2010 NHL Offseason chatter

HedleyLamarr

I bet Roberto Luongo is swinging from a streetlight whilst drinking from a bottle of grappa, singing "I Can See Clearly Now." Now the only thing that will prevent him from winning the Stanley Cup is the fact that he isn't very good.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bet Roberto Luongo is swinging from a streetlight whilst drinking from a bottle of grappa, singing "I Can See Clearly Now."

This is true, but oddly, he hasn't even heard about the Byfuglien trade. It's just Wednesday for him.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I know Byfuglien costs $3 million and does nothing that Troy Brouwer doesn't do better at a third of the price in the regular season, but man, I can't stress it enough: I listened to so much postgame radio where it was caller after caller saying "you know, I didn't grow up with hockey, but this is really awesome, what have I been missing" and stuff to that effect, and then you trade your--let's not mince words--token black guy who was fast becoming one of the most popular players on the team for cap space and a fourth-line journeyman center. That looks really really bad.

And they just threw in Akim Aliu too! Atlanta's gonna get every black guy on skates! They're gonna scrounge up the remnants of Fred Brathwaite!

Maybe they can get Kevin Weekes out of the broadcast booth too. I think they'd deserve a medal for that.

Edit:

Byfulgien was great in the playoffs, no question. But his regular season numbers aren't exactly spectacular. Maybe he'll develop more as his career goes on, but we're talking about a guy who hasn't cracked 40 points in the league, and whose game could get massively curtailed by a) Any tightening of rules on goalie interference or B) not playing with Kane and Toews.

Nobody can deny how good he was in the playoffs, but Byfuglien might be better served in his career if his team (now the Thrashers) would move him back to defense. His playoff dominance not withstanding, big guys are replaceable. Big defenseman who are strong on their skates and have a rocket shot are less so. (Suggestion not originally my own.)

Byfuglien's been in the league for five years, believe it or not. Maybe this is just what he is, awesome at being a pylon against Vancouver but prone to slacking through the winter doldrums. He's expendable on the ice, but I think he was in position to make millions for the team and spread hockey goodwill.

Come to think of it, this isn't such a bad trade at all. I had budgeted for Sopel and Eager being gone anyway, this opens up the Physical Pest spot for Kyle Beach who costs $1.8 less, and there's more room to sign Hjalmarsson and Niemi. The defending champions now have five of the first sixty picks in a pretty good draft: 24, 30, 43, 54, and 60. But you're sure not going to sell any Marty Reasoner jerseys, I know that much.

Byfuglien was kind of clueless on defense, actually, which is why even Savard thought it was a good idea to move him off the blue line. When they had to put him back there in lieu of Brian Campbell, it screwed them up pretty badly.

Trading Byfuglien away was definately a bad decision in terms of being a fan favorite, but they shouldn't have to worry too much about fan support coming off a Cup. With him, Sopel, and Eager gone they have cap space free to resign a couple players now. And just last year, it seemed all Byfuglien could do is take up space and turn the puck over. Maybe he'll continue his form from the playoffs through in the future, but it's more likely his performance will be somewhere in between the playoffs and what he did the rest of the year. That's my take on this from an optimistic viewpoint. Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy he was traded, but it's not nearly as bad as the people in Chicago who only watched the playoffs are making it out to be.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I bet Roberto Luongo is swinging from a streetlight whilst drinking from a bottle of grappa, singing "I Can See Clearly Now." Now the only thing that will prevent him from winning the Stanley Cup is the fact that he isn't very good.

His Olympic Gold medal says otherwise, 4 straight wins in do or die situations. But no, he's not the best goalie in the world in my opinion, but it's not like he isn't very good either.

8prlQWA.png

His Olympic Gold medal says otherwise, 4 straight wins in do or die situations. But no, he's not the best goalie in the world in my opinion, but it's not like he isn't very good either.

Well, you can make the argument that Roberto was carried by the rest of the talent on the Olympic team. He is probably over-rated, but you're right that saying he "isn't very good" is silly. The reason Roberto has melted down in the playoffs is that he's played way too much, and the team has catered to his every whim. Which seems to be changing with the team saying that Schneider will play 20 or more games, and hiring a new full time goalie coach (Roliie Melanson) instead of keeping the guy Luongo liked, Ian Clarke, who can only be part time due to family restrictions.

As a Canuck fan I'm relieved to have Byfuglien in the East. The Canucks just don't have anybody that can match the guy physically. BTW Blackhawk fans, what are Jack Skille's chances of making the team next year? I always trade for him in NHL 10 because he has good potential.

this opens up the Physical Pest spot for Kyle Beach

Wait, I thought you liked the Blackhawks?

Elaborate, please? I'm not the only one positing that Beach will be with the big club next year.

the question now begs is this the end of the movement for Mr. Bowman, or does he move Versteeg and or Sharp this weekend? No one wants Huet for that money so hes bound for Rockford, but I like that Morin kid he could be pretty good

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

They don't have to move Sharp anymore, so they won't. Versteeg's probably a goner and that's fine by me with the appropriate return. Not a very good two-way player. Don't need a lesser Kane. Dave Bolland is a lesser Toews. I'll keep that.

this opens up the Physical Pest spot for Kyle Beach

Wait, I thought you liked the Blackhawks?

Elaborate, please? I'm not the only one positing that Beach will be with the big club next year.

I can pretty much guarantee he will be. Now, whether that is a good thing....

He is a talented kid, there is no taking that away from him. But, unless he gets his head on straight, cuts the cocky attitude and realizes what is being given to him, he will either be toothless and beaten or in the minors (or both) before the season ends.

He is a talented kid, there is no taking that away from him. But, unless he gets his head on straight, cuts the cocky attitude and realizes what is being given to him, he will either be toothless and beaten or in the minors (or both) before the season ends.

No sweat. If he's fortunate enough to spend twenty minutes with Jonathan Toews, his life will be better for it. The Blackhawks seem relatively devoid of on-ice headcases. The worst I can say on that front is that Versteeg gets sloppy from time to time and Burish takes dumb fighting majors. Either they've been fortunate or those traits get winnowed out somewhere in development.

No sweat. If he's fortunate enough to spend twenty minutes with Jonathan Toews, his life will be better for it. The Blackhawks seem relatively devoid of on-ice headcases. The worst I can say on that front is that Versteeg gets sloppy from time to time and Burish takes dumb fighting majors. Either they've been fortunate or those traits get winnowed out somewhere in development.

Well it wasn't taken out of his game in Everett, Lethbridge, or Spokane. Hopefully Rockford did him some good. As much as I dislike the kid as a player (which seems to be his motive for some reason), I hate to see talent like that go to waste.

Archived