Miami FC

Dexter Morgan

Nice logo but enough with the generic Euro brands already!

It would be nice if we could go one soccer-related thread here without this complaint popping up.

There's a reason why teams do this. It's popular! Soccer fans like seeing teams adopt soccer-specific naming conventions. It's not even that far-reaching. You still have your standard North American-style names like "Seattle Sounders," "New York Cosmos," and "Vancouver Whitecaps."

So please. Give it a rest.

I feel like the bigger problem for most people is the choice of "FC" over "SC". The sport is called soccer in this country. Now for a team in Miami, with the city's large Spanish-speaking population, it makes a little more sense. For, say, New York City, not so much.

Then you really don't know New York City. 38 percent of our people were born overseas. We are a city of immigrants.

But even for the natives, a large segment of the team's target audience is people who already follow the sport overseas. Building a club that fits within that international context is a no-brainer. A global club for a global city.

Then you really don't know New York City. 38 percent of our people were born overseas. We are a city of immigrants.

But even for the natives, a large segment of the team's target audience is people who already follow the sport overseas. Building a club that fits within that international context is a no-brainer. A global club for a global city.

My point wasn't really about New York City--that's just the first "FC" team that came to mind. (I know that NYC is full of immigrants--not a good reason IMO to go FC, but I guess I could've used a better example.) My point is that "FC" could make sense for a team like Miami to appeal to the Latin population, but everyone else (and honestly southern teams, too) should use "SC" since they're a part of a SOCCER league. "City/State SC" offers the European naming convention without the contradiction.

"The original MLS bunch" is about the best justification I can think of for an injection of global-style names.

Exactly. "San Jose Clash," "Dallas Burn," and "Tampa Bay Mutiny" aren't exactly the examples you want to hold up to argue against European-style naming conventions.

It's still a step up from the tepid, boring, and unoriginal European-style naming conventions like FC, and FC, and FC, oh and FC....

You may as well slap this on every team and be done with it...

no-name_web224.jpg

tigercatssignature-1.png

"The original MLS bunch" is about the best justification I can think of for an injection of global-style names.

Exactly. "San Jose Clash," "Dallas Burn," and "Tampa Bay Mutiny" aren't exactly the examples you want to hold up to argue against European-style naming conventions.

It's still a step up from the tepid, boring, and unoriginal European-style naming conventions like FC, and FC, and FC, oh and FC....

Never mind "Sporting," "SC," "Dynamo," "United," and "Real."

Not that the last one is any good, but my point is that "Euro-style" names aren't just all "FC."

You may as well slap this on every team and be done with it...

no-name_web224.jpg

Not sure why that's a bad thing. No Name stuff rules! :upside:

Seriously though? It's not as if "FC" teams are devoid of unique identities. Toronto FC has a brand 100x stronger then the Toronto Blizzard ever had. No one cared about the Dallas Burn. FC Dallas has a strong fan following.

I'm not saying that the choice has to be terrible North American names or European-style names. I'm simply saying that the Euro-names have resonated in ways that their 90s XTREME predecessors didn't. And they've resonated strongly enough that, from a marketing standpoint, it would be stupid to change them now.

I don't really have much of a problem with "Real" or "United" or others like that. However, I don't care what kind of attraction a name has to people overseas, it's stupid for an American-based club to be using "FC". It's called soccer over here, not football.

We can agree that Atlanta United FC is just the worst, though, right?

While I think appropriating Euro names and styling has benefited the league, I think it's also interesting that among the teams with the strongest branding (according to me, of course), you've got teams like LA Galaxy, Columbus Crew SC, Seattle Sounders FC, and Portland Timbers. New York City FC, Orlando City, Real Salt Lake and Sporting KC are toward the top end as well (because they're all handsome), but I think that having a nickname gives you more options.

Even if you don't actually embrace the nickname -- like Seattle and Columbus -- it's something else that adds to the brand.

FC Dallas Bulls would be as good as FC Dallas. Atlanta Silverbacks FC would be a vast improvement on AUFC. Miami FC and Cincinnati FC seem kind of empty.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I don't get all the "Football Club" hate. The sport is called football. Even if soccer is the preferred term here in NA, it's not the only name. If a Euro club decided to call themselves Blank SC, would you be up in arms that they should be FC? Or would you just accept that the terms are interchangeable and ultimately it is a branding decision? Do we really need to continue to have these arguments with every new club?

"Soccer" was originally shorthand for "association football," the sport's formal name. So "FC" still works for "soccer club" in a roundabout way.

As for rehashing this argument? It'll only end when certain old-timers finally come to terms with the fact that the NASL was not the pinnacle of professional top flight soccer in North America.

Not sure what you mean or to whom you are referring.

It is a fact, however, that the NASL was the pinnacle of professional top flight soccer in North America. Emphasis on "was". As in "in its day". From 1968-1984 there was no higher level of soccer in this country.

Is it now? No. But now we're back to the I'm not sure whom you're talking about part.

11324950_1003015916398686_910328150_n.jp

11849400_912196525533615_1952920696_n.jp

Miami FC soccer team unveils logo, shield for inaugural season

BY MICHELLE KAUFMAN

mkaufman@MiamiHerald.com

While David Beckham negotiates with Miami-Dade leaders for a Major League Soccer stadium, the city’s other new professional team, Miami FC, took a step toward its inaugural 2016 season by unveiling its logo and shield.

Miami FC, which will play in the NASL (the same league as the Fort Lauderdale Strikers), begins play April 2016. The home stadium has not been announced, but sources indicated it most matches will be at Florida International University.

The team colors are orange and blue, with a hint of aqua. Orange is for the city’s energy, blue and aqua for the water and sky. The design is Art Deco, a tribute to the area’s distinct architecture.

“Our mission with Miami FC is to connect with Miami’s communities through the global language of soccer,” said Antonio Barreto, CEO of Miami FC. “We wanted to make sure the badge and seal drew inspiration from the distinctive character that makes the city great, and we also wanted to create something that was truly representative of Miami’s dynamic spirit.”

The team is owned by sports media magnate Riccardo Silva. Former Italian star Paolo Maldini, a part-time Miami resident for 15 years, is a co-owner and will be in charge of personnel and player development.

FIU Stadium

national-bowl-game-at-alfonso-field-at-f

Interesting that the way the globe is turned, it emphasizes Central and South America more than the United States (which technically makes sense for Miami). It wasn't mentioned if that was done on purpose, but it's interesting nonetheless.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Not sure what you mean or to whom you are referring.

It is a fact, however, that the NASL was the pinnacle of professional top flight soccer in North America. Emphasis on "was". As in "in its day". From 1968-1984 there was no higher level of soccer in this country.

Is it now? No. But now we're back to the I'm not sure whom you're talking about part.

Any poster who remembers the NASL and who insists that MLS teams with European-style names ditch them in favour of the names of their NASL counterparts.

Archived