Commissioner Rob Manfred sees expansion in MLB's future

Dexter Morgan

Mac, just go by metro populations. A lot of those Southern and Western cities boosted their populations by eating their suburbs.

Maybe, but the bodies are still there.

No, they aren't. That's the point. You can exaggerate the size of one city compared to others by looking only within its physical limits and ignoring the size of metro areas.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly. Phoenix (?) appears to be around the same size as Philadelphia, while it's metro area is less than half the size and density is non existant.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Tried to quote the post but something went wrong, so idk. I'm talking about the quirk that with 2 new expansion teams mean there would be 2 new minor league teams everywhere. I was just wondering what the butterfly effect be?

Where would you put the Low-A league out west? I assume this would create a "third league" to go with the Midwest League and the New York-Penn League.

And what kind of AHL-type change are you talking about? I highly doubt the AAA leagues (Pacific Coast League and International League) would combine to make one mega-league. They'll still play within their own leagues. I mean, I don't think the Tacoma Rainiers are going to be wanting to play the Gwinett Braves.

There wouldn't be a low-A *league* out west. That was just uninformed speculation on my part about the interest of a reorg.

However, with each major league expansion team would come a AAA, AA, High A, Low A, Rookie League and Short season team (did I miss or add any?) in the minors.

So that's a lot of additional baseball markets.

Mac, just go by metro populations. A lot of those Southern and Western cities boosted their populations by eating their suburbs.

Maybe, but the bodies are still there.

No, they aren't. That's the point. You can exaggerate the size of one city compared to others by looking only within its physical limits and ignoring the size of metro areas.

right and this happens every time one of these threads comes up. Why wouldn't you include the total metro area? The whole of the market is who you draw ticket sales from. That's who watches your games on TV.

Why would we define market size by the arbitrarily drawn city limits that differ from city to city and then ignore the surrounding communities? That makes no sense.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Anyone wanna say why Nashville can/ can't be considered? It's always been a death wish of mine to see Nashville in MLB

Just built a new triple-A park that can't really be expanded, it would be smaller than Milwaukee without the quasi-regional base that the Brewers have taken years to build up, going to be hard to shake existing allegiances to the Cardinals and Braves, Nashville is too small to handle MLB, NFL, NHL, and college sports.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Anyone wanna say why Nashville can/ can't be considered? It's always been a death wish of mine to see Nashville in MLB

Just built a new triple-A park that can't really be expanded, it would be smaller than Milwaukee without the quasi-regional base that the Brewers have taken years to build up, going to be hard to shake existing allegiances to the Cardinals and Braves, Nashville is too small to handle MLB, NFL, NHL, and college sports.

You forgot they had the Predators.

2v1ao9y.jpg

TRhBP9N.png

YO2Xb6F.png

cubsfansig.jpg

No, he did not.

His intent was clearly that Nashville could not handle the Titans, Preds, Vanderbilt/Belmont/Tennessee St. (aka college sports) PLUS MLB on top of all that.

No, he did not.

His intent was clearly that Nashville could not handle the Titans, Preds, Vanderbilt/Belmont/Tennessee St. (aka college sports) PLUS MLB on top of all that.

Thank goodness there's no NBA there,or that would be hell.

2v1ao9y.jpg

TRhBP9N.png

YO2Xb6F.png

cubsfansig.jpg

Indianapolis deserves consideration; they are one of the biggest cities without an MLB team and although there metro area isn't very big they are near the top for attendance in Triple-A.

Umm, no.

The Pacers get government dollars for the arena; the USL team b!tches for state money, and Lucas Oil Stadium loses money on the Super Bowl and of Final Four.

Indianapolis deserves consideration; they are one of the biggest cities without an MLB team and although there metro area isn't very big they are near the top for attendance in Triple-A.

Too close to many already established MLB markets. Within 5 hours drive of Cincinnati, Chicago, Chicago, Milwaukee, Cleveland, and St. Louis.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Umm, no.

The Pacers get government dollars for the arena; the USL team b!tches for state money, and Lucas Oil Stadium loses money on the Super Bowl and of Final Four.

Although I overall agree with you, there is quite a bit here I don't agree with. It's a NASL team that asked for user fee taxes. It's a bit different than the Pacers and Colts deals. And LOS wasn't a good deal for taxpayers but the super bowl and final fours are legitimately a great thing for the city. You'll find very few people that want those to go away.

Archived