Regional Pronunciation Guide for Sports-Related Topics

pianoknight

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One that I've never understood is Louisville.

I accept that locals typically say "Luhlvuhl" and just squash the crap out of it, but I've always said "Lou-ee Ville" particularly in relation to the baseball bats. I'm fine referring to the city with the mash potato name, but are the bats supposed to be called "Luhvuhull Sluggers?"

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I accept that locals typically say "Luhlvuhl" and just mash the crap out of it, but I've always said "Louie Ville" particularly in relation to the baseball bats. Are they supposed to be called "Luhvuhull Sluggers?"

"Luhlvuhl?" I was there last year and it seemed like everyone pronounced it like sports announcers refer to the school - Lou-ih-vuhl. It wasn't nearly as smashed as that pronunciation. But yes, it seems like outside of referring to the school, most people say Louie-ville. I've always said Louie-ville Slugger.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The gringos here still call Chavez Ravine "sha-VEZ" Ravine.

A throwback, for sure, but it's been pronounced like that for a long time, so people just keep with it. It rolls off the tongue. Sha-VEZ ra-VEEN. Has a ring to it like Cooo-stanza! CHA-vez Ravine doesn't sound nearly as cool.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Also, on the Oregon front, there's a few crazy pronunciations for the home cities of the Ducks and Beavers.

The Ducks play in Eugene, said just like the male name, but announcers and others always want to emphasize the first syllable so it comes out YOU-gene, instead of you-GENE. Makes them sound like Tarzan. "You Gene! Me Tarzan!"

The Beavers play in Corvallis, which locals pronounce either as core-VAL-iss, or sometimes I've heard cur-VAL-iss. Occasionally, I've heard sports casters butcher it and say something like CORV-a-liss.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I accept that locals typically say "Luhlvuhl" and just mash the crap out of it, but I've always said "Louie Ville" particularly in relation to the baseball bats. Are they supposed to be called "Luhvuhull Sluggers?"

"Luhlvuhl?" I was there last year and it seemed like everyone pronounced it like sports announcers refer to the school - Lou-ih-vuhl. It wasn't nearly as smashed as that pronunciation. But yes, it seems like outside of referring to the school, most people say Louie-ville. I've always said Louie-ville Slugger.

Fgallery4-2.jpg

In the 757, Norfolk, Virginia is pronounced (Naw-falk) not NOR-Folk.

DMV (Capital Beltway Area)

Maryland is pronounced (mUR-land like the wizard Merlin instead of Mair-E-land. Carolina is pronounced (KUR-lina). Virginia is pronounced both (Va-gin-yah) and (Ver-gin-yah). Baltimore is pronounced (Ball-more) in some areas.

Don't know if it is just Baltimore and Pennsylvania that does this but they pronounce Washington as (WURSH-ington)

GrizzlyBlack Designs, UDC Firebird

Montreal is pronounced mon-Rey-al in French, and in English it's perfectly acceptable to say mun-tree-all. I always hear Americans call it Mawn-tray-all, and it makes my ears bleed everytime.

It's Mo-rré-al in French. Morréal. You don't pronounce the "nt"

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

I don't think any of y'all would ever wanna hear me talk, then. :P

In the 757, Norfolk, Virginia is pronounced (Naw-falk) not NOR-Folk.

DMV (Capital Beltway Area)

Maryland is pronounced (mUR-land like the wizard Merlin instead of Mair-E-land. Carolina is pronounced (KUR-lina). Virginia is pronounced both (Va-gin-yah) and (Ver-gin-yah). Baltimore is pronounced (Ball-more) in some areas.

Don't know if it is just Baltimore and Pennsylvania that does this but they pronounce Washington as (WURSH-ington)

That slurred "r" thing has always befuddled me, in wondering how it got to the places in which it exists--it's even permeated some of Florida Panhandle vernacular (where many of us native types pronounce the word "orange" as "URRR-inge"). You'll hear it in the DMV, as well as St. Louis (as anyone who's either been there or heard Nelly before can attest to), Memphis, and even Louisville (which for the record I pronounce as "loo-ih-VEEL"--the last syllable as I tend to do with every other word or place name with an "ill" in it...which probably explains why I get laughed at every time I'm either in or through Milwaukee). I even hear it in some parts of Texas, though not nearly as stressed.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Yeah y'all also call water fountains "bubblers" too--that always throws me for a loop, even almost four years after I first heard it. Then again, I still to this day get thrown by the "Pittsburghese" and I lived there for six years.

(For what its worth, your city emerges from my voicebox sounding like "meel-WAWWLL-kih"...it is what it is)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I still remember the time I got asked if I was from England because I referred to a bubbler in Tennessee.

We also have tyme machines in Milwaukee, but they're not nearly as awesome as they sound. :D

Montreal is pronounced mon-Rey-al in French, and in English it's perfectly acceptable to say mun-tree-all. I always hear Americans call it Mawn-tray-all, and it makes my ears bleed everytime.

It's Mo-rré-al in French. Morréal. You don't pronounce the "nt"

As a French-Canadian who was born there, I believe I know how to pronounce the city's name in French. You're right you don't pronounce the t, however you always pronounce the n.

1zqy8ok.gif

Archived