Illinois re-brand coming April 16th

BroadSt_Bully

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like they copy and pasted from some other school's release. Ugh.

HAHAHAHA. They actually did this. Unreal.

Nike's description of the new Illinois numerals:

Custom athletic numerals have been designed to complement the word-marks, as well as unite athletics across multiple sports. The letterforms are bold and energetic, infused with speed. The serifs are sleek and powerful, drawing inspiration from the fast cuts and aggressive playing style of Red Grange.

Nike's description of the Mizzou font 2 years ago:

These unique characteristics of the typeface are infused with speed and the serifs are sleek and powerful drawing inspiration from the ear of the tiger.

Yeah, a lot of the unveiling was really cheesy. I was kind of laughing to myself at some of the descriptions they were giving. The Nike guy they had there probably said "superhero" five times when talking about the shield logo and the athletes. And, wow, using the same description for a number font for two teams (especially that are rivals) is just bad.

Also, just noticed the tattoos on Simon Cvijanovic's (football #68) arms. He has a giant throwback Chief Illiniwek tattoo on his left arm and a smaller throwback Chief Wahoo tattoo on his right arm under the throwback Illinois football helmet.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

HAHAHAHA. They actually did this. Unreal.

Nike's description of the new Illinois numerals:

Custom athletic numerals have been designed to complement the word-marks, as well as unite athletics across multiple sports. The letterforms are bold and energetic, infused with speed. The serifs are sleek and powerful, drawing inspiration from the fast cuts and aggressive playing style of Red Grange.

Nike's description of the Mizzou font 2 years ago:

These unique characteristics of the typeface are infused with speed and the serifs are sleek and powerful drawing inspiration from the ear of the tiger.

Wow. That is terrible.

Really underwhelming. They look like an orange and blue Mizzou with a new political campaign style logo. Overall just entirely mediocre, it reads as an extremely poor attempt to follow in the tradition of Northwestern's rebranding with Under Armour.

I love that Nike even adds their BS to logos that have been around for decades:

BLOCK I

Illinois is a place of crossroads. It is a connection point between East and West...

Ahhh but remember, this is Nike's version of the block I. Totally different. -__-

illini-new-shield-logo.jpg

This seems to be the explanation they're gonna go with...

Wow. Just...wow.

I usually shake my head at Nike's desperate attempts to justify their designs. I nod in facetious agreement at curves of viking ships, pirates' swords inspired fonts, jaguars jumping out of bushes, etc. But, this even embarrasses me as a uniform and logo fan. Really, Illinois? You're hoping to make this the PRIMARY LOGO for your athletic teams, pending fan approval? Do you REALLY think people are going to like this? How much money is this costing you?

Some weird brick arch with two towers and a symmetrical entrance is supposed to be represented by the letter "T" with an "I" cut out of it sitting on top of a triangle with six vertical orange stripes which is supposed to represent the four vertical stripes worn by someone who played for you nearly a hundred years ago?

You literally couldn't design a more phallic logo if you tried, and worse than that, your phallic logo points downward, which insinuates submission or defeat. If you want to come erect, sail it loud, and sail it proud.

Illinois tries hard to push the "redesign" in 2014...realized they failed big time and spends 2015 in limbo with an expensive, but un-sellable logo, and "redesigns" again in 2016.

You think it would be easier to design something good the first time than to roll out a new look every few years.

Man. Look no further than some of the descriptions put out by Nike to see the overall lack of depth that went into this stuff.

The primary “I” logo is at the center of the badge, encased by two facing Fs that symbolize the fight that Illini encounter when they take the field of play. The Victory Badge is grounded by vertical stripes that reference the columns at Memorial Stadium, paying tribute to the original Fighting Illini who gave their lives for their country. The mark ends in a powerful V shape, which stands for victory.

Two Fs encasing the I? C'mon. That reeks of "meaning" added after the fact. And whether it was intentional or not, it's stupid? What does a second backwards F represent? Fighting Illini gnithgiF? The stripes representing columns and the shape being a V for victory may have been considered throughout, but they feel shallow.

The numbers are "infused with speed." WTF. That doesn't mean anything. That'd be a lame and expected thing to say about italic numbers. These aren't. And serifs. There aren't any serifs...

*taking crack at better bull :censored: explanation for two Fs.

The two Fs represent the Wastes of Forgottonia in the West and the Formerly Fetid Swamplands in the East.

Ford County, named after the governor who possibly fell victim to an LDS curse in retaliation for the assassination of Joseph Smith and subsequent driving out of the Mormons, culminating in the violent/early deaths of his family and personal interment in Peoria's Springdale Cemetery-a literal fate worse than death*, would also work for the East..

*This is what happens when you let Peorians run the state.

Yeah, a lot of the unveiling was really cheesy. I was kind of laughing to myself at some of the descriptions they were giving. The Nike guy they had there probably said "superhero" five times when talking about the shield logo and the athletes. And, wow, using the same description for a number font for two teams (especially that are rivals) is just bad.

Also, just noticed the tattoos on Simon Cvijanovic's (football #68) arms. He has a giant throwback Chief Illiniwek tattoo on his left arm and a smaller throwback Chief Wahoo tattoo on his right arm under the throwback Illinois football helmet.

"We used the superhero motif because Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were filmed in Chicago. And there's a statue of Superman in Metropolis."

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't understand the backlash. The only real issues with the uniforms are the italic wordmark and the inconsistent stripe on the football uniforms. I mean, look at what happened to Syracuse. Syracuse may have the worst uniforms in College athletics...

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

The new rebrand is just ok. I really wish they had implemented the state of Illinois in there somewhere. I really like this football helmet minus the stars.

1385427314000-USP-NCAA-Football-Illinois

8385847.jpeg

See how good that orange helmet looks compared to metallic orange. It's a huge difference in color.

Everyone loves a roundel.

Overall, I feel like this is a major upgrade to the football uniforms only. I love the fact that their main colors were used throughout the uniform with no crazy alternate (Grey or Black) added to the set. I gave this upgrade a 8.62 out of 10 as I love the helmets (facemasks), pants, and jerseys.

spacer.png

The backlash (and there isn't much from the U of I community—I'm fighting an uphill battle), largely stems from the fact that they didn't deliver anything particularly great.

They delivered better. Sort of. The football uniforms are better. I can't say that any of the other uniforms are. It's good to have clearly standardized logos, but the logos are mediocre. And the now standardized fonts are mediocre (numbers) and bad (word marks).

This wasn't just supposed to be the Illini getting some new jerseys, it was supped to be a turning point rebrand. And with that standard, it feels like a let down.

I think one of the worst parts is how much they harped on consistency with in the brand compared to how little there actually is.

The backlash (and there isn't much from the U of I communityI'm fighting an uphill battle), largely stems from the fact that they didn't deliver anything particularly great.

They delivered better. Sort of. The football uniforms are better. I can't say that any of the other uniforms are. It's good to have clearly standardized logos, but the logos are mediocre. And the now standardized fonts are mediocre (numbers) and bad (word marks).

This wasn't just supposed to be the Illini getting some new jerseys, it was supped to be a turning point rebrand. And with that standard, it feels like a let down.

I think one of the worst parts is how much they harped on consistency with in the brand compared to how little there actually is.

Maybe Illinois didn't like what Nike was offering and went with a more conservative approach.

I don't understand the backlash. The only real issues with the uniforms are the italic wordmark and the inconsistent stripe on the football uniforms. I mean, look at what happened to Syracuse. Syracuse may have the worst uniforms in College athletics...

Any helmet color besides orange for Illinois is an abomination.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived