Regional Pronunciation Guide for Sports-Related Topics

pianoknight

In the 757, Norfolk, Virginia is pronounced (Naw-falk) not NOR-Folk.

DMV (Capital Beltway Area)

Maryland is pronounced (mUR-land like the wizard Merlin instead of Mair-E-land. Carolina is pronounced (KUR-lina). Virginia is pronounced both (Va-gin-yah) and (Ver-gin-yah). Baltimore is pronounced (Ball-more) in some areas.

Don't know if it is just Baltimore and Pennsylvania that does this but they pronounce Washington as (WURSH-ington)

There is a Norfolk, Nebraska - smallish city north of Omaha. It's pronounced something like Nor-Fork. There's also a town called Beatrice, but it's not said like the female name (Bee-uh-triss), it's said Bee-ATT-riss.

I go to Beatrice a few times a year, and I always hate to hear it pronounced "Bee-uh-triss" instead of "Bee-AT-triss." My math teacher was born in rural Nebraska, lived in North Carolina for a while, and somehow ended up a Louisville fan. He's always told us that they pronounce it "Luhlvuhl" but I for one have always said "Loo-ee-vill." I'm not sure how they pronounce it in Nevada, but I've always called it "Neh-vadd-uh". I've also heard "Mizz-ur-uh", but I've always said (and mostly heard) "Mizz-ur-ee"

We had family friends who now live outside Reno in town over Christmas and they reminded us over and over that it is pronounce "Neh-VADD-uh" . . . to the point that the rest of started saying "Neh-VODD-uh" just for fun.

In the 757, Norfolk, Virginia is pronounced (Naw-falk) not NOR-Folk.

DMV (Capital Beltway Area)

Maryland is pronounced (mUR-land like the wizard Merlin instead of Mair-E-land. Carolina is pronounced (KUR-lina). Virginia is pronounced both (Va-gin-yah) and (Ver-gin-yah). Baltimore is pronounced (Ball-more) in some areas.

Don't know if it is just Baltimore and Pennsylvania that does this but they pronounce Washington as (WURSH-ington)

"wursh" is more of a central/western PA thing. I've definately heard it, but way more so when I was an undergrad near Pittsburgh. They talk all kind of goofy there. Actually, the "r after a" sound is very common in NY, but more at the end of words ending with A. There's a word for that, and I know it, I just can't think of it right now after having a few. I think it's s common inflection in England as well.

I think it's more like MARE-lind than MUR-land (at least in BALL-duh-more). The nation's capital is WARSH-ing-tin.

For the second bolded part, the example I always think of is English announcers talking about the American pop artist "Madonner."

I've heard Mary-Land and I've always pronounced it as Murland or Mare-A-Lind

Other things I've noticed include New Hamp-Shur vs New Hamp-Shire like from lotr. and Flor-Id-A vs Flor-EE-Da

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Northwestern Ohio, there's a city called Wooster. It isn't pronounced WOO-ster, but WUH-ster. And in Southern Ohio, there's a city called Ironton, not pronounced IRON-ton, but ERNT-en. However, U.S. Central Ohioans aren't savages, and we don't have any accents :P

That's what- She

Well let's just keep this Ohio thing rolling then, shall we? Let's see...

Lima: it's also a city in Peru; but apparently the city in Ohio pronounces it like the bean. (There's also a North Lima...but we won't get into how it's dang near on the Pennsylvania border while Lima is on the complete opposite side of the state...at a more northern latitude.)

Further up I-75 exists a place called Wapakoneta...I'm sure you see how that can get butchered ten different ways. I still don't know how to say it, but I heard someone on the news pronounce it as "wuh-PAH-kuh-nettuh".

Back to the long vowel sound thing...right around the I-71/I-76 split exists a place called Medina. Nope...not pronounced like the last word in the title of an old Tone Loc jam, but "meh-DINE-uh". Six or seven miles down from there is a town called Lodi...I still call it "low-die" out of habit, but I think it's actually pronounced "Low-dee".

Now...turning attention eastward..I need some clarification on some things.

I watched a lot of Reading Rainbow growing up. At the end of the show they always showed the credits, and mentioned that the show was sponsored (?) by the Carnegie Foundation. Now, all my life I grew up hearing that said as "CAR-nuh-gee", so that's what i always thought it was. But then I moved to Pittsburgh and...oh boy. Well they pronounce it as "car-NAY-gee". And sticking with jacked-up Pittsburgh dialect...the neighborhood I grew up in down home had a lot of French-named streets. Teo of them were Marseilles and Versailles. Now ever since my very first world history class in middle school I'd always heard these words as "mar-SAY" and "vur-SAI" (like the weapon), so I pronounced them as such. Well, there's a suburb east of Pittsburgh called North Versailles...except they call it "North vur-SAILS". As for the other place, there's a town out west of Chicago that has that name...but I keep hearing "mar-SAILS" out of them, too.

Oh and...not that anyone cares about this next part, but after the "three rivers"--Allegheny (that's alluh-GAIN-ee for those unfamiliar--say "alligator" a few times and you'll catch on), Monongahela (pronounced just as it looks) and the Ohio (duh), there's a fourth river that no one ever talks about called the Youghioheny River. I seriously doubt anyone there knows how to really say it--I have a hard enough time spelling it (spell check, please!), but I remember hearing a bunch of people call it the "YAHK-kuh-gainy"

What do yinz say?? /confused

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Call-uh-rad-oh, maybe Call-oh-rad-oh... but never Call-uh(oh)-rod-oh

I also see Avalanches and Aves instead of Avalanche and Avs, which personally bothers me.

