NFL International Series discussion

johnnysama

Simply put, I have made this thread to talk about the NFL International Series, like your thoughts and ideas about it.

---

It's hard to believe, but back in 2005 (That long ALREADY? Time flies...... :D) I envisioned the Super Bowl being played in Tokyo. Now, since there's been talk about having the Super Bowl in London, having one in Tokyo doesn't seem to be as far-fetched as it was when I hatched the idea then. While it's nice to have a few games in London, I think that Tokyo should host a few regular season games.... I have heard from some people living there that 'Amefuto' (as the Japanese call it) is VERY popular there. So, that's my say.

UBwef0L.png

Considering it is 6PM Eastern now (the typical starting time of SB), and it is 8 AM on Monday in Tokyo, I don't see that one happening any time soon.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Also, London and Tokyo in February are both pretty cold, I bet. A knock against them, although I recognize that we just had a Super Bowl in NYC. As long as cities in the US are rolling over to give the NFL ridiculous perks for hosting, they shouldn't mess with it.

Holding a Super Bowl anywhere off of the American continent (North and South) wouldn't happen. They'd lose too much attendance or ratings because of the wacky time zone difference.

What the NFL should do is split up their "International" Series. 3 games in London per season is overkill, and the games will lose luster for anyone there and crowds will quickly drop. One per year is probably the max for that market. Plus, it's not like there's a shortage of money to be made in international markets. Paris, Mexico City, Rio, Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, pretty much any large German city would work just fine.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Germany is the only real option there as far as economics and interest goes. You have an extra hour difference to deal with, which would make it slightly more difficult than London. I was in Germany during a freak October blizzard a couple of years ago. I think that was an anomaly, but still weather could be an issue later in the season. You have several good cities there to host games and/or eventually place teams.

Spain's economy blows and while there may be a little interest I can't see it working. I've never heard Portugal mentioned before and I'm not sure why it's beig mentioned now other than just throwing out random locations. If I'm wrong about that let me know.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

They're should be 32 international series games per year -- if one team gives up a home game, all teams should.

That or just offload the preseason games to Europe. Neutral field regular season games are bogus.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

That or just offload the preseason games to Europe. Neutral field regular season games are bogus.

That's not the worst idea I've ever heard. Solves a little of the problem with requiring season ticket holders to buy preseason games.

Not sure how receptive they'd be to watching backups for 75+% of the game, though.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Who cares? Unless the end game is putting an NFL team in Europe (it can't be) or building a European league (failed multiple times), the international games are just exhibitions anyway.

Chelsea, Man U, Barcelona and the Bayern Munich all play games here -- often with starters for a bit -- but they aren't games that count. They do it because they want to grow the game in the US, but not at the expense of legitimate matches.

I don't get why the NFL is so quick to standardized unbalanced schedules among its teams. There is a way to do the Euro circuit without picking away at fairness. I'm also surprised this isn't a bigger deal.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived