with all stripes and didn't try to do anything too funky there. I think cleaning up the block I was a no-brainer.

As for the new shield logo, I'm still on the fence. I think it's sort of pleasing to look at, but it screams of some sort of golf country club logo. And the bigger and more prominent it is on a shirt or hat, the weaker it looks. I do think it looks good on the football uniform as a small accent, though. I just think Nike was overthinking it. I think they should have gone more literal with the World War I soldier theme, which is what the columns at Memorial Stadium refer to. I say either create an abstract soldier logo or have a logo that looks like an actual WWI shield or medal and simply stick an "I" in the middle of it. I think the stripes look cool, so you could put those in the background behind the "I" inside the shield/medal. If it's a medal, put the words "Fighting Illini" around the edge. Done.

So basically take something like this Kitchener Rangers logo...

bwvycsbvgjjd9bl2wt3elo8uy.gif

... change the red to orange, maybe slap the "Block I" on his helmet, and call it a day?

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

So basically take something like this Kitchener Rangers logo...

bwvycsbvgjjd9bl2wt3elo8uy.gif

... change the red to orange, maybe slap the "Block I" on his helmet, and call it a day?

Yeah, maybe not. Go with an actual shield or medal shape then and throw the "I" in it. The problem with the "shield" logo Nike came up with is that it's not the shape of an actual shield.

There's absolutely no need for a mascot. But a hint of a theme would be nice. This rebrand didn't give that.

Which is perhaps why no uniform seems to have any consistent treatment.

The reason that the uniforms have no consistent theme is that they let each coach help design their uniforms.

There's absolutely no need for a mascot. But a hint of a theme would be nice. This rebrand didn't give that.

Which is perhaps why no uniform seems to have any consistent treatment.

The reason that the uniforms have no consistent theme is that they let each coach help design their uniforms.

Yep. Which sounds as silly as it turns out to be.

Archived