Illinois re-brand coming April 16th

BroadSt_Bully

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this "rebrand" needed a new primary more than anything, and so far that shield is not up to snuff (or even displayed in that manner in any of the photos I've seen other than ... women's soccer?).

Maybe they decided the block I works.

There were rumors even before the leaks that the secondary logo may become the primary logo down the road if it is received well by fans.

I like the golf pencil logo.

Oh, it's a shield! And it's supposed to resonate with the fanbase because it is loosely based on an historic archway on campus which isn't actually in that shape and which sat in storage for almost 60 years before being put back out in 1994. That bang-up research is the kind of leg work Nike did in lieu of coming up with a new block-I logo.

Are you talking about this?

New+Shield+I+Logo.jpg

spacer.png

illini-new-shield-logo.jpg

This seems to be the explanation they're gonna go with...

While that's almost certainly what each part is suppose to represent, that's not an official graphic explaining it. The picture of Red Grange is from when he was on the Bears and it uses the old block I. I'm still not sure what my final opinion on this logo is, but I'm leaning towards somewhere below average. It doesn't look bad, but it just doesn't really seem like a sports logo to me. I hope it never takes over the block I as the primary logo.

And the silver basketball jerseys seem to be almost universally praised by fans right now, but that's the only part of this that I don't like at all. I think an orange wordmark would make that look pretty good. I still wouldn't like it since it's silver for silver's sake, but it would at least look good.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

As far as the football uniforms are concerned...

Good:

• 3 Sided Stripe - Differentiates from Clemson and Syracuse, but nothing crazy
  • Number Font - Although it isn't a TRUE block font, it is unique, clean, and NOT ITALIC!
  • Sublimated Stripes - THIS is how the sublimation should work - Its not over powering, its subtle.
  • Matte Helmets

Bad:

• Although I think the shoulder stripes are an improvement, I think the colors and stripes will get folded under the pads once bodies start colliding.
  • As everyone has said already... WHY CANT YOU DAMN DESIGNERS KEEP CONSISTENT STRIPING!
  • Blue jerseys need outline around the numbers... they are the only uniform not to have an outline.
  • I wish the 2-toned wordmark would have been found in the football uniforms, possibly on the numbers (and not just on the white basketball jersey)

Ugly:

• 1LL1NO1S font - The I/1 isn't even the ugly part... its that they are italic. Italic needs to die.
  • The alternate logo - I like the "justification" of it... but it looks like someone took a :censored:. Why are there hooks on the top? Those hooks aren't on the campus building...

Indifferent:

• Collars - I dont like that they are over sized, but they don't seem nearly as distracting as the Texans uniforms.

With all that in mind... I think the football uniforms are a huge upgrade. If they could fix the inconsistent striping, these uniforms would be fantastic. Even with the bad, italic wordmark, 8/10

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

have they used this number font before? because it's almost hard to believe Nike designed a font that doesn't look like complete :censored:. i was giving a lot of praise to FSU as Nike's best design in a long time and certainly of this year. until now. from top to bottom i think this is Nike's best. it feels like a combination of a great client and designer partnership. Illinois wanting something unique but tasteful and Nike showing proper restraint and beautiful execution. save for Cal and Georgia, the last 2 years have featured some decent work by Nike only to be completely screwed by a horrible number font. this is a very refreshing and exciting identity across all sports. well done Nike, good to know you can still do good work.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

What I will expect:

4 Helmet Combos (White, Blue, Orange, Chrome)

3 Jersey Combos (White, Blue, Orange)

3 Pant Combos (White, Blue, Orange)

Looks like I got most of predictions right expect the chrome helmet (but who knows that they might roll one out during the season).

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

http://www.fightingillini.com/identity/html/orange/

Logos

Primary: I like that they kept the block I as the primary. I don't think they could have come up with anything new that didn't look too forced. There's only some really slight modifications too it and I'm fine with that.

Secondary: I think the shield looks alright at the neck of the football jerseys and waistband of the basketball shorts. I don't like it by itself on a t-shirt or the soccer uniforms though. Hopefully they keep it small like it is now and don't make a helmet or anything with it on there later.

Wordmark: Don't really like it. It's the one thing from the rebrand that I think will look dated in a few years. You don't need an italicized wordmark and the fact that the Is look like 1s when there are so many Is in the wordmark is bad.

Helmets

Love them even if I don't think the block I is a great helmet logo. The orange helmet looks amazing in person. They called it an "anodized" finish. Never heard that for a football helmet before, but I think it looks great. Before seeing these, I would have been fine with only having an orange helmet and I still kind of wish that was true. That being said, the white helmet looks great too. I'm usually not crazy about matte white, but it looks really good. The helmet stripe and logo are chrome which I think is kind of unnecessary. At some angles the I on the helmet looked blue, but hopefully it was because of all the weird lighting/smoke in the theatre. Don't remember if they talked about the blue helmet or not, but I think it's also matte with chrome stripes and decals. It looks fine, but I really don't think they need a blue helmet.

