2010 NHL Offseason chatter

HedleyLamarr

Well, a quick trip to the Moose website gives you this easy-to-find piece of information.

Scott Arniel enters his fourth season as Head Coach of the Manitoba Moose after guiding the team to their most successful season in franchise history. In 2008-09, the Moose set a number of franchise records including most wins in the regular season (50) and most road wins (25), while tying the franchise mark for most home wins in a single season (25). The Moose finished first overall in the American Hockey League for the first time ever with a record of 50-23-1-6 for 107 points. Arniel himself was subsequently named the winner of the Louis A.R. Pieri Memorial Award as the league's outstanding coach for 2008-09. The Moose continued their success in the Calder Cup Playoffs by capturing the North Division title with series victories over Toronto and Grand Rapids, as well as their first-ever Western Conference crown and a berth in the Calder Cup Finals after a series win over the Houston Aeros.

In three seasons under Arniel, the Moose have won over 45 games each season and compiled a record of 141-72-8-18 in 240 games and earned two North Division regular season titles (2006-07 & 2008-09). In each of the past two seasons the Moose have used over 50 different players in their line-up, including 51 in 2008-09 ? the second most of any team in the AHL ? as well as 14 players who have seen action in the National Hockey League at some point in their career. His Moose had a league-low 188 goals against last season and ranked first in the AHL in defense, averaging 2.04 goals against per game and were fourth in penalty killing with an 85.6 percent efficiency. In 2006-07 Arniel's squad finished first overall on the penalty kill, stifling their opponents' chances 89.7 percent of the time. Last season, Arniel coached the Moose to record tying winning streaks at home (nine games) and on the road (eight games), along with tying the franchise records for most consecutive games gaining a point on the road (14 games).

Arniel has an extensive history with the Moose as both a player and coach prior to re-joining the team in 2006. He joined the Moose in their inaugural season in 1996-97 in the International Hockey League and spent three seasons with the franchise as a player (1996-99), including the final two as team captain. Upon his retirement in 1999, Arniel remained with the Moose as an assistant coach from 1999-2002. During that span, the Moose compiled an overall record of 78-64-7-13. In 2002, Arniel joined the Buffalo Sabres as an assistant coach where he spent four seasons.

Arniel's National Hockey League days are also closely tied to the city of Winnipeg, as the former Cornwall Royal, two-time Memorial Cup Champion and member of the first Canadian Gold Medal World Junior Team was drafted in the second round 22nd overal, in the 1981 NHL Entry Draft by the Winnipeg Jets. He played in 406 games with the Jets from 1981 to 1986 and 1990-91. Arniel played in 730 NHL games, along with 555 in the IHL and AHL, combining for a total of 1285 professional games played in his hockey career.

Scott, his wife Lia, and their children Brendan and Stephanie are proud to call Winnipeg Home.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Important off-season dates for the Caps, including the NHL schedule release:

June 14 Capitals Convention tickets on sale to season-ticket holders.

June 16 Capitals Convention tickets on sale to the general public.

June 22 2010-11 NHL schedule released.

July 12 Development camp begins.

July 17 Fan Fest at KCI, development camp scrimmage.

Sept. 11 Rookie camp begins.

Sept. 18 Training camp begins.

Oct. 2 Capitals Convention at the Washington Convention Center.

Details about the dates.

BOUCHER ACCEPTS JOB AS HEAD COACH OF LIGHTNING

Well that's a great sign for the shape of the Jackets franchise.

EDIT: This comment's rating on the TSN website made me laugh:

loltsn.png

I think either the Blue Jackets were always a negotiating chip for Boucher with the Tampa Bay job or they were willing to offer him more or the Blue Jackets stupid stupid stupid ownership did something stupid. I was pissed/embarrassed at first, but after watching the Arniel press conference I'm beginning to really like this guy. I like his beliefs on puck control (I've always hated the dump and chase) and I like his track record with young players and players with attitude problems. I think he's a good fit.

Still though, I hope Tampa comes to Columbus this season.

Also, Scott Howson was on NHL Live Today and he said that Nikita Filatov will be coming to Columbus for next season. That's good news.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Good

To hell with him :P

But seriously, a great player, Cup Champion, Norris trophy winner, a bitch to play against in his prime. See ya later, Rob.

Who do the Sharks put as captain now? Reinstate Marleau? Give it to one of the assistants? Thornton? Boyle? Pavelski?

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

BOUCHER ACCEPTS JOB AS HEAD COACH OF LIGHTNING

Well that's a great sign for the shape of the Jackets franchise.

