Socks That Ruined NFL Looks

Elmos World 17

My personal sock rules:

- In most cases the sock should be a different color from the pants. Exception: I think the Bengals look worse with orange socks and black pants than they do with the black socks/black pants.

- light colors such as yellow, gray, gold should not be worn as a full sock color. If that's the case then the team should go with white striped socks. The Lions in the 90's wore blue pants with gray socks for a few games. Would've looked so much better with white socks with stripes that matched their sleeves.

As much as everybody loves the Texans with red socks on the road, I've always felt the same about them. They were better than navy, but it always looked off to me. They would have looked much better wearing white socks with striping to match the white pants.

I agree. Even a single navy stripe to mimic the shoulder stripe would be preferable.

I think when the socks are a lighter color than the pants it sort of looks like a photo negative and is weird looking. We're so used to seeing the darker color used on the socks that it's a strange sight when they're the other way around.

I miss the red socks with the navy as well but more and more, I think they should have went with striped socks for the aways.

what would look good for the vikings with the purple pants?...white socks with the white jersey sleeve stripe? someone mock that up for science, and lets pass it along to the vikings.

Done.

vikeroad_zpsfe0f4743.png

Like this but sub purple for navy and gold for red.

Seahawks should have neon greens to go with the blue pants, gold socks for Saints black pants and Raven should bring back the stripes they originally had before ditching them.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Redskins striped socks (which match nothing) with their burgundy and yellow uniforms.

The Redskins stripes are definitely inconsistent, but you can't say the socks match nothing. The center stripes of the socks match the stripes on the helmet.

wash-12-redyellow-zumapress-vert-620x794

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I think that's an accident more than anything, but I would be in favor of them using the actual helmet stripes on the socks. Would tie the look together more.

Better yet just go back to this

tempMark_Rypien_Redskins_Career_3--nfl_m

move the numbers to the shoulders and go back to the big sleeve stripe.

Related: their helmet stripes have gotten way too close to each other. Looked better when there was more space between the yellow and white stripes.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I don't see the Redskins much, largely because they're a bad team, but I did watch the end of the game last night. The first thing I noticed was how close together the helmet stripes were. I thought my memory deceived me because I remembered them being farther apart. Good to see I wasn't going crazy.

But yes, other than wearing white at home, the Redskins need to look almost exactly like the Redskins that won three Superbowls. Move the numbers to the shoulders if need be, but only wear white over red and red over white.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

But yes, other than wearing white at home, the Redskins need to look almost exactly like the Redskins that won three Superbowls. Move the numbers to the shoulders if need be, but only wear white over red and red over white.

The Super Bowl Redskins wore white almost exclusively, which frees up burgundy jerseys with gold pants for home games while wearing the traditional uniform on the road.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Super Bowl Redskins wore white almost exclusively, which frees up burgundy jerseys with gold pants for home games while wearing the traditional uniform on the road.

I'd be in favor of that. I prefer the burgundy/gold to the burgundy/white combo. Plus, I like it when team's home and away uniforms have an asymmetry--like the Red Wings white jerseys having red sleeve inserts or the Habs, Rangers, and Sabres white jerseys having shoulder yokes.

redskinscowboys.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

While I hardly think the socks "ruin" this look, as it was ruined from the start, I do think the modern-day Buccaneers' orange socks completely unbalance their uniform and look silly.

panthers-vs-buccaneers-2014-135*750xx547

It might even be worse than if they actually wore pewter socks with pewter pants, like what was shown when they revealed their uniforms.

I love the orange socks and have been begging the Bucs to use them again.

While I hardly think the socks "ruin" this look, as it was ruined from the start, I do think the modern-day Buccaneers' orange socks completely unbalance their uniform and look silly.

It might even be worse than if they actually wore pewter socks with pewter pants, like what was shown when they revealed their uniforms.

Nope, like the original poster said, the whole uniform gets thrown off balance.

Nope, like the original poster said, the whole uniform gets thrown off balance.

Red socks would make that look so much better...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

I know this isn't the concepts section, but my NFL concepts thread was inexplicably locked so I'm posting here. This is how I'd dress them:

Washington-Potomacs_zps823e33fa.png

Use the spear on the helmet and eliminate the white pants and that's good Redskin.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Washington's will eventually have to change their name anyway, so their entire set will get a redo.

Until then, they ought to just take the stripes off the helmet altogether. When they wear their faux throwembacks, it jumps out how much better they look without those helmet stripes.

The socks should have never been brought back in the first place. That's gotta be a Bruce Allen thing because nobody in their right mind, would think those look good. Just wear a solid burgundy sock (like they used to with the white knickers) with the current yellow pants.

And I think the Bucs look better with the pewter socks then the red socks. The red socks (especially with the red jersey) are just too much. I think the Red/Pewter/Red look is a really bad one, with the current uniform choices. Probably their worst.

I'd be in favor of that. I prefer the burgundy/gold to the burgundy/white combo. Plus, I like it when team's home and away uniforms have an asymmetry--like the Red Wings white jerseys having red sleeve inserts or the Habs, Rangers, and Sabres white jerseys having shoulder yokes.

redskinscowboys.jpg

Boy does that uniform look better with striped socks...

Re. Washington name change

Just change the name to Senators and change the logo to a Founding Father in profile. Done.

redskinscowboys.jpg

Boy does that uniform look better with striped socks...

Re. Washington name change

Just change the name to Senators and change the logo to a Founding Father in profile. Done.

Switch it to presidents, and I agree.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

what would look good for the vikings with the purple pants?...white socks with the white jersey sleeve stripe? someone mock that up for science, and lets pass it along to the vikings.

Done.

vikeroad_zpsfe0f4743.png

email sent to the vikings with this pic attached...not that it will get anywhere...but sent anyway

so next year when they change make sure you all thank oldschoolvikings!

Done.

vikeroad_zpsfe0f4743.png

email sent to the vikings with this pic attached...not that it will get anywhere...but sent anyway

so next year when they change make sure you all thank oldschoolvikings!

tumblr_mbxlp9fbd11qcwyxho1_400.gif

Archived