Jerseys

I think the number font looks fine on a football jersey. Not the best, but it's not bad at all. I like the sleeve striping. I would prefer if it was higher up on the sleeve, but that's hard to do nowadays. It's a classy look. This is where the striping inconsistencies start, though. There should be a white stripe between the orange ones on the blue jersey. The blue jersey should also have an orange outline on the numbers. I like the contrasting collar and the shield logo looks good there. I really like the change to orange numbers on the white jerseys though.

Pants

The cutoff stripe on the pants is still as dumb as it was when it first started. Besides that, I like that it's pretty classy striping throughout the uniform. Like the blue jersey, the orange pants should have a white middle stripe. I'd really like to know why they chose to do that.

Basketball

Like the current set, the white one is my favorite of the bunch. I actually liked the split wordmark on the now old white jerseys, so I'm happy it's sticking around (and becoming the primary wordmark.) The old numbers were orange, so I'm not sure why they switched to blue, especially since football went to orange numbers. I think orange looks a lot better, especially when the bottom half of the wordmark is orange. I absolutely love the striping on the sides that's "not related to the chief." Probably my favorite part of the entire rebrand. I hope that sticks around next time they get new uniforms. I prefer a white wordmark on the orange and blue jerseys, but the colored ones aren't bad. That gray uniform though is awful. They didn't show it at the unveiling, but seeing it in person won't help that out any.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Following up on your analysis, I think the new secondary logo could really work on a soccer uniform if they treated it like a traditional soccer crest and placed it that way. It would be a classy look IMO. However the way the slapped it right in the center of the jersey doesn't work well at all and I would agree with your opinion on that one.

The number font is a little weak and goofy. It's not the most sleek, aggressive font possible, and it contrasts too much with the block I, IMO. A traditional block font (not the super-angular font they've used the past decade or so) would have worked just fine with this set.

The rest of the uniform is really nice.

The new rebrand is just ok. I really wish they had implemented the state of Illinois in there somewhere. I really like this football helmet minus the stars.

1385427314000-USP-NCAA-Football-Illinois

That decal needs to be 30% bigger. That's a small decal on a big helmet.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Man. Look no further than some of the descriptions put out by Nike to see the overall lack of depth that went into this stuff.

The primary “I” logo is at the center of the badge, encased by two facing Fs that symbolize the fight that Illini encounter when they take the field of play. The Victory Badge is grounded by vertical stripes that reference the columns at Memorial Stadium, paying tribute to the original Fighting Illini who gave their lives for their country. The mark ends in a powerful V shape, which stands for victory.

Two Fs encasing the I? C'mon. That reeks of "meaning" added after the fact. And whether it was intentional or not, it's stupid? What does a second backwards F represent? Fighting Illini gnithgiF? The stripes representing columns and the shape being a V for victory may have been considered throughout, but they feel shallow.

Custom athletic numerals have been designed to complement the word-marks, as well as unite athletics across multiple sports. The letterforms are bold and energetic, infused with speed. The serifs are sleek and powerful, drawing inspiration from the fast cuts and aggressive playing style of Red Grange.

The numbers are "infused with speed." WTF. That doesn't mean anything. That'd be a lame and expected thing to say about italic numbers. These aren't. And serifs. There aren't any serifs...

Sounds like they copy and pasted from some other school's release. Ugh.

http://www.fightingillini.com/identity/html/orange/

Logos

Primary: I like that they kept the block I as the primary. I don't think they could have come up with anything new that didn't look too forced. There's only some really slight modifications too it and I'm fine with that.

Secondary: I think the shield looks alright at the neck of the football jerseys and waistband of the basketball shorts. I don't like it by itself on a t-shirt or the soccer uniforms though. Hopefully they keep it small like it is now and don't make a helmet or anything with it on there later.

Wordmark: Don't really like it. It's the one thing from the rebrand that I think will look dated in a few years. You don't need an italicized wordmark and the fact that the Is look like 1s when there are so many Is in the wordmark is bad.

Helmets

Love them even if I don't think the block I is a great helmet logo. The orange helmet looks amazing in person. They called it an "anodized" finish. Never heard that for a football helmet before, but I think it looks great. Before seeing these, I would have been fine with only having an orange helmet and I still kind of wish that was true. That being said, the white helmet looks great too. I'm usually not crazy about matte white, but it looks really good. The helmet stripe and logo are chrome which I think is kind of unnecessary. At some angles the I on the helmet looked blue, but hopefully it was because of all the weird lighting/smoke in the theatre. Don't remember if they talked about the blue helmet or not, but I think it's also matte with chrome stripes and decals. It looks fine, but I really don't think they need a blue helmet.

Texas A&M describes their regular helmet as "anodized maroon", and I think the Minnesota Vikings have an anodized finish.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived