NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So take everything I said about expecting Rams fans to buy in and see better attendance in the coming weeks and say "WTF is this s***" and just throw it out.

The Rams did what they do so well these past few years. They took that glimmer of hope that was building in the fan base after a big win and crapped all over it with completely inept play against a bad opponent.

It will lead to further resentment and apathy for a team trying to leave town. I'd anticipate the numbers stay about what they were in week one.

We'll just have to agree to go on disagreeing, my friend. I'm seeing reports that the NFL's market evaluation was shaky, and empty seats can't help that situation.

But that first one was a great game for the hometown fans. Maybe they'll be able to feast on home cooking this year, be entertaining to watch there at least.

So take everything I said about expecting Rams fans to buy in and see better attendance in the coming weeks and say "WTF is this s***" and just throw it out.

The Rams did what they do so well these past few years. They took that glimmer of hope that was building in the fan base after a big win and crapped all over it with completely inept play against a bad opponent.

It will lead to further resentment and apathy for a team trying to leave town. I'd anticipate the numbers stay about what they were in week one.

Oh no we're not gonna do the thing where every week their fate is determined by whether they won that week's game

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Oh no we're not gonna do the thing where every week their fate is determined by whether they won that week's game

AND WE ARE LIVE FROM RAMS PARK WHERE STAN KROENKE JUST HIT TODD GURLEY WITH HIS ESCALADE!!!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't think their fate has anything to do with it. I've been pretty clear on that. I was just speaking to the attendance.

But also, no, no flip-flopping beyond this. I think this was the last shot they had at getting buy-in. I guess it could come late in the year if they can really get on a run, but it won't be weekly. The goodwill was squandered, and people are surely checked out.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/blog/2015/09/oakland-raiders-coliseum-city-floyd-kephart-ena.html?ana=twt

Some more on the Oakland situation. You know we keep hearing how the Rams and Chargers will be the two teams after a brokered agreement by some members of the media, but it's clear that Oakland is in the worst situation as far as getting a stadium in their home market.

Yeah, the Rams are in the best position to leave, the Raiders are in the worst position to stay, and the Chargers are just being sort of bratty. Be all that as it may, the Rams' ability to end their lease in St. Louis and privately finance a stadium/entertainment district outweighs the Raiders' need to get out of Oakland, whose piggybacking on the Rams would cannibalize a sensitive but high-ceiling market from day one.

But if we're going to play this attendance game, I think the win over Baltimore is going to start mobilizing the hordes of the glorious Raider Nation!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

After week two?! You're 1-1 and just beat the Seahawks.

No, they're 1-1 and just lost to the Redskins. And I'm not speaking for myself. I'm frustrated, but I'll still be tuning in with misguided optimism. And at some point I'll get to one of these games.

But for the overall fan base who's had nothing to buy into for over a decade, and now has a team literally asking you not to buy in? Yeah, it was a devastating loss, and I think it will keep people away.

They can make all the excuses they want, but they can't change the narrative they themselves are writing.

That's what I mean about the bizarre sense of petulance and entitlement I read online and hear from people I know there. They know the microscope is on, that the NFL is evaluating their city, and don't much care. Then they expect the league to either step and and prevent Kroenke from moving or immediately grant St. Louis an expansion franchise. Because they're too important a market to abandon. Well, boys, hate to say it, but you're proving just the opposite there.

I totally understand fans deciding that they won't support an owner or a team that has been bad. Withholding money is the most direct action a fan can take. But this year? When the NFL is deciding if you're worth the bother? This isn't the time. Kroenke isn't going to see an uptick in sales and take away that the city thinks he's doing a bang-up job. But Goodell and the owners just might see it and read it for what it is - a vote for football in St. Louis.

I'll never criticize a city for prioritizing other things above football. That's a noble choice, probably even the only legitimate one. But it is a choice. And if the fans in St. Louis think they're so special as to be able to make that choice without consequence, then they deserve to watch the LA Rams on television.

Again, I can't blame them one bit for not spending the large amount of money that it takes to go to an NFL game when it's 99.99% certain that the owner does not want to be there and the team is gone regardless of what happens. Going to a game costs too much (not sure about STL - maybe it's less on second hand market) to do just to make a statement.

The consequence isn't losing the Rams. That's inevitible. The consequence is losing out on a future move or expansion. And really I think the owners know the situation and won't hold this against the market. I am not saying they deserve another team - I really don't know, and my gut says that it's just not a good football market - but I don't think that when the Jags are looking for a new home and someone in the board room mentions STL, they're going to say "well, when the team sucked and was about to move to LA, they didn't pay hundreds of dollars to go to games".

If they feel that the support was there when they were good (as opposed to say a TB Rays situation) and that if they make a legit long-term commitment to the city the people will commit to them, they'll move to STL. Again I don't know that they'll feel that way, but the lack of attendance now just doesn't matter.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

^ I think that's pretty all fairly accurate (with the one thing that I think it probably is a good football market with more reasonable circumstances—though it's impossible to prove given all the circumstances football has had in STL).

I think Goth is wrong to suggest there's entitlement and an expectation that the league will step in. What their is is defeatism. This battle feels over and has for a long time. You've said as much. Do people believe the NFL is wrong for letting the Rams move? Sure. But do people think there's really more than a sliver of hope they step in? Nah. (And the people that do are going to the games already.) And do people really think the musical chairs or expansion scenarios that put another team in STL seem within any realistic grasp? Nope.

The chances of anything happening aren't worth the pandering. And the football isn't worth the emotional investment when the certainty of them leaving in 4 months is so high.

There is a lot of disagreement on what the St. Louis market is, but whatever it is, it is what it is. (Ya follow? ;) ) There's not a single thing the attendance in 2015 would change about what it is.

On another note. If for some reason the owners did decide to wait until 2017, I think that's a clear sign that it will be the Rams moving to LA. The St. Louis stadium plan doesn't need another year. It might need an extra month or something, but it doesn't need the year. It will be ready. But the San Diego plan does. And the Oakland play (which really doesn't exist) certainly does.

Lame-ducking the St. Louis market for a second year would be brutal, but from the league's perspective, if you're abandoning it, who cares. But this would keep the LA market still technically unclaimed and leave that bit of leverage floating out there for the Chargers to get there deal done in San Diego.

I'm not sure I see the NFL being that patient, but I think that would be the clear intention if they go that route.

Again, I can't blame them one bit for not spending the large amount of money that it takes to go to an NFL game when it's 99.99% certain that the owner does not want to be there and the team is gone regardless of what happens. Going to a game costs too much (not sure about STL - maybe it's less on second hand market) to do just to make a statement.

The secondary market shows you can go to five of the remaining home games for under $25/game. Three of which you can buy tickets for under $20. For $16, one can get a ticket for the Rams' last home game.

If the Rams are out of contention, I wonder how soon after that last home game the NFL announces the Rams are moving to Los Angeles. Their last home game is a Thursday night Week 15 game. The NFL can take the classy way out and hold the announcement until after the season...or they can give Los Angeles a Christmas present. With no home games left and no chance of a home playoff game, the Rams and/or the NFL can say "No point in hiding our intentions...we can piss off the fans now because we don't have to see them anymore"....

Why are we all so sure the Rams are a shoe-in to move?

From everything we've heard, strong voices on the LA committee favor keeping the Rams in St. Louis if a viable financing plan is found, reasons being not wanting to abandon home markets.

Also we've heard plenty how the Raiders and Chargers have enough votes to block a move(9 I believe, and Kroenke needs 23 votes in favor to actually move. Those numbers don't precisely match up because teams can abstain)

We also hear how there are owners who believe that a single stadium solution for two California teams that desperately need new stadiums is the better plan.

I don't think it's anywhere near settled that the Rams have that much momentum for a move.

Archived