Thrift Store Gems 2015

johnnysama

At Goodwill I got a size 48 Champion #28 Warrick Dunnn Tampa Bay Buccaneers Jersey and a 50th anniversary San Francisco 49ers Reebok snapback hat. I passed on a fake #88 Jermichael Finley Packers jersey, a #96 North Carolina Tar Heels football jersey, a Florida Gators Velcro back hat and a 2004 World Series hat. Last week I passed on a size 44 Charles Woodson Champion Oakland Raiders Jersey and got a Chicago Bulls 90's stadium giveaway hat with Sports Chanel sponsor on the back.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At Goodwill I got a size 48 Champion #28 Warrick Dunnn Tampa Bay Buccaneers Jersey and a 50th anniversary San Francisco 49ers Reebok snapback hat. I passed on a fake #88 Jermichael Finley Packers jersey, a #96 North Carolina Tar Heels football jersey, a Florida Gators Velcro back hat and a 2004 World Series hat. Last week I passed on a size 44 Charles Woodson Champion Oakland Raiders Jersey and got a Chicago Bulls 90's stadium giveaway hat with Sports Chanel sponsor on the back.

Hey, that Warrick Dunn jersey is the same one I got, if you got it in red.

UBwef0L.png

There's a local card store I've been wanting to go to all the time since I've moved to Wake Forest, finally went in, and picked up a rookie Chipper Jones card and a Class-A Appleton Foxes A-Rod card for 3 bucks

Got a late 1990's Nike size L Mike McKenzie #34 Packers jersey but left an early Reebok #30 Ahman Green jersey and a Reebok #84 Javon Walker jersey both Packers and size M. Also left a corduroy University of Michigan hat, an old Seattle Mariners hat (blue with yellow S) and a Notre Dame hockey jersey #26.

Today at Value Village i snagged an original teal Sharks jersey, no name on back for $5.99!!!! It's a bit small, youth XL while I normally wear men's M, but my son could probably fit into it in a few years, plus there was no way I was turning it down for 6 bucks.

Also saw a beautiful Calgary Flames red, circa I believe 2004. It had a 1989 Stanley Cup patch on it, probably 25th anniversary...with the flaming horse heads on the shoulders. Lace up collar. No name or number. 35 bucks though. Probably worth it, but I passed.

I also saw a black original Coyotes jersey, but when I went to look, it was just a rec league team that used the template.

sig.png

Is there a thread for Thrift Store Duds or Prices Gone Wrong?

Don't know if someone got a decimal point wrong or someone at Value Village has no clue about hockey teams.

Men's white XL hockey jersey in Sharks colours, with some beer league logo screened on a circular crest and sewn on, plus a heat sealed number on the back.

$59.99 on price tag!!!

(no luck on any finds there or the Salvation Army in the same mini-mall this week)

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

Got a size 48 Champion Dallas Mavericks #5 Jason Kidd Jersey (Missing the tags but I wear a size 48 and it was the same size as the other size 48s I own). Also got a size 40? Champion #23 Chicago Bulls Michael Jordan Jersey. ( Also missing tags). Got a size XL new with tags starter Super Bowl XXXI champion Green Bay Packers Shirt.

^ On a semi-related note, a couple years ago I found a Drew Bledsoe jersey in the same style, made by Wilson. I would presume that various manufacturers were allowed to make the jerseys for retail purposes only (even if the team/player on the jersey was made by a different manufacturer contracted by the team), which was the norm prior to the turn of the century. (And no, my jersey isn't for sale).

Jersey manufacturers, especially retail replicas, before the Reebok deal in 2002 is a massive crapshoot. Nike, Reebok, Adidas, Puma, Wilson, Starter, Apex, Russell Athletic, LogoAthletic, Logo 7, and probably some I'm forgetting, all made retail replicas at some point for most teams.

Case in point: the 49ers wore Wilson on-field from the early 90s to (I think) 1995, Reebok 1996-98, Adidas 1999-2001. (I might be off by a year or so on some.) I've seen Steve Young replicas made by most of the above companies.

Revisiting this slightly again now: I found a Patriots on-field model jersey from the 'big Flying Elvis' era from the late-1990s that was made by Russell Athletic on ebay; the same could be kind of said of their 'ProLine' jerseys, which was the NFL's version of the authentic on-field jerseys made for retail. Russell Athletic NEVER made the jerseys from that era for the players; only Starter and Adidas did, as I mentioned.

UBwef0L.png

^ On a semi-related note, a couple years ago I found a Drew Bledsoe jersey in the same style, made by Wilson. I would presume that various manufacturers were allowed to make the jerseys for retail purposes only (even if the team/player on the jersey was made by a different manufacturer contracted by the team), which was the norm prior to the turn of the century. (And no, my jersey isn't for sale).

Jersey manufacturers, especially retail replicas, before the Reebok deal in 2002 is a massive crapshoot. Nike, Reebok, Adidas, Puma, Wilson, Starter, Apex, Russell Athletic, LogoAthletic, Logo 7, and probably some I'm forgetting, all made retail replicas at some point for most teams.

Case in point: the 49ers wore Wilson on-field from the early 90s to (I think) 1995, Reebok 1996-98, Adidas 1999-2001. (I might be off by a year or so on some.) I've seen Steve Young replicas made by most of the above companies.

Revisiting this slightly again now: I found a Patriots on-field model jersey from the 'big Flying Elvis' era from the late-1990s that was made by Russell Athletic on ebay; the same could be kind of said of their 'ProLine' jerseys, which was the NFL's version of the authentic on-field jerseys made for retail. Russell Athletic NEVER made the jerseys from that era for the players; only Starter and Adidas did, as I mentioned.

To add to this, I used to own a circa-97 Wilson Pro Line Drew Bledsoe authentic jersey... I would still own it today if 90's authentics didn't have those weird batwing sleeves.

I personally still prefer mid-90's Champion replica jerseys over anything that isn't game-used... their fit was great and I loved Impact was used for every team's nameplate.

Archived