What If...The Bills Came To Toronto Full Time?

Bruins4Life

After seeing the post by Jezus_Ghoti,(http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=56636&st=0) it got me thinking! Would the NFL seriously consider moving a team to Canada? I mean I love the CFL and I'm a die-hard Stampeders fan, but would the NFL risk a move? I think back to when the CFL tried to make there mark in the States and that really didn't fair too well! (with the exception of one Championship) I don't really know what to think, if it ever did happen, would it spell the end of the CFL in the process? Anyway, going way off subject there... I will get back to the whole concept idea of this post!

I think that if the Bills were to make the move to Toronto, they should do there best, being in a totally different market and wanting to make a mark there, to reach out to the locals, to the surroundings and make the public feel like the team is proud to be there! The ONLY way I think that this would work is to come up with a whole new identity, leaving all remnants of what was, behind and taking on a new persona!

So while thinking of Toronto, and the surrounding area, I tried to pick out something that would give Torontonians a bit of a skip in their step, a sparkle in their eyes, etc. when they thought of this new team and it representing them as a city in a really large scale league! I wanted something that Toronto is known for, and not just using a Canadian thing, ei. Maple Leafs, but something that spoke more of the city and not just the country or province! And as I looked through all kinds of pictures of the city and all the culture and stuff it had to offer, one image I repeatedly saw but originally gave no thought to was THE CITY ITSELF! It's the largest city in Canada and the skyline is one of the most famous images of any city we have up here! And that's where my search ended! It came to me, the name, the logo, the wordmark, almost all at once! I love it because of it's singularity, one of only a hand full of teams that can say they have a non-plural name! And as sort of a homage to where the team came from you have the colours...which incidentally are also the colours of the official Toronto Flag!

So without any further hesitation...I give to you...the Buffalo Bills of the future, a future energized by the city they play in, by the fans that live there...I now share with you the future of football in Toronto....the newest NFL team...the Toronto Skyline!

torontoskylineconceptpafo7.jpg

torontoskylinewallpapergu4.jpg

torontoskylinewallpaperoi7.jpg

- If I'm not mistaken, I think the NFL has a rule that team names must be some sort of plural form (such as all the teams in the NFL)

- Those numbers will simply not work, unless you're outfitting only 9 players. Imagine fitting a 2-digit number on those jerseys.

- The uniforms have really nothing to them, just a color by number job with the shoulder colored. Basically, you've taken the worst part of the Bills current uniforms and rolled with it...try some tripes rather than the shoulder/yoke deal.

- Similarly, the logo's pretty plain. Is the oval logo going to be on the helmets, or will it say "Skyline", similar to the Giants?

- I'd try different pant colors. The blue's not bad, but unless you're going with solid white socks, the unitard look's pretty much inevitable.

A well thought out concept. You seem to have spent some time on it, thought it out, and presented the big components of the concept well. Here's what I like/don't like:

I like the logo, but it might be too busy for the NFL. Maybe just focus on the Tower?

I like that you didn't feel the need to plaster a Maple Leaf on everything. Nothing against the Maple Leaf. I just don't think it is a prerequisite for a Canadian team.

The wordmark is good. I also like that you threw in a couple wallpapers... nice touch. But you need to go back and rethink that Uni. There's so much cool stuff that can be done with a clean slate, and I would explore that aspect of a new identity a little.

I also don't know if the word "Skyline" is going to give you the Big-Time football feel it sounds like you are looking for.

Finally (and this is just me): don't we have enough NFL teams with a Red/Blue color scheme?

Anyway, good effort.

applogosig17.pngapplogosig16bychapeeko.png

Courtesy chapeeko

Toronto Bisons

Bisons has absolutely nothing to do with Toronto, and everything to do with something that...if a move was made...hangs onto what was! Trust me, when and if something like this ever happens...that team is going to have to endear itself to that new City or it will never work! Bisons just won't cut it!

from reading your initial post, i was quite interested that you seemed to genuinely start of researching your concept with such good intentions.

it got painful once it became apparent you were heading down the skyline cliche path. come on, there must be more to toronto than the fact

they have a tall building there. in my opinion that says nothing for the 'essence' of the place.

from reading your initial post, i was quite interested that you seemed to genuinely start of researching your concept with such good intentions.

it got painful once it became apparent you were heading down the skyline cliche path. come on, there must be more to toronto than the fact

they have a tall building there. in my opinion that says nothing for the 'essence' of the place.

There's smog, and traffic . . . traffic that contributes to smog.

The Toronto Traffic - it has a nice ring to it.

Speaking of trafficking rings, I'm thinking that a Pearson baggage handler would make a good mascot. :D

I have to agree. Additionally, IMO the name Skyline would suit a basketball team better than football.

