Illinois re-brand coming April 16th

BroadSt_Bully

I'm so not looking forward to this.

I want to be excited, especially after watching all the videos and hearing reports, but I have a feeling that it's going to be overly trendy and disappointing. It seems like every time you hear that a design is sticking to tradition with modern touches it really means that it's the latest trend with a small nod to the past somewhere. I'm hoping this is different, but I just don't realistically think that's going to happen.

Oh well, I put my name in for tickets to the unveiling and I'll hope I'm wrong.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another teaser video with a blurry picture of the basketball uniform at 3:39. Can't really tell much about the wordmark or number font though. I will say that I like the white wordmark on orange we have right now over the blue that it looks like they'll be going back to.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I like the two-toned wordmark on one of the basketball jerseys. Would a two-tone number font be permissible for the football?

Word mark yes. Numbers no. I don't think it's something that would fit Illinois as much as it would someone like Baylor or Oregon.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I like the two-toned wordmark on one of the basketball jerseys. Would a two-tone number font be permissible for the football?

I don't see why not:

4SKZiYK.jpg

The NCAA banned two-tone and gradient numbers last year. They gave some teams a year to change them.

IIRC, that ban was actually voted down last year.

Not voted down, but Arizona was allowed to keep them for last season because the redesign happened before the rule change. This season, the numbers will be a solid color.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

That's my favorite part about the current basketball uniforms. It looked awful on the orange and blue jerseys (which is why they changed it after the first half season they wore them) but I really liked the look on the white jerseys.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

The two-tone numbers that Miami had were great. IMO, the rule should apply only to gradients or other kitschy design, but that leaves a lot of gray area and room for interpretation so I see why they banned it unilaterally.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I'd be willing to bet that the torso of the uniforms will be one color, and the "sleeves" will be another, or better yet with a pattern. It's a benchmark for nike nowadays, and it's not a trend that I think is creative in the least.

I feel bad for Illini fans. Hopefully they Dont completely abandon those gorgeous primary helmets.

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

Something tells me that Nike will expand upon an already existing design element from somewhere in Illinois' logo package, hence the two-tone speculation. They did it to some extent with FSU and the feather, and Miami with the ibis. Instead of completely reinventing the wheel (minus the new Seminoles pattern) these redesigns have done a good job at maintaining continuity, which is great for brand strength.

Midway.png

Not voted down, but Arizona was allowed to keep them for last season because the redesign happened before the rule change. This season, the numbers will be a solid color.

The rule actually states that the numbers must be in complete contrast with the jersey. Those numbers on the Miami jersey are in complete contrast. That's why Arizona and Boise State got to keep their gradient numbers.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

The rule actually states that the numbers must be in complete contrast with the jersey. Those numbers on the Miami jersey are in complete contrast. That's why Arizona and Boise State got to keep their gradient numbers.

it also said not patterns within the numbers, gradients fall within those rules. It's just those schools were grandfathered in for a year so they wouldn't have to get completely new uniforms, but next year they will have to change the numbers

I'd be willing to bet that the torso of the uniforms will be one color, and the "sleeves" will be another, or better yet with a pattern. It's a benchmark for nike nowadays, and it's not a trend that I think is creative in the least.

I feel bad for Illini fans. Hopefully they Dont completely abandon those gorgeous primary helmets.

Which helmets do you think are gorgeous?

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Which helmets do you think are gorgeous?

I will jump into the fray on this one:

5130OXB-COL.jpg

New-Illinois-Football-Helmet-2.jpg

spacer.png

Archived