Illinois re-brand coming April 16th

BroadSt_Bully

I'm sure I've said it here before, Will, but I absolutely loved that entire set you did. It's a shame those helmets wont see the field, but hopefully Nike comes up with something close to as good as that.

I got my ticket in the mail today, too! Going solo since none of my friends here care about it or probably even know that it's happening.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure I've said it here before, Will, but I absolutely loved that entire set you did. It's a shame those helmets wont see the field, but hopefully Nike comes up with something close to as good as that.

I got my ticket in the mail today, too! Going solo since none of my friends here care about it or probably even know that it's happening.

Yeah that helmet concept is amazing. I'll be surprised if Nike comes up with something better. Not that I don't think they will come up with something good but just that that one will be extremely hard to beat.

I'd be willing to bet that the torso of the uniforms will be one color, and the "sleeves" will be another, or better yet with a pattern. It's a benchmark for nike nowadays, and it's not a trend that I think is creative in the least.

I feel bad for Illini fans. Hopefully they Dont completely abandon those gorgeous primary helmets.

Which helmets do you think are gorgeous?

I will jump into the fray on this one:

5130OXB-COL.jpg

New-Illinois-Football-Helmet-2.jpg

Neither of these helmets is gorgeous. The blue one is so-so. The orange helmet is awful. I loathe that blue facemask. Other Illini fans have mentioned that a block "I" just doesn't work on a helmet; it's too vertical. I agree.

I hate to disagree, but I have to, but I believe the orange helmet is gorgeous. I hope they will wear it consistently like they have been doing. Illinois has never had a great football program, but wearing orange helmets is like tradition. Let's hope they keep them that way. I love them.

The "I" logo I can live with. As long as they continue to wear the orange helmets.

Illinois, Cuse and UVA all used to have nice and distinguishable navy/orange identities. The recent uniform trends have turned these 3 schools into a muddled mess of randomness. Maybe this rebrand can fix past mistakes.

I agree with this first point. But I'm not hopeful Nike will make them all distinct. Last year, Virginia had orange jerseys and orange helmets. The Illini started wearing navy helmets, and orange took over as the primary jersey colors. We know that this new identity will at very least feature 3 helmets, jerseys and pants, in navy, orange and white. There will be no "uniform" since they will basically switch it up every week. It seems that instead of establishing an identity with one look (such as orange helmets with navy jerseys and white pants), the new world solution is an awful custom font spread across a variety of colored jerseys, including gray.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I think I've found the new font. These Illinois shorts were added to Nike's site today. Illinois is in a font I've never seen before. At first I assumed it was just a font Nike used for all schools, but it seems Nike is using school-specific fonts on the other shorts I've found.

nike-illini.jpg

I think I've found the new font. These Illinois shorts were added to Nike's site today. Illinois is in a font I've never seen before. At first I assumed it was just a font Nike used for all schools, but it seems Nike is using school-specific fonts on the other shorts I've found.

nike-illini.jpg

I like that script. Modern but still keeps the traditional feel.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

nike-illini.jpg

I like that the I's are ones.

It's bad. Real bad. And in it being italicized, it 1) still won't look good on helmets or jerseys, and 2) pays homage to a terrible logo nobody wanted to pay homage to, anyway. I hope that isn't the wordmark.

Also, it could just be the photoshop, but that orange looks more burnt, like the Bears' orange. I hope that's not what they settled on.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

nike-illini.jpg

Not bad.

Looks like they went the lazy trendy route, which is what I feared given they didn't include good in-house designers like our own Will-ini in the process. That script reminds me so much of Mizzou's. Not exactly at all. But the super bold, italic, with "motion serifs". Gross.

I'm particularly pessimistic about this. That leak isn't helping.

It's not the worst thing in the world, but the Is looking like 1s really hurts it. I don't mind the serifs on the L or N, but it looks like 1LL1NO1S. Doesn't help that the worst letter appears three times in the school name and three times (five if you add "fighting") in the nickname.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Archived