2010 NHL Offseason chatter

HedleyLamarr

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW! That is all I could think of and say when I read the Habs traded Halak. The Blues get a good goaltender, better than what they had, but I don't know if he's going to help them into the playoffs. I'm just surprised that the Canadians would give the job to Price who's been given the job on multiple occassions only to give it right back. Talent-wise, Price might be an NHL goaltender, but does he have the internal make-up to be one? Right now, far from it. Though for as bad as this is, my gut tells me this is the first move. I can now see them signing Nabakov, and San Jose signing Turco. I'll take Nabakov over Halak any day of the week, because Halak still hasn't totally grabbed the #1 for multiple years.

Why is everyone dead set on Jaroslav Halak? Outside of this season and playoffs he's been okay nothing spectacular.

Halak is still young just as Price is. I believe that Goalies don't usually hit their stride till around 29-31, Carey Price now sees that the Habs believe in him to do well and it's his job now and again it's his to lose as well.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I'm gonna go run around my office screaming with joy.

I'm so pumped.

Why? Because the Blues picked up a middle-of-the-pack goaltender who happened to run a hot streak in the playoffs? Doesn't seem like your cup of tea, son.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'm gonna go run around my office screaming with joy.

I'm so pumped.

Why? Because the Blues picked up a middle-of-the-pack goaltender who happened to run a hot streak in the playoffs? Doesn't seem like your cup of tea, son.

Not the same situation, player, or level of ability at all.

But we'll see how things shake out.

Halak's season stats were startlingly similar to those of your sworn enemy Antti Niemi, minus seven playoff wins, of course.

What team was Halak on again? Where'd they finish?

Halak carried his team.

Niemi was carried by his.

I get it. I called Niemi out. You're Hawks fans. Niemi's numbers are pretty good and he won the Cup. You've got the upper hand at the moment (although my argument all along has been that we'll see him come back down next year--and I realize that's a strawman until we see it), but you're fooling yourselves if you're equating the two players.

Halak's NHL career stats aren't overwhelming either. I still think he'll markedly improve the Blues.

My suggestion is that the teams in front of them had a great deal of influence on their stats. In Niemi's case, they were improved because of who he had in front. In Halak's case, they may have been hindered.

The Blues finally learned to beat Detroit (and nobody else) last season, so it could happen, Charger.

Justin, it would really just make more sense for you to say, "Since Halak is now a member of the Blues, I think he's AWESOME! He is clearly the best netminder in the league!" :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Justin, it would really just make more sense for you to say, "Since Halak is now a member of the Blues, I think he's AWESOME! He is clearly the best netminder in the league!" :P

He's not, though.

He was top 5 last year, but is relatively unproven beyond the last two years. I feel it's a safe bet to say he's top 10, but you never know--especially with Blues goaltenders.

But I've been a fan of Halak all year, it's not like I'm just now taking notice of him. I didn't think it would happen, but I was hopeful the Blues could snag which ever goal Montreal chose to send off.

Wow what are the Canadiens thinking? How could they trade Halak after what he did in the playoffs? If Price fails the Habs will be hearing a lot of this in the future.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

It was a ballsy type move but who's to say Halak will have a repeat type season next year.

Carey Price was outstanding in 07/08 and had to handle most of the weight after they traded Huet at the deadline when everyone was up in arms about that.

Price still hasn't bounced back and now the spotlight is on Halak in St Louis it's his job to lose.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

It was a ballsy type move but who's to say Halak will have a repeat type season next year.

Carey Price was outstanding in 07/08 and had to handle most of the weight after they traded Huet at the deadline when everyone was up in arms about that.

Price still hasn't bounced back and now the spotlight is on Halak in St Louis it's his job to lose.

From a follower of Halak for at least a few years, I can tell you that he had many rock solid 45-50 save performances even before this year's miracle playoff run. The only reason this year was a standout year for him is simply because someone gave him the oppurtunity to stand out.

The Canadiens made alot of money this year at the end of 3 playoff rounds. Could it be that the higher-ups in the management wanted a bigger piece of pie for themselves? How many frikken prospects do the Habs need???? Prospects? I've had it up to here with the word prospects. What also bothers me is how quickly the deal was done. Usually a team gets offers from all directions when an elite player is up for grabs, then the offers are considered, and then one final decision is made. Pierre Gauthier and company not only didn't want to give away another big contract to anyone, they also made the most boneheaded decision I've seen from as long as I've been watching hockey. Pierre Gauthier is falling into Bob Gainey's footsteps as the next trainwrecker of the Habs organisation. It puts my username to shame. I'm not going to change it for one incident, I'm just sayin'.

Congratulations St. Louis Blues fans, you just got yourself a priceless deal.

I just read the news...

Yeah, I dont see too many more playoff upsets in your future with Carey Price in net.

No need to rub it in. I now feel just the way you did when the Penguins got beat. That's how bad I feel.

Archived