Bruins4Life, you mention your objections to the name Bisons. I agree that a new identity should break the ties to the old city. In looking at your concept, the colors and uniform design used is too close to the Bills. Also, lions aren't native to Detroit and bengal tigers are not native to Cincinnati. The argument that Toronto doesn't have Buffalo is weak, even though there are better choices.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Alrighty then...so where to start!

So there seems to be the issue of the colours first off! It was mere coincidence that the colours in the Toronto Flag were similar to those of the Bills, who would be the relocated team. And since the Bills now use a darker or navy blue...I don't see the problem with mine.

As for not liking "BISONS" cause there isn't any in Toronto...that wasn't the exact reasoning behind my argument. Buffalo and Bisons are too similar for a team wanting a complete makeover. It wasn't sooo much that there are no Bison in Toronto as it was hanging onto the old team moniker in a round about way!

The NFL rule that a team name must be plural? Well there's also the fact that the NFL is strictly American, so if they are willing to overlook the whole crossing the border thing, I'm sure they'll let go of the measly little plural thing just to have the chance at gaining ground in a new market!

And all the other cosmetic things hopefully I've addressed with the following update...Logo too plain, numbers, colour by numbers looking jersey, helmets, etc! Just a note on the helmets to...either I think could be worn with either of the jerseys, so that's why I didn't stick a Home and Away tag on them, simply just 1 & 2.

torontoskylineconceptpasj3.jpg

So there seems to be the issue of the colours first off! It was mere coincidence that the colours in the Toronto Flag were similar to those of the Bills, who would be the relocated team. And since the Bills now use a darker or navy blue...I don't see the problem with mine.

As for not liking "BISONS" cause there isn't any in Toronto...that wasn't the exact reasoning behind my argument. Buffalo and Bisons are too similar for a team wanting a complete makeover. It wasn't sooo much that there are no Bison in Toronto as it was hanging onto the old team moniker in a round about way!

The NFL rule that a team name must be plural? Well there's also the fact that the NFL is strictly American, so if they are willing to overlook the whole crossing the border thing, I'm sure they'll let go of the measly little plural thing just to have the chance at gaining ground in a new market!

And all the other cosmetic things hopefully I've addressed with the following update...Logo too plain, numbers, colour by numbers looking jersey, helmets, etc! Just a note on the helmets to...either I think could be worn with either of the jerseys, so that's why I didn't stick a Home and Away tag on them, simply just 1 & 2.

Did Toronto move to WWII-era Japan and no one told me? Interesting...

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

:cursing:
Toronto Bisons

How aboat Buffalo Argonauts, eh? FYI The original Buffalo team in the All-America Football Conference was called the Bisons for 1946. They became the Bills in 1947.

Even more fuel for the fire! Definitely shouldn't be called the Bisons! To much of a link to the past for a new team! So maybe another logo change, but is there anything else?

Did Toronto move to WWII-era Japan and no one told me? Interesting...

Well someone said it was too plain, and I wanted to jazz it up a bit so I did the whole sunrise thing not thinking of the whole Japanese thing...so what would you suggest, the new jersey's with the old cleaner logo or wha? It's called feedback...not sacasticback by the way!!

I like the new logo. I hate the uniforms, no offense. I think it looks too much like a clown suit. Vertical sock stripes? Been done way back, and nobody wants to see them come back. Not crazy about the jersey striping, and I think the helmet decal should just say Skyline, not Toronto as well.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

I agree with some of the other comments about the name Skyline not representing an NFL team well. Just not tough enough. Also, I really agree with the fact that the NFL doesn't need another red and blue team. Also, on the second uni set you provided, the numbers are way too low. Those numbers would make offensive linemen look even fatter. I would go back to the drawing board and use possibly a red & white color scheme, because let's face it, even though not every Canadian team has to have red, white and maple leaves, when it's the only Canadian team in a league, it is a smart marketing strategy to be Canada's Team.

First off, the NFL actually DOES have a rule regarding helmets: Teams can only have one helmet design, including any sort of logos, striping and shell color. If I had to choose one of your designs, I'd choose the blue one with the wordmark on it.

Secondly, the wordmark and numerals are entirely too low. Who wants to wear their numbers on their belly?!

Speaking of the unis themselves, lose the vertical stripes on the socks, and pick a primary(as in MAIN) color. It appears as though you're trying to have an equal balance of red and blue, and makes for poor aesthetic appeal, in my book. Make one color dominant, and the other complimentary.

Third, I'd try the Canadian, Ontarian or Torontan flag behind the logo, instead of the rising sun. It just screams 'JAPAN', in my opinion.

Next, I'd keep that wordmark. I think it's sharp! Well done!

Lastly, the blue shoes aren't working for me. I'd use white for aesthetic appeal, but I'd go with black if you want to 'harden up the look', so to speak.

Other than those, you've got yourself a winner.

Sigs are for sissies.

Archived