Concept Thread Think Tank

raysox

On 6/14/2020 at 10:22 PM, Matthew24 said:

Okay, I just thought of this awhile back. But I was considering something about School and University that need a name change or team nickname and fast. For me I have two schools and a university that need to update their image.

For starter, my old High School, Douglass ISD and Jacksonville ISD (both based in East Texas) are nicknamed the Indians and I find it confusing and dumb. I never like the nickname and always called Douglass another team name like the Eagles or the Lions. As for Jacksonville, the city is known for their tomato festival. I never went to school in Jacksonville but I would rename them the Kings or something.

As for the University. I like Stephan F. Austin Lumberjack Basketball team and their team name is fitting for the school. But I do not respect the name of the school since Austin promoted slavery. I actually like to see them rename the college but keep the Lumberjack name. (Sidenote, I would also drop the Ladyjacks nickname and rename them the Lumberjills instead.) 

What schools you guys been to and needed a new school name or team name. 

Honorable Mention: Robert E. Lee High School in Tyler, Texas needs to be renamed as well. 

I'd have to do some more digging, but the one that jumps out at me is Sul Ross State in Alpine, Texas (I love Texas and it sucks that every school mentioned so far is in Texas). Sul Ross was a Confederate General and the President of Texas A&M, were he is commemorated with a controversial statue. The city of Alpine is over 50% Hispanic/Latinx and I think it would be appropriate for the University to adopt the name of Hispanic-American. Some possibilities include Bernal St after Martha Bernal, a Texas-native and First Latina to recieve a PhD in Physiology, or Diego Archuleta St named after a Union General and the first Hispanic to become a Brigadier General in the US Military.

This is the closest thing to a complete list of high schools using Native Nicknames that I could find:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_secondary_school_sports_team_names_and_mascots_derived_from_indigenous_peoples

Here is another one for colleges:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_sports_team_names_and_mascots_derived_from_indigenous_peoples

I don't think any of the College teams will change, but I would like some of the High School one to. Most of the College nicknames are either Warriors or Braves, which may require a change of mascot, but the names should be fine. Some of the High School nicknames though could be on the way out.

• Like 2

Following up on my previous comment, with the news that the SEC is pushing for a change of the Mississippi state flag, I wouldn't be shocked if Ole Miss gets rid of the Rebels nickname, either voluntarily or unvoluntarily.

4 hours ago, sportsfan7 said:

Following up on my previous comment, with the news that the SEC is pushing for a change of the Mississippi state flag, I wouldn't be shocked if Ole Miss gets rid of the Rebels nickname, either voluntarily or unvoluntarily.

Rebels is a tricky one for me. For me, Rebels can mean something from Star Wars then Confederate soldiers. I like that the SEC trying to get help get rid of Mississippi state flag, I just think the team might need a makeover to remove the confederate pass in the school. (Personal Opinion (here comes the flack): I lie the Rebels nickname but wouldn't mind seeing an updated term with it.)

Also adding to this is the Texas Rangers name. https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/06/19/columnist-texas-rangers-baseball-name-change-law-enforcement-agency-racist-history-embarrassment-fans/

As someone who used to like the Texas Rangers (Thanks Walker, Texas Ranger...). I honestly can see why the team needs a new name. Personally I think Dallas Raiders or Texas something or other. Personally. It just the times are changing. If it getting better, we have to wait and see.

My Alternative History Sports Stories:

CFL-USA - A Different Telling/StL Americans TL

32 minutes ago, Matthew24 said:

Rebels is a tricky one for me. For me, Rebels can mean something from Star Wars then Confederate soldiers. I like that the SEC trying to get help get rid of Mississippi state flag, I just think the team might need a makeover to remove the confederate pass in the school. (Personal Opinion (here comes the flack): I lie the Rebels nickname but wouldn't mind seeing an updated term with it.)

Also adding to this is the Texas Rangers name. https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/06/19/columnist-texas-rangers-baseball-name-change-law-enforcement-agency-racist-history-embarrassment-fans/

As someone who used to like the Texas Rangers (Thanks Walker, Texas Ranger...). I honestly can see why the team needs a new name. Personally I think Dallas Raiders or Texas something or other. Personally. It just the times are changing. If it getting better, we have to wait and see.

Even though the Rebels could be a Star Wars reference, in context (had the name since 1936, plays in a state with Confederate symbols on the state flag, playing for a University that frequently has on-campus KKK rallies, mascot until 2011 was a literal Confederate soldier, etc...) no one is thinking it refers to anything other than the Confederacy. I also think that most peoples first instinct upon hearing "Rebels" is to think of the Confederacy. Contrast this with Rangers. I would think that most people don't think of the Texas Rangers law enforcement upon hearing "Rangers". The other complicating factor with this is that the Texas Rangers still exist, whereas the Confederacy doesn't. For me, I think of it the opposite of you, I guess. I think the Rebels need a new name (Landsharks?), but the Rangers don't, although I wouldn't mind a change to the Dallas Rangers. This might provide enough separation and the name Texas Rangers has always been a pet peeve of mine because the Houston Astros also play in Texas. Also, I found out today that the New York Rangers were also named after the law enforcement agency. Their original owner was nicknamed Tex and thus the team was "Tex's Rangers".

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I had an idea for a Washington Generals concept that I'm not talented enough to do but I would like to see happen in some form. They could use Roman Republican military imagery (like using laurels or swords) so the Burgundy and Gold would feel more natural than if they used US military imagery. It could also be an homage to George Washington being the "modern Cincinnatus"

• Like 1

I've made a rather extensive list of College athletic programs in dire need of a rebrand. Majority of which I have completed and actually sent off to the University in the hope of getting one to stick. Haven't had much luck but honestly just the practice has been a blast. The first one I did was Mercer University Bears. Their current primary logo is dated and the bear itself lacks dimension. I was hoping to salvage the overall look, while giving it the update it needs.

spacer.png

On 7/14/2020 at 9:40 AM, DemoDave64 said:

I've made a rather extensive list of College athletic programs in dire need of a rebrand. Majority of which I have completed and actually sent off to the University in the hope of getting one to stick. Haven't had much luck but honestly just the practice has been a blast. The first one I did was Mercer University Bears. Their current primary logo is dated and the bear itself lacks dimension. I was hoping to salvage the overall look, while giving it the update it needs.

spacer.png

While I graduated elsewhere, I went to Mercer for my freshman college year.  I love this logo and would buy merchandise with it.

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, pjc said:

NEED HELP TO GET PDF IMAGE ON TO MY THREAD

1. Calm down. No need for the all caps.

2. You can't post a PDF on the boards. It has to be a raster image format thread like .png or .jpg. It has to be uploaded to a third-party hosting site, and then you copy the URL of the image (ending in .jpg or .png or other raster file format) and paste it into the composing box on the boards and it should embed automatically.

3. You can't start a thread until you have 3 posts on the boards. This is to weed out spammers and try to encourage people to engage in other threads before starting their own.

On 7/14/2020 at 9:40 AM, DemoDave64 said:

spacer.png

1 hour ago, officeglenn said:

1. Calm down. No need for the all caps.

2. You can't post a PDF on the boards. It has to be a raster image format thread like .png or .jpg. It has to be uploaded to a third-party hosting site, and then you copy the URL of the image (ending in .jpg or .png or other raster file format) and paste it into the composing box on the boards and it should embed automatically.

3. You can't start a thread until you have 3 posts on the boards. This is to weed out spammers and try to encourage people to engage in other threads before starting their own.

Thank you for your help  will try again tomorrow 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...