International Nites

Conrad.

So I was looking at the Latin Nights jerseys for the NBA and I got to thinking that the wordmarks needed to be in full Spanish language...and that idea snowballed into making jerseys for cities with large populations of certain ethnicities tying to certain countries. I broke it down into 6 games that would be played in these certain cities with the host teams also having a following for that ethnicity. Without further ado, Game One, Arabic Nite in Detroit:

INgame1.jpg

So, good idea? also, any feedback on the actual jerseys / event logo is welcome...i'll be posting the other 5 games as i receive feedback on each...thanks for looking.

*dangit...just noticed i spelled 'International' wrong in the description lol

So I was looking at the Latin Nights jerseys for the NBA and I got to thinking that the wordmarks needed to be in full Spanish language...and that idea snowballed into making jerseys for cities with large populations of certain ethnicities tying to certain countries. I broke it down into 6 games that would be played in these certain cities with the host teams also having a following for that ethnicity. Without further ado, Game One, Arabic Nite in Detroit:

INgame1.jpg

So, good idea? also, any feedback on the actual jerseys / event logo is welcome...i'll be posting the other 5 games as i receive feedback on each...thanks for looking.

*dangit...just noticed i spelled 'International' wrong in the description lol

Good idea, yes.

celticssig5.jpg

Purdy please, vote for me: http://nha.sportslogos.net/name_change/ Thanks in advance.

I thought of doing a MLB project like this, but eventually you're gonna run into cities like Denver and Salt Lake City (Utah) that don't really have an ethnicity you free-associate it with. As well as what to do with the Knicks since New York has everything.

I thought of doing a MLB project like this, but eventually you're gonna run into cities like Denver and Salt Lake City (Utah) that don't really have an ethnicity you free-associate it with. As well as what to do with the Knicks since New York has everything.

You could write both of those in the Deseret Alphabet, but about six people would be able to read it. ^_^

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I like this idea, I want to see more. I have two comments though. First, is it not "Arabian Nites" at the Palace of Auburn Hills? "Arabic Nites" makes it sound like you are paying homage to a language not a culture (I'm not sure, thats why I'm asking). Secondly, if this is at the Palace of Auburn Hills, wouldn't the Pistons be wearing their home jerseys and the Nets wearing their away ones?

Not big issues, you have a great idea here.

I'd love to see "French Nite" in New Orleans (vs. Toronto). Also, "Cuban Nite" in Miami.

You should also do Chinese night in Millwaukee, just for Yi when he goes back to play the Bucks.

Thanks to all for the interest in my idea :)

I like this idea, I want to see more. I have two comments though. First, is it not "Arabian Nites" at the Palace of Auburn Hills? "Arabic Nites" makes it sound like you are paying homage to a language not a culture (I'm not sure, thats why I'm asking). Secondly, if this is at the Palace of Auburn Hills, wouldn't the Pistons be wearing their home jerseys and the Nets wearing their away ones?

good point about the 'Arabian Nites'...and as for the jerseys, I colored them the easiest way to represent the Arab Nations flag.

illwauk, yeah i thought of that too, thats why I'm limiting it to 12 cities and 6 games.

here is Game 2, Asian Nite at The Oracle in The Bay:

INgame2.jpg

ps: i had forgotten about Toronto...someone who speaks French: would it be Les Rapaces or Les Rapas?

good point about the 'Arabian Nites'...and as for the jerseys, I colored them the easiest way to represent the Arab Nations flag.

illwauk, yeah i thought of that too, thats why I'm limiting it to 12 cities and 6 games.

here is Game 2, Asian Nite at The Oracle in The Bay:

INgame2.jpg

ps: i had forgotten about Toronto...someone who speaks French: would it be Les Rapaces or Les Rapas?

These look great, although the yellow on the Rockets jersey seems a bit too pro-PRC.

Also, I know its semantics, but I don't think Asian Nite is the right name for the game if you are only using Chinese characters (I'm assuming that's what they are). Unless you wanted to have jerseys with several different languages (ie one in Japanese, one in Chinese, one in Korean, etc.), then it may be best to call it China Nite or Chinese Nite. Or maybe it would be best to keep the scirpt in English and have flags on the sleeves the way they did with the Latino night.

For TO I would NOT use French...Greece would be a good call or India vs Pakistan. OR... Just pull a nation from a hat since Toronto is like NYC is regards to how many ethnic groups call it home.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Wow... these are beautiful man. And I'm not just saying that because they prove my theory that the Warriors have a great look that gets ruined by a gaudy wordmark :D

It got me to thinking what other ethnicities could be used for games:

Cuban (Knicks vs. Heat)

German (Bucks vs. Mavs)

Irish (Celtics vs. Bulls)

Mexican (Spurs vs. Lakers)

Italy (Sixers vs. Raptors)

I really like the idea and would love to see it in real life. Most of the things people have been saying are spot on, though, just minor problems that feedback fixes. I can't help thinking (for commenters) that if the NBA had a "Cuban Night" that Mark Cuban would squeeze his team in there somewhere. Just a thought.

i guess i'll continue this...here's Game 4, Latin Nite in Miami:

posted image

thoughts on games 3 and 4?

I have to say, this is probably the best thread I've ever read on this forum. You are an incredible designer, and I love the idea of International Nites.

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

Archived