EDIT: This comment's rating on the TSN website made me laugh:

loltsn.png

I think either the Blue Jackets were always a negotiating chip for Boucher with the Tampa Bay job or they were willing to offer him more or the Blue Jackets stupid stupid stupid ownership did something stupid. I was pissed/embarrassed at first, but after watching the Arniel press conference I'm beginning to really like this guy. I like his beliefs on puck control (I've always hated the dump and chase) and I like his track record with young players and players with attitude problems. I think he's a good fit.

Still though, I hope Tampa comes to Columbus this season.

Also, Scott Howson was on NHL Live Today and he said that Nikita Filatov will be coming to Columbus for next season. That's good news.

Tampa Bay is arguably one of the most talented teams in the league ans with one of the most respected guy in the sport Steve Yzerman in charge, do you really blame Boucher for shunning the Jackets?

when will we know if there will be an outdoor game in calgary this year (when it is offical that it will happen) i know they want to have it, but the cometition committee has to approve it first.

thanks

so long and thanks for all the fish.

when will we know if there will be an outdoor game in calgary this year (when it is offical that it will happen) i know they want to have it, but the cometition committee has to approve it first.

thanks

Late June when the competition committee get together in discuss matters.

Also not like anyone cares but I do ^_^ Darryl Sutter has been quick to address offseason issues for the Flames.

- Vesa Toskala will not be back as the back up to Miikka Kiprusoff. Flames will address the back up situation through Free Agency and not the organization.

- Waiting for Chris Higgins to heal up before opening contract negotiations.

- Eric Nystrom probably won't be back. Islander fans get ready to jump to the front of the line.

-Says hockey is a young man’s business—looking for someone (asst. GM) with experience but still young.

-Experience of not making playoffs was good for coaching staff

-Flames have 50 players under contract, 15 on reserve list (whatever that means)

-Having 4 picks in the top 100 is ‘good?’ Have traded second rounders for roster players in the past, have to rely on later picks turning out.

-Says he thinks he will qualify all RFAs

-Can’t have 4 high paid D-men, overloaded on D. Most important part is Gio. Doesn’t want to have him, White, and Pardy all UFAs next summer

-Doesn’t want to give any more picks up

-Hasn’t talked to Conroy yet

-Back-up won’t be Leland Irving—still 2-3 years away. Probably won’t be someone from within the org., will depend on who else is brought in

-Deep draft, good NA players (surprise, surprise)

-Euros will probably be high picks, thinks Kabanov is a good player

-Always looking at unsigned or undrafted prospects, mentioned Joel Broda Caps unsigned draft pick.

-Have to trade a good player or give up picks to get into first round, not willing to do that. Might try to get into second round, but doesn’t know if it’s worth it.

-Teams overpay for UFAs, wants to acquire players through trade route if possible

-Not sure how much change has to be made. Concerned about players who underachieved last season, especially when team was losing; “if you can upgrade, you will.”

-Doesn’t know what his budget is yet

Love that he's talking now and now that the season's over BRING ON THE DRAFT.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

There were a couple bumps down the stretch where I thought Keith was losing it, but only because it was in such stark contrast to how phenomenal he was during the majority of the season. He probably should win. It shouldn't be Mike "Fourth Forward" Green, I'll tell you that much right now.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

There were a couple bumps down the stretch where I thought Keith was losing it, but only because it was in such stark contrast to how phenomenal he was during the majority of the season. He probably should win. It shouldn't be Mike "Fourth Forward" Green, I'll tell you that much right now.

I agree. For Mike Green's name to mentioned yet again in the Norris discussion is blasphemous to defensemen who deserve the honor.

I agree. For Mike Green's name to mentioned yet again in the Norris discussion is blasphemous to defensemen who deserve the honor.

Mike Green was much more defensively responsible this year than last year. He honestly worked hard on improving his defensive game. He was pretty good in the playoffs too when he wasnt pressing too hard and trying to do too much at both ends of the rink.

Mike Green isnt a stalwart stay at home defenseman because the coaches know that his skating and his shot are strengths of his, and they let him go. Trust me, if he sat back and played defense, he'd play very well, thats just not his game and its not what the coaches want from him.

Mike Green for Norris. Yes, I am a Mike Green apologist.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Surprise, Surprise. Dion PHANOOF will be named the Toronto Maple Leafs 17th Captain in team history Monday.

The Leafs will also unveil their new jerseys for next year which are like pre-edge but on the the edge template.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

So yeah this guy got drunk and raped his daughter. Graham James now has company in the Hockey Coach division of the seventh circle of Hell.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived