Complete College Football Redesign (Sun Belt Pt. 2 11/20)

mbannon92

Amazing job on the concepts mbannon. Looking forward to your next set of concepts, in regards with the Sun Belt schools. So far, my faves from you on this topic are Boise State, Northern Illinois, and San Jose State. I also like the Florida State one because of the garnet numbers on the white jerseys and the white numbers on the garnet jerseys. But it would have been better if the 'Unconquered' black jersey had garnet numbers with gold trim, plus the striping colors on their sleeves should be the same as the home and road ones.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love what you did with the MWC great job. I really like UNLV, Hawaii and Wyoming. Personally I think Wyoming has a disgusting color scheme but you did a great job with those stripes with the barbs they look awesome. Only minor gripes I saw were the spears on the SDSU shoulders look a kinda funky the way they are a bit warped on the front. Also Im conflicted about the SJSU number font. It looks just a bit off to me but its not bad

Only minor gripes I saw were the spears on the SDSU shoulders look a kinda funky the way they are a bit warped on the front.

Yeah, that wasn't intentional. The spear they have is really jagged, so there were WAY too many nodes for me to curve it manually. I had to warp it, which made the tips look a little off. Just pretend they look right!

I love the Hawaii uniform. I like the inspiration of the Brennan era uniforms, so I would urge you to consider a silver alternate/away helmet like the Warriors wore during that era.

That's the one thing I didn't like about that set, since silver is the third color in their scheme. And the color changing helmet would look way to cool to not use every game, IMO.

Also, I have to take another bye week this week. This thing finally caught up with me, and I have a few more Sun Belt teams to finish. Feel free to keep commenting though!

Enjoy your bye week mbannon. Can't wait what's in store next your way. By the way, once you complete all the concepts, will you accept tweak/re-modification suggestions from your past & current concepts on this thread/topic? If so or not, let us know.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

Well, here we are everyone--the final conference. Up now is the first half of the Sun Belt.

Links: Appalachian State | Arkansas State | Georgia Southern | Georgia State | Idaho | Louisiana-Lafayette

Appalachian State

- Brought back the helmet and pants stripes from their 1989 throwbacks they wore a few years back. Thought it was needed with their basic logo and numbers.

- Added double outlines to the numbers to match the logo.

- The wordmarks on the jersey and helmet bumper are in Berthold City. They used the typeface in their previous logo set, and I could see it being used across all sports for consistency.

lrB9M8u.png?1

Arkansas State

- Added a pants stripe that reflects the logo.

- Added an alternate "red wolf" helmet, which features the top half of the wolf logo on the front and the white streaks coming from the opening in the helmet across the sides. The stAte logo is on the back. Let me know what you think of this one...it's pretty out of the box!

ZTAu0uV.png?1

Georgia Southern

- They've had the same uniforms for years, so I didn't want to mess with them too much.

- Added a gold stroke to the helmet stripes, numbers, and the new pants stripe I added to match the helmet. The facemask switched from grey to the light blue used in their logos.

- As with Alabama, I changed the jersey and helmet number fonts to match each other. It's the same classic block font as Alabama as well.

sjtOVc9.png?1

Georgia State

- The school has recently de-emphasized the black some, so I limited it to the alternate (that all sports would have).

- Went with the horizontal GSU logo on the helmet, as it has the red underline.

- The sleeves and pants feature a thick white stripe with a smaller red one below/to the side, to match the logo.

lZX26wR.png?1

Idaho

- Brought the "Vandals" script back to the helmet, but with a new white outline.

- Used the school's custom "Idaho" wordmark on the helmet bumpers and jersey.

- Added a thick gold stripe to the shoulders and pants, with no stripe on the gold pants to match the helmet. Just thought it looked good.

rRAm4ol.png?1

Louisiana-Lafayette

- Went with the fleur-de-lis instead of "Ragin' Cajuns" on the helmet. I just think it looks better.

- Added Northwestern stripes to the shoulders and pants to match the helmet. The shoulder stripes draw similarities to their last set of Russell uniforms, which, though templated, looked pretty good IMO.

- The home and road feature the "Louisiana" wordmark (which apparently is pretty important...their initial adidas unis had "Ragin' Cajuns" on the unis and there was an uproar), while the alternate has "Ragin' Cajuns."

qbowTtX.png?1

I don't like Georgia St too much. I think if they used red like the Titans does (not saying they should change the uniforms to look like their's), it would look it lot better. I don't really like the use of red.

We don't use red at all that much in any of our sports uniforms and the basketball team here just got new black uniforms (see ESPNU right now vs Iowa State, not a single piece of red). They like the black as a alternate over red.

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

I like these for the most part. The Ark State helmet gives me anxiety like UCONN. App State I think should have the Aself helmet they wore a few years back. I love that thing. I really like the addition of the gold for Ga Southern, and really love Idaho. And even with what has been said above, I like the red for GA State, design-wise. Their current uniforms are so plain it hurts.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Great job with the Sun Belt concepts. I gotta like the Idaho one (with its custom typeface of a wordmark font). But the ULL one, it nearly looks like Louisville's, but the number font makes it a bit more original to match up.

Good job yet again.

I can't say I'm a fan of the Arkansas St. alternate helmet. It doesn't work for me in part because you remove what makes a wolf recognizable--its snout, teeth, jaws, etc.-- and only leave the ears. I would go leave their wolf logo whole and put it on the helmet. You could even do giant sized logos if you want something that pushes the envelope a bit.

award%20sig.png

I don't like Georgia St too much. I think if they used red like the Titans does (not saying they should change the uniforms to look like their's), it would look it lot better. I don't really like the use of red.

We don't use red at all that much in any of our sports uniforms and the basketball team here just got new black uniforms (see ESPNU right now vs Iowa State, not a single piece of red). They like the black as a alternate over red.

Just because they don't use a lot of red in their uniforms doesn't mean it looks good. The red underline is present in their institutional and athletic logos, and it IS used by some of the teams, like women's basketball. And I found this blog post from the school from a couple months ago announcing that they removed all their blue/black logos, leaving only the blue/white, and that over time these changes would be reflected in the uniforms. So it looks like they're moving away from the blue and black look. I think the black still looks good as an alt, though.

App State I think should have the Aself helmet they wore a few years back. I love that thing.

Eh, that logo is pretty horrid if you ask me. Not something I wanted to feature prominently. Their previous Yosef was much better, IMO.

But the ULL one, it nearly looks like Louisville's, but the number font makes it a bit more original to match up.

Yeah, I realized that as I was making it, and it bugged me at first too. But with 128 teams you're bound to get similar looks, so I'm okay with two teams looking alike as long as they don't play each other regularly. *coughNebraskaWisconsincough*

Good job yet again.

I can't say I'm a fan of the Arkansas St. alternate helmet. It doesn't work for me in part because you remove what makes a wolf recognizable--its snout, teeth, jaws, etc.-- and only leave the ears. I would go leave their wolf logo whole and put it on the helmet. You could even do giant sized logos if you want something that pushes the envelope a bit.

Yeah, I knew it was going to be a stretch. I guess I saw it more as they player's face becomes the wolf's face, with the white streaks coming from the players' eyes. Is that too costumey?

And here we are--teams 124-128. The last five. This has been a really fun series to do for me, as I got to get into the brand a lot of schools that we don't see covered very often. I'll continue to accept comments and suggestions, and I'm definitely willing to go back and tweak things, so keep up the feedback.

Without further adieu, the rest of the Sun Belt.

Links: Louisiana-Monroe | New Mexico State | South Alabama | Texas State | Troy

Louisiana-Monroe

- Tweaked the helmet striping a little bit and added matching pants stripes.

- Used the "ULM" wordmark on both jerseys.

- Added the drop shadow and stroke from the wordmark to the numbers. It didn't look right when they didn't match, and I didn't just want to go with a gold stroke on both. The inner white stroke was added to the road numbers for readability.

jCnZRV9.png?1

New Mexico State

- I did something here I've avoided doing up to this point: I created a new logo. I don't like the cowboy/wordmark logo NM State currently has on their helmet, but I didn't want to use the academic NM-over-State logo. So I recreated the NM-over-State logo using the athletic department's proprietary font. I added a black background and thick white stroke to match the other logos. I was committed to only using schools' current brand elements, but since I basically combined current elements to make this logo I don't think it's too egregious :upside:

- NM State is now on the chest, as with the basketball team, but in the athletic font. The numbers switch over to the athletic font as well. Both are beveled to match the logos (grey bevel on white text, black bevel on maroon text).

- Helmet, jersey and pants all feature striping that reflects the beveling in the logos. The bevel on the helmet stripe switches sides at the top of the helmet.

be6A4tu.png?1

South Alabama

- The jaguar logo replaces the "Jags" wordmark on the helmet.

- The athletic department's proprietary font is used for the numbers. (Their current number font is similar, but still out of the Nike catalog.)

- Helmet, jersey and pants all feature tapered striping that reflects the logo (specifically the back of the head).

SbA4fzf.png?1

Texas State

- No more single color logos, wordmarks or numbers. The helmet logos have a white stroke, per the brand standards, and the wordmarks and numbers have a stroke and slight drop shadow, also per the brand standards.

- The jerseys feature contrasting collar and cuffs with trim.

- The university's star logo is above the NOB, and the bobcat logo is on both sides of the pants.

squD724.png?1

Troy

- Replaced the busy sword and shield logo on the helmet with just the "Troy" wordmark.

- Altered the sword striping on the helmet to show the end of the sword, and added the striping to the jersey and pants.

- Used a double stroke on the numbers to match the wordmark.

GNYid2A.png?1

Amazing job with the final Sun Belt schools on your concept series. Gotta like the effects on some jerseys such as the ULM one, with the drop shadow trim effect on its wordmark letter/number font.

Possibly my favorite series to ever be completed. I have to give you major props for actually finishing the entire NCAA too, that can be a hard task to keep churning out ideas and keep a series this big alive and you did an excellent job with every concept. Great job again, I hope to see more series from you in the future!

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

Archived