Illinois re-brand coming April 16th

BroadSt_Bully

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other than the helmets being kinda garbage, I really, really, really like the Illini's football uniforms.

They're a fairly cohesive uniform that's relatively traditional/representative of what a "traditional" Illinois uniform would be in a modern era. I think they did a really nice job there, personally.

I like the orange helmet (single outline I! Rejoice!) and the subtle stripes in the jerseys which I assume connect with red grange but... Everything else I'm pretty disappointed. There is no character here. Not really sure what's up with that secondary. Just use the single outline I and be done with it.

Ugh. Gray alternate for basketball.

Sa6LIral.jpg

Football has sublimated vertical stripes. (interesting...)

wzVdcOzl.jpg

Full set of pics: http://m.imgur.com/a/NINas

Collar logo is kind of nice though.

The sublimated stripes are supposed to mimic the stripes on the Red Grange era uniforms.

Should have spent that money on animating his corpse. It would have done them more good in the long run.

And do the "1"s in the font symbolize the number of games they will win next season?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, and to meet the defenders of the designers halfway. The incompetent halfwit designers and the incompetent halfwit MAC athletic director, incompetent halfwit MAC basketball coach, and very incompetent eighthwit MAC football coach should all be terminated for this. For whatever definition of terminated you choose to use.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The whole thing is pretty underwhelming for all the hype that came with it. But jesus the block I on the helmets is truly a massive eyesore, like a compromise they can't get away from.

I do love the nod to the Grange era unis though, those were a true staple of old school Illinois football.

Midway.png

I don't have much of an opinion on Illinois new look as I'm not that knowledgeable about the Illini brand, but just in terms of design I'd say its not bad. Which at this point is a win for Nike. The italic font is unfortunate as are the number one letter I's but they are still pretty tame by Nike standards. We have seen some crazy fonts lately and this ain't one of them. Its just basic but again since I don't know the brand, based on some of your responses, this would've been a time for Nike to get weird. Or a least unique. The sublimation is a nice nod to the past that isn't over done, so that's a plus. I see a clean, modern uniform that doesn't make me sad so I'm giving Nike/Illinois the thumbs up. That new logo looks pretty cool too. I don't know what it means but at least it's not just an 'I' anymore.

Here's a good look at the alternate logo.

IlliniShield_zpsd0815f8f.jpg

Not sure right now what my overall opinion on the rebrand is. I'll probably wait until it's all officially unveiled and I see it live tomorrow night to write up a long post on it.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I'm not sure the changes we've seen so far qualify as a rebrand, and that's probably a good thing. Looks like Illinois. The details are nice but too small/subtle to notice (football Grange stripes, basketball triangle pattern). Even the 1LL1NO1S wordmark seems like an evolution of the Giants script, to me anyway.

Not sure I like the shield... why bother? I'm sure Nike will say it "evokes the spirit of Red Grange and ... America."

Archived