2010 NHL Offseason chatter

HedleyLamarr

The Thrashers have made some front office moves today. Don Waddell somehow gets a promotion, now becoming the Team President. Assistant GM Rick Dudley gets promoted to GM (a move long suspected once he got hired). And John Anderson and the rest of the coaching staff won't be back for next season.

Thrashers press statement

Good moves. Waddell's a decent enough guy, but 10 seasons without a single playoff victory is just unacceptable. The coaching staff was decent, considering the handcuffs the organization was under, but generally a new GM wants to bring in his own guy as a coach.

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Thrashers have made some front office moves today. Don Waddell somehow gets a promotion, now becoming the Team President. Assistant GM Rick Dudley gets promoted to GM (a move long suspected once he got hired). And John Anderson and the rest of the coaching staff won't be back for next season.

Thrashers press statement

Good moves. Waddell's a decent enough guy, but 10 seasons without a single playoff victory is just unacceptable. The coaching staff was decent, considering the handcuffs the organization was under, but generally a new GM wants to bring in his own guy as a coach.

I've long advocated for Waddell's canning. Promotion? For what? For stinking? I mean, the Kovalchuk deal was pretty good but it was his failure as a GM that forced the trade in the first place. Ilya didnt want to leave but he wants a chance to win. That one is on Waddell.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Keith Tkachuk officially retired today, though he announced it a couple of weeks ago.

And the Blues have removed the interim tag from Head Coach Davis Payne, so he will remain in that capacity.

Additionally, GM Larry Pleau is retiring (although he may stay with the organization a few years yet--this switch has been planned a while), and Assistant GM Doug Armstrong will take over in that role.

Jarome Iginla has stated he wants to stay in Calgary but if Management came to him and asked him to waive is No Trade Clause he would consider it.

I for one don't want this to happen and I don't think in the craziest of worlds this will happen.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Jarome Iginla has stated he wants to stay in Calgary but if Management came to him and asked him to waive is No Trade Clause he would consider it.

I for one don't want this to happen and I don't think in the craziest of worlds this will happen.

I think they'd be crazy to trade Iginla and retain Sutter as GM. Sutter has clearly shown he can't get it done and he's done a horrible job of managing the cap and selection coaches. Maybe if they bring in someone who can make a decent trade they could consider shipping out Iginla, but Sutter hasn't exactly done a great job of getting good value for trades.

Vokoun in Florida has said the same thing about being willing to waive his no-trade according to THN. Marty St. Louis is sounding like he might want out of Tampa as well.

I think they'd be crazy to trade Iginla and retain Sutter as GM. Sutter has clearly shown he can't get it done and he's done a horrible job of managing the cap and selection coaches. Maybe if they bring in someone who can make a decent trade they could consider shipping out Iginla, but Sutter hasn't exactly done a great job of getting good value for trades.

Vokoun in Florida has said the same thing about being willing to waive his no-trade according to THN. Marty St. Louis is sounding like he might want out of Tampa as well.

The only time I'd see Jarome leaving is in the final year of his contract which is at the end of the 2012-13 Season by then he'll be 35 or 36 and I don't know what kind of market Jarome can bring in? I don't think it will be quite as sweet as the Kovalchuk to New Jersey deal which could end up like a steal if Kovi can't help lead the Devils to the promised land and bails on July 1st.

Oh and here in Calgary we're already trying to compile a list of possible GM's.

How realistic are people thinking it is that you'd get my boy Stevie?

I've thought about this and I think it was just brought up for fodder, Stevie needs more experience before he becomes a full-time NHL GM. When he picked team Canada, He didn't have to worry about salary cap and the draft, He had to pick between a great group of players who can bring Canada a gold medal.

Someone on big time Flames blog compiled a small list of possible GM's.

Ron Hextall: LA Kings Assistant GM

Paul Fenton: Predators Assistant GM

David McNab: Ducks Senior VP or Player Operations

How realistic are people thinking it is that you'd get my boy Stevie?

I've thought about this and I think it was just brought up for fodder, Stevie needs more experience before he becomes a full-time NHL GM. When he picked team Canada, He didn't have to worry about salary cap and the draft, He had to pick between a great group of players who can bring Canada a gold medal.

Someone on big time Flames blog compiled a small list of possible GM's.

Ron Hextall: LA Kings Assistant GM

Paul Fenton: Predators Assistant GM

David McNab: Ducks Senior VP or Player Operations

Cool, thanks. I'm not in any hurry for Yzerman to leave the Red Wings organization, but I think he'd be good. You're right though: not enough experience yet.

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

Yzerman has little kids still in grade school, he's apparently stated that, like Jim Nill, he's in no hurry to leave the Red Wings.

Nill knows that he's the heir apparent in Detroit, and Yzerman knows the job is his after Nill's done with it. Detroit's good like this.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Yzerman has little kids still in grade school, he's apparently stated that, like Jim Nill, he's in no hurry to leave the Red Wings.

Nill knows that he's the heir apparent in Detroit, and Yzerman knows the job is his after Nill's done with it. Detroit's good like this.

Detroit's good in a lot of ways. ;)

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

NHL Awards Finalists:

Byng:

Richards (Dallas); Datsyuk (Detroit); and St. Louis (Tampa Bay)

Calder:

Myers (Buffalo); Duchene (Colorado); and Howard (Detroit)

Selke:

Datsyuk (Detroit); Staal (Pittsburgh); and Kesler (Vancouver)

Vezina:

Miller (Buffalo); Brodeur (New Jersey); and Bryzgalov (Phoenix)

NHL Awards Finalists:

Byng:

Richards (Dallas); Datsyuk (Detroit); and St. Louis (Tampa Bay)

Calder:

Myers (Buffalo); Duchene (Colorado); and Howard (Detroit)

Selke:

Datsyuk (Detroit); Staal (Pittsburgh); and Kesler (Vancouver)

Vezina:

Miller (Buffalo); Brodeur (New Jersey); and Bryzgalov (Phoenix)

Norris:

Keith (Chicago); Doughty (Los Angeles); and Green (Washington)

Archived