There are also nearby towns called Lafayette and Louisville which are locally pronounced la-fee-ette and lewis-ville.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

"Iggles"

philadelphia_eagles_logo_4008.png

I've actually never heard that, unless you count slurring "the" and 'eagles" together ("theiggles"). I have always wondered where "iggles" came from, unless it's just a mockery of the trashy philadelphia accent.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

"Iggles"

I've actually never heard that, unless you count slurring "the" and 'eagles" together ("theiggles"). I have always wondered where "iggles" came from, unless it's just a mockery of the trashy philadelphia accent.

My dad says the Iggles. I, too, wonder what's the origin of that pronunciation.

I also see Avalanches and Aves instead of Avalanche and Avs, which personally bothers me.

There are also nearby towns called Lafayette and Louisville which are locally pronounced la-fee-ette and lewis-ville.

I've always said "Call-uh-rad-oh" instead of "Call-uh-rahd-oh." I guess the people that say "Call-uh-rahd-oh" are the same people that say "Neh-vahd-uh" :P

"Iggles"

I say "Eagles" (at least I think I do most of the time?!), but "Yo, how bout dem Iggles!" is a completely acceptable sentence in this region

"Iggles"

The only time I've ever heard it pronounced that way was by Pittsburghers, who might have the most jacked up american accent this side of the Cajuns.

Iggle-Video-logo.gif

PvO6ZWJ.png

My grandmother on my mom's side is from Ilionis - i'm okay as long as you don't pronounce it il-uh-noise. Family in iowa will give you strange looks and possible correct you if you say Dez-Moyn-es. Yeah, Il-eye-nye is the one I've heard as the correct pronunciation of Illini.

Medieval has two different pronunciations: Meh-dee-vuhl and Mid-E-vuhl. According to the cambridge dictionary the first pronunciation is the majority UK favorite and the second is the majority US favorite. I've pronounced Medieval both ways, depending on who I've just listened to say the word. Though the second pronunciation sounds "more" right to me.

Often - Often or Off-ten. The first pronunciation from what I remember is the original way to pronounce it, but pronouncing the T in the word is gaining steam.

Picture - This is one of the few that irritate me if I hear it mispronounced. Went out with some friends to a sports bar when I was living on the east coast and I was supposed to bring a picture of some sort (don't remember of what), yet we also ordered a pitcher of beer. He asked if I got the picture. He pronounced it like Pitcher. I was confused. He finally said photo. I knew what he meant. Pic-ture. Thankfully Pics has helped somewhat.

Realtor - I might be mispronouncing this word. I always said it more like re-uhl-ter. However the other day I was in my car listening to the NCG on the radio in Central California a commercial came on and it was something to do with the association of realtors, and/or Realtor.com yet the whole commercial they kept saying real-al-TOR. It was getting on my nerves.

I actually did a quick search and found a couple youtube videos in the way they were pronouncing realtor, and it's not so much the pronunciation of the word, but more of the part of the word they/he is emphasizing. The radio commercial dude was even worse in emphasizing "tor".

From what I've found in the quick search is east coast speakers pronounce it like this commercial and the rest pronounce as I do, or at closer to how I pronounce it.

I'm spending way too much time on the pronunciation of words, wow...

When you start pronouncing the T in soften, then we'll talk about pronouncing the T in often.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I've always said "Call-uh-rad-oh" instead of "Call-uh-rahd-oh." I guess the people that say "Call-uh-rahd-oh" are the same people that say "Neh-vahd-uh" :P

Strict Spanish pronunciation would be "Kah-lah-ROD-o" and "Neh-VOD-ah." You could make an argument for that, but if you do then you should also be saying things like "Los Ann-hey-lase" or "Tay-has."

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I'll never understand why "Las" Angeles is the way people say it. Not saying "Angeles" the Spanish way I can get, because an English speaker wouldn't look at a G and pronounce it as an H. "Los" is pretty easy to say, though.

I still remember the time I got asked if I was from England because I referred to a bubbler in Tennessee.

We also have tyme machines in Milwaukee, but they're not nearly as awesome as they sound. :D

That one didn't throw me near as much--probably because the novelty of people calling automated teller machines something other than an ATM (this from someone who still catches himself calling those "tellers" from time to time) wore off in Pittsburgh...where they call them MAC machines. (Money Access Center)
On this side of the pond, we call ATMs "cash machines". Either that or "cash points". We're boring like that :P

Don't think I've heard of a "bubbler" before.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Now that we're far away from sports-related pronunciations (and have been for a while, but hey, this is always an interesting topic)...

South Carolina has some weird ones.

Both NC and SC have a Beaufort. In SC, it's BYOO-f'rt. In NC, its BOW-f'rt.

McBee is well known locally for its speed trap - pronounced MACK-be instead of mick-BEE. I lived within an hour of this place for most of my life and only learned this a few years ago.

Darlington (home of the racetrack) is pronounced more like DOLL-ing-ton, but many locals drawl it even further into DAWL-in'n.

Van Wyck is a tiny unincorporated place best known as home to Shawn Crawford, winner of a few track medals at the Athens and Beijing Olympics. Pronounced "van-WIKE" instead of "van-WICK" or whatever else.

Street names are weird too. Huger Street in Columbia is "HYOO-gee" and Guignard Drive in Sumter is "GINN-yerd." Prioleau in Charleston is "PRAY-low."

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived