Concept Thread Think Tank

raysox

Personally, I would find this very interesting and would like to see what teams the NFL would welcome and see how the logos and uniforms would evolve. (You would think the NFL would have team change their branding, too.)

• 4 weeks later...

I actually have a pretty big idea for an NBA Defunct Saga thread inspired by SFGiants58's MLB Defunct saga thread, Problem is I'm not exactly a skilled designer like the talented people in this forum, but I do think the concept is good enough for a designer to turn into its own separate thread.

FORMER TEAMS

Anderson Packers

Baltimore Bullets (I)

Baltimore Bullets (II)

Buffalo Bisons

Buffalo Braves

Charlotte Bobcats

Chicago Stags

Chicago Zephyrs

Cincinnati Royals

Cleveland Rebels

Denver Nuggets (I)

Detroit Falcons

Fort Wayne Pistons

Indianapolis Jets

Indianapolis Olympians

Kansas City/Omaha Kings

Milwaukee Hawks

Minneapolis Lakers

New Jersey Nets

New Orleans Hornets

New Orleans Jazz

Oklahoma City Hornets

Philadelphia Warriors

Pittsburgh Ironmen

Providence Steamrollers

Rochester Royals

San Diego Clippers

San Diego Rockets

Seattle SuperSonics

Sheboygan (Commanders)

St. Louis Bombers

St. Louis Hawks

Syracuse Nationals

Tampa Bay Raptors

Tri-Cities Blackhawks

Toronto Huskies

Vancouver Grizzlies

Washington Capitols

Waterloo Hawks

ALTERNATE RELOCATIONS/NAME CHANGES

Anaheim Grizzlies

Anaheim Royals

Anaheim Seraphs (ex-Sonics)

Buffalo Grizzlies

Chicago Lakers

Kansas City Hornets

Kansas City Knights (ex-Sonics)

Kansas City Lakers

Kansas City Raptors

Las Vegas Gamblers (ex-Sonics)

Louisville Grizzlies

Louisville Hornets

Louisville Raptors

Nashville Hornets

Nashville Timberwolves

New Jersey Swamp Dragons

New Orleans Grizzlies

New Orleans Timberwolves

Rochester Raptors

San Diego Hornets

San Diego Timberwolves

San Francisco Lakers

San Jose Surf (ex-Sonics)

Seattle SuperSonics (ex-Kings)

St. Louis Kings

St. Louis Spirits (ex-Sonics)

Virginia Raptors

Virginia Beach Kings

PLAUSIBLE FUTURE RELOCATIONS

Kansas City Knights (ex-Pelicans)

Kansas City Nets

Las Vegas Bucks

Las Vegas Gamblers (ex-Pelicans)

Louisville Magic

Mexico City Hornets

San Diego Suns

Seattle SuperSonics (ex-Pelicans)

Seattle SuperSonics (ex-Timberwolves)

Vancouver Hawks

• Like 4

QNXVyki.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Back in the day, the Stanley cup worked a bit differently. any team who thought they were good enough could challenge the current champion in a game or series for the cup. I always thought that format was cool and it would be cool to see what it would be like in the current day. I have a vision for a league that operates on a challenge format. lets say we have 30 teams to start. 8 of those teams will be able to compete for the cup, while the other teams play games to train their players and win geographic "division" championships. then, the next season, the 7 teams that did not win the cup will have to defend their spot, with any teams from the lower league being allowed to challenge for their spot in the top 8. I started making some teams in the custom team feature of NHL 23 so I could play out this league in the game but it would be cool to make some real uniform concepts for them but I should probably "get gud" at that first. what do you guys think.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello,

My name is Peter Kopperud. I am a 20yr old graphic designer from Wisconsin who is extremely passionate about sports graphic design. I currently attend the University of Wisconsin - La Crosse and I have been working as a designer for about 5 years now.

This is my first post and I wanted to share a fun project I've been working on. I'm a huge baseball fan and every year for intramural softball I create jersey designs for our team to vote on. Once they've voted I will create these jerseys myself for the team to wear. Here are some examples of jerseys I did a couple years ago.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

To preface, this was all done as a personal portfolio project to showcase my ability to take a project from concept to product and it was just a blast to do. Now, I will add that unfortunately I've really grown to dislike this design. For a number of reasons. Firstly, it feels extremely unoriginal to me. I came up with around 10 unique jersey options for the team that year and I guess it should be no surprise that this killer color combo won the vote. Because let's be honest, it looks great when the St. Louis Cardinals sport it. which if you couldn't tell, it draws inspiration from. Furthermore, it is so basic, I felt it really didn't give me a chance to really go buck wild and show off some illustration capabilities and brand design understanding if a potential employer saw the project. Regardless it was a good jumping point, as now in the third year of doing this project annually, the scale and depth has grown considerably.

This year, I spent more time coming focusing on a solid, unique, creative, and fun 4-6 designs instead of 10 or so basic ones. Each of the proposed designs had to incorporate something about the area (La Crosse WI) or showcase a strong brand consciousness. Eventually our team came to the consensus that we wanted to be the La Crosse Squirrels. On the University of Wisconsin - La Crosse campus, the Squirrels are not only abundant but extremely fierce. Having been so desensitized to the chaos that ensues in a college town, especially one that hosts one of the biggest US Oktoberfest celebrations annually, we felt they were the perfect mascot for our team. It incorporates a lot of really thoughtful details and has some super fun but classic looking cream jerseys. This year in particular I ordered sublimated full button up jerseys unlike the t shirt jerseys of years prior. But that being said, I still made a ton of extra apparel available for my team to purchase for the season. The bit shown below is merely a quarter of the merchandise I created for teammates to purchase. There are about 6 other fully branded unique team concepts that I have tucked away alongside hundreds of other projects I've worked on that I hope to post in the future. For now I hope you enjoy, I will post pictures of the real jerseys the second I have them in my hands. Thanks so much - Pete

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by pwkopperud

15 hours ago, pwkopperud said:

Hello,

My name is Peter Kopperud. I am a 20yr old graphic designer from Wisconsin who is extremely passionate about sports graphic design. I currently attend the University of Wisconsin - La Crosse and I have been working as a designer for about 5 years now.

This is my first post and I wanted to share a fun project I've been working on. I'm a huge baseball fan and every year for intramural softball I create jersey designs for our team to vote on. Once they've voted I will create these jerseys myself for the team to wear. Here are some examples of jerseys I did a couple years ago.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

To preface, this was all done as a personal portfolio project to showcase my ability to take a project from concept to product and it was just a blast to do. Now, I will add that unfortunately I've really grown to dislike this design. For a number of reasons. Firstly, it feels extremely unoriginal to me. I came up with around 10 unique jersey options for the team that year and I guess it should be no surprise that this killer color combo won the vote. Because let's be honest, it looks great when the St. Louis Cardinals sport it. which if you couldn't tell, it draws inspiration from. Furthermore, it is so basic, I felt it really didn't give me a chance to really go buck wild and show off some illustration capabilities and brand design understanding if a potential employer saw the project. Regardless it was a good jumping point, as now in the third year of doing this project annually, the scale and depth has grown considerably.

This year, I spent more time coming focusing on a solid, unique, creative, and fun 4-6 designs instead of 10 or so basic ones. Each of the proposed designs had to incorporate something about the area (La Crosse WI) or showcase a strong brand consciousness. Eventually our team came to the consensus that we wanted to be the La Crosse Squirrels. On the University of Wisconsin - La Crosse campus, the Squirrels are not only abundant but extremely fierce. Having been so desensitized to the chaos that ensues in a college town, especially one that hosts one of the biggest US Oktoberfest celebrations annually, we felt they were the perfect mascot for our team. It incorporates a lot of really thoughtful details and has some super fun but classic looking cream jerseys. This year in particular I ordered sublimated full button up jerseys unlike the t shirt jerseys of years prior. But that being said, I still made a ton of extra apparel available for my team to purchase for the season. The bit shown below is merely a quarter of the merchandise I created for teammates to purchase. There are about 6 other fully branded unique team concepts that I have tucked away alongside hundreds of other projects I've worked on that I hope to post in the future. For now I hope you enjoy, I will post pictures of the real jerseys the second I have them in my hands. Thanks so much - Pete

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

@pwkopperud really cool stuff dude, I would create your own thread on here to get some more attention and interaction, but really like the squirrels concepts