Illinois re-brand coming April 16th

BroadSt_Bully

I really hope this rebrand echos the Florida State one. I would love to see a nice, respectful clean update to their Chief Illiniwek logo. I would really like to see something that differentiates the Illini from Syracuse and Clemson.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hope this rebrand echos the Florida State one. I would love to see a nice, respectful clean update to their Chief Illiniwek logo. I would really like to see something that differentiates the Illini from Syracuse and Clemson.

Chief Illiniwek is long gone, there is no way the NCAA would allow them to bring that back

I'd be willing to bet that the torso of the uniforms will be one color, and the "sleeves" will be another, or better yet with a pattern. It's a benchmark for nike nowadays, and it's not a trend that I think is creative in the least.

I feel bad for Illini fans. Hopefully they Dont completely abandon those gorgeous primary helmets.

Which helmets do you think are gorgeous?

I will jump into the fray on this one:

5130OXB-COL.jpg

New-Illinois-Football-Helmet-2.jpg

Neither of these helmets is gorgeous. The blue one is so-so. The orange helmet is awful. I loathe that blue facemask. Other Illini fans have mentioned that a block "I" just doesn't work on a helmet; it's too vertical. I agree.

I'd be willing to bet that the torso of the uniforms will be one color, and the "sleeves" will be another, or better yet with a pattern. It's a benchmark for nike nowadays, and it's not a trend that I think is creative in the least.

I feel bad for Illini fans. Hopefully they Dont completely abandon those gorgeous primary helmets.

5130OXB-COL.jpg

Neither of these helmets is gorgeous. The blue one is so-so. The orange helmet is awful. I loathe that blue facemask. Other Illini fans have mentioned that a block "I" just doesn't work on a helmet; it's too vertical. I agree.

The blue one needs some stripes, but that navy facemaks on the orange helmet is a thing of beauty. The only alternate would be in white, but to each their own.

spacer.png

I think the blue helmet is gutter trash and the orange helmet looks awful with the blue mask and the I, which is too vertical like you said. I think the orange helmet was so much better with a white or grey facemask (sue me), and a wordmark logo.

Also, I fully expect contrasting sleeves with something sublimated on them and at least three helmets with some trendy finish. I've said it before but I think the basketball font and zigzag pattern would have been a great place to start for the rebrand. I think they are unique and would be instantly identifiable. However, I doubt that was the direction they went. I guess we will all know for sure on Wednesday.

It seems like Illinois has a new re-branding every year or two.

They've had the same football uniforms (helmets excluded) since like 2006. And I agree with everyone that's said the block I doesn't look good on a helmet, it's just too vertical. The route I hope they go (unless we see a new logo Wednesday that fits well on a helmet) is an arched ILLINI script similar to the 70s/80s helmets.

I started typing up some predictions for what we'll see Friday. I got through the logos and started doing the football helmets when I realized I have absolutely no idea what it's going to be. Still holding out hope for traditionalish uniforms (Oregon State) but I'm not holding my breath. Also really hoping they don't add gray/silver, but I'm afraid that's gonna happen too.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I like the block I on the helmet, but I've never liked the double outline I. Its never used consistently and personally looks much "cheaper" than the simple single outline I that is on the Navy Helmets.

I would prefer "ILLINI" somehow on the helmets over the I, or at least having it an option.

Burn the Giants ripoff word mark to the ground. That has never looked good.

I like the block I on the helmet, but I've never liked the double outline I. Its never used consistently and personally looks much "cheaper" than the simple single outline I that is on the Navy Helmets.

I would prefer "ILLINI" somehow on the helmets over the I, or at least having it an option.

Burn the Giants ripoff word mark to the ground. That has never looked good.

Unpopular opinion...I loved the Giants ripoff. I hate the block 'I'. I would be fine with 'ILLINI' on the helmet. Also Illinois' primary helmet should be orange.

First and foremost... I think more than 1 letter on a football helmet looks terrible. A monogram is the exception (the Oregon State OS). But stuff like "TCU" and "ILLINI" on a helmet just doesn't look like football to me.

I have a feeling we are going to see some sort of pattern or over sized logo/image on the upcoming Illinois rebrand. The ILLINOIS looked terrible but it seems the block I isn't too popular either. I would love to see an over sized head dress, but with the PC nature of everything, I don't think its going to happen.

Is anyone else extremely surprised we are 2 days out and not ONE leak has hit?

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

5130OXB-COL.jpg

The blue one needs some stripes, but that navy facemaks on the orange helmet is a thing of beauty. The only alternate would be in white, but to each their own.
I liked the previous orange helmet myself, but I've gotten used to seeing the current orange one, and it's okay as is. They both look Good, though.

It could be just that I'm partial to orange & Blue color schemes, though. :P

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

First and foremost... I think more than 1 letter on a football helmet looks terrible. A monogram is the exception (the Oregon State OS). But stuff like "TCU" and "ILLINI" on a helmet just doesn't look like football to me.

I have a feeling we are going to see some sort of pattern or over sized logo/image on the upcoming Illinois rebrand. The ILLINOIS looked terrible but it seems the block I isn't too popular either. I would love to see an over sized head dress, but with the PC nature of everything, I don't think its going to happen.

Morgan+and+Eatman.jpg

more than one letter can look good

ohio_football_helmet.jpg

24-new-cal-football-helmets-.jpeg

& a shameless plug...

Illinois.png

More than one letter can look really good, a lot of the time...

I agree, I think a script can look very good on a helmet if done correctly, and yes I did like the giants ripoff, but the arched ILLINI is better in my opinion. I would not be disappointed if Illinois rolled out a helmet similar to that white one.

Nike is really good at not leaking anything. The Bucs' new uniforms weren't leaked until about a day until the unveiling (I think).

I like both of these helmets, particularly the orange one. I think the "I" looks great on the helmet. And given the placement of the holes/slots on today's helmets, I think that makes it work even more.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

ohio_football_helmet.jpg

24-new-cal-football-helmets-.jpeg

& a shameless plug...

Illinois.png

More than one letter can look really good, a lot of the time...

I've always loved your arched "ILLINI" helmet logo with zigzag design in the middle, particularly on the white helment. I much prefer the orange letters to the blue for some reason. And I really, really like the gray facemask.

Illinois, Cuse and UVA all used to have nice and distinguishable navy/orange identities. The recent uniform trends have turned these 3 schools into a muddled mess of randomness. Maybe this rebrand can fix past mistakes.

Syracuse is in need of some new uniforms in the worst way.

Archived