MLS Rebrand: Salt Lake

heernumurr

MLS Rebrands by williamrhys

New York City

Arsenal Colorado

I had much fun with the previous two concepts in this series, so I thought I'd try another team. So I give you Salt Lake City FC! Yeah, I know it's a boring name and I've already done a "City" team, but I like the sound of it and was at a loss to come up with anything better. I'll let the fans come up with the nickname...

I've already used some Rocky Mountain imagery on Arsenal Colorado, so I thought I'd go for something a bit different with this concept. The Utah state flag has a beehive which i was trying to incorporate but it just wasnt working, so i moved onto another symbol from the flag, the sego lily. Went with this because it's pretty unique as far as the MLS goes, and reminded me of the old Leeds United badge.

saltlakelogo.png

For the kits, I decided to go with the red and yellow of the sego lily, and brightened up the "Royal" colours they have at the minute. I do like the blue on Real Salt Lake's shirts, so i decided to use it for the away kit. Oh yeah, the flowers... :D Well I was inspired by the Stade Francais rugby shirts. Some might like it, some will hate it, but you'll have to agree that it would set Salt Lake apart from the rest of the MLS...

::UPDATE:: Got rid of the lilies on the away shirt, think it looks cleaner now, and puts more emphasis on the home kit.

saltlakekitsheet-1.png

Well, that's another one in the books. Look forward to getting some C&C on this, hopefully it'll be a talking point at the very least!

Every one on here knows that I am the most outspoken Utahn on the board....and you have my aproval! Jk haha. I really do like this. The sego lily really does work for this concept. I wouldnt have all the flowers on the kit, mind you, but the initial concept and design of both the crest and the kit are awesome and look well thought out. Great work man!!

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

Lillies on a jersey? And for Salt Lake? Not feeling it. If you were to do something, I'd do the mountains or even use the Salt Lake Temple which is iconic to Salt Lake. If you want to stay away from religion then maybe an image of a rocket type car from the Bonneville Salt Flats. Even though the lily is Utah's state flower, it just doesn't work for me on this concept. I'm not sure why, but it seems like a round peg into a square hole syndrome here. I like the thinking outside the box, but it's not working for me.

I have to say good job on this concept. I really like the rest of the series also. On the subject of the watermark, I think that it works on the home but on the away I think that the clashing colours make it look out of place. Also I would not used hooped socks on the away because, again I think that the hoops look a little out of place. Overall very nice work though.

AtlantaThrashers.pngManchesterUnited_10Sig.png

Thanks for all the comments so far, I'm really pleased with the positive reaction! Took the advice about the away shirt, got rid of the lilies and i think it looks better. Also having just the one shirt with the lilies makes the design stand out even more.

Also, looks like the other two concepts got dragged back again, which is cool for me to see. So any ideas for the next concept? I plan to do a concept for all the MLS teams, I won't be drastically changing everyone, but are there any others that stand out as needing a complete rebrand?

i really like all 3 of your concepts so far, with NYCFC being my favorite. this design is a close second though, i think all elements make for a great identity that would work well on the field. i'm looking forward to seeing the rest. if you are making the MLS more "traditional football" i think the next two that NEED an overhaul are Columbus and San Jose, and we can probably all agree there.

Salt Lake City FC would likely face opposition as the team's brand, particularly given the power struggle that surrounded financing of the team's new soccer-specific stadium in suburban Sandy. The State of Utah and Sandy City committed public financing to the project... not Salt Lake City. While Salt Lake City Mayor Rocky Anderson backed the Utah legislative bill that provided public funding sources for the project, Salt Lake City isn't specifically on the hook for the cost of building the facility that will keep the franchise in Utah. It may seem insignificant, but it would be argued that Salt Lake FC referenced a physical landmark in the State of Utah, while Salt Lake City FC would seemingly imply that a specific municipality was responsible for directly supporting the franchise.

Archived