Illinois re-brand coming April 16th

BroadSt_Bully

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So am I missing something, or is every shot of the football uniform a monochrome combo? White on white, navy on navy, and a hideous orange on orange (that last one basically a visual kick in the crotch)? Has there been some sort of rule passed that says every new college football design needs to mimic the one-color tendencies of low level high schools? This would be at least a bit of an upgrade if they would consistently wear contrasting combinations, but just like the Miami reveal, that's not what's being displayed.

I hate the current state of CFB aesthetics.

Has there been some sort of rule passed that says every new college football design needs to mimic the one-color tendencies of low level high schools?

Well, in Illinois' case, the design aesthetic perfectly matches the competency level of the football coach.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I think the new look is actually pretty sharp. Football and bball are the only ones that matters and the football unis look much better than the old ones.

I think Nike did a pretty good job with the iconic FSU look too (other than some colorblocking choices I wouldn't have made). Even Miami looks pretty good if you get rid of the anthracite unis and orange helmets.

So am I missing something, or is every shot of the football uniform a monochrome combo? White on white, navy on navy, and a hideous orange on orange (that last one basically a visual kick in the crotch)? Has there been some sort of rule passed that says every new college football design needs to mimic the one-color tendencies of low level high schools? This would be at least a bit of an upgrade if they would consistently wear contrasting combinations, but just like the Miami reveal, that's not what's being displayed.

There's a shot of the classic orange helmet/blue jersey combo out there somewhere. I'm in phone now but I'll post it when I'm in class if nobody does before. I really, really hope we see that combo a lot even though I know that's just wishful thinking with all the mix and match we'll be seeing. They've worn orange way too much under Beckman. I think thy only wore the blue jerseys once last year and it might've been with the blue helmets which means they didn't wear the combo thats been the primary ever since there's been colored helmets.
Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

There's a shot of the classic orange helmet/blue jersey combo out there somewhere. I'm in phone now but I'll post it when I'm in class if nobody does before. I really, really hope we see that combo a lot even though I know that's just wishful thinking with all the mix and match we'll be seeing. They've worn orange way too much under Beckman. I think thy only wore the blue jerseys once last year and it might've been with the blue helmets which means they didn't wear the combo thats been the primary ever since there's been colored helmets.

Do your fans traditionally prefer orange/blue/white or orange/blue/orange?

fyzdAo7.jpg

Why designers can't understand how to create consistent stripe patterns is beyond me. On Orange set, helmet and jersey have white in between the navy, while the pants have no white in between the navy stripes. It's almost as though they designed the top and bottom independent from each other.

I'm not really sure actually. If I had to guess, I'd say it's pretty split with maybe more people preferring orange pants. Personally, I'd go with orange pants on the road and white pants at home most of the time with orange for a couple of games.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

That's a perfect example to what makes this stuff so frustrating to me. It's not that these are cover your eyes ugly, they're just incredibly underwhelming with design decisions that range from head scratching to bad.

Illinois looks better than it did a week ago, but this was still a big time missed opportunity.

Maybe Nike is overwhelmed with work and thus isn't giving its full attention to the designs that are going out. Reminds me of when an art director sees the initial concept and leaves it to entry level designers to complete without doubling back to check that all is in order.

I'm not really sure actually. If I had to guess, I'd say it's pretty split with maybe more people preferring orange pants. Personally, I'd go with orange pants on the road and white pants at home most of the time with orange for a couple of games.

I think there's a pretty good number of people who love white pants and helmets, be it all white or white/blue/white or white/orange/white.

I grew up on the Illini wearing orange/white/orange and orange/navy/orange, so those are the combinations I like most regularly. There's room for other cool ones every now and then, though.

Maybe Nike is overwhelmed with work and thus isn't giving its full attention to the designs that are going out. Reminds me of when an art director sees the initial concept and leaves it to entry level designers to complete without doubling back to check that all is in order.

I think this is entirely possible. I don't think Illinois drew Nike's full attention by any means. What saddens me is that this fan base was starved for love that they can't see just how little they actually got.

fyzdAo7.jpg

Why designers can't understand how to create consistent stripe patterns is beyond me. On Orange set, helmet and jersey have white in between the navy, while the pants have no white in between the navy stripes. It's almost as though they designed the top and bottom independent from each other.

But it matches the white helmet and jersey. Maybe they had that in mind when designing the pants?

fyzdAo7.jpg

But it matches the white helmet and jersey. Maybe they had that in mind when designing the pants?

I am hoping tonight during the unveiling that they should all the possible combinations.

spacer.png

For the stripe, I would say do either one or the other.

1) If you want a 100% consistent stripe, great, use orange in between the navy throughout, regardless of background.

2) If you want to use the white in between the navy, use it consistently when set on an orange background.

For the stripe, I would say do either one or the other.

1) If you want a 100% consistent stripe, great, use orange in between the navy throughout, regardless of background.

2) If you want to use the white in between the navy, use it consistently when set on an orange background.

100% agree. Either you do a stripe where the colors never change (which sometimes means stripes "disappear" into the background color) or you do it where you adjust it consistently based on the color it's on. You never do both.

Helmets, pants, and uniforms ARE interchangeable, so not designing with that in mind is short-sighted. Especially the way teams dress these days.

I like the golf pencil logo.

Oh, it's a shield! And it's supposed to resonate with the fanbase because it is loosely based on an historic archway on campus which isn't actually in that shape and which sat in storage for almost 60 years before being put back out in 1994. That bang-up research is the kind of leg work Nike did in lieu of coming up with a new block-I logo.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived