Best and Worst Primary Logos For Each MLB/NFL/NHL/NBA Team According to the Motherboard

pittsburghsports16

Surprises:

• Love for the 80s Orioles circle
  • Love for the 80s Pirates "wanted poster" logo
  • The super-low rating for the current Marlins. I know most people like the old stuff but I thought the opinions on the current were a bit more split.
  • The existence of the low-rated Cardinals logo...I did not know it existed...and it's awful

Unpopular opinions of mine:

• The two Rays logos should be flip-flopped
  • Chief Wahoo is awful

The voters nailed it:

• Astros blue/gold logo
  • Braves "laughing Indian" logo
  • Both Angels "bad" logos
  • Twins "bad" logo
  • Blue Jays "good" and "bad"
  • M's trident/star
  • Brewers Motre Bame (liked the uniforms and the look, particularly after the "M" hat was introduced, but Motre Bame was awful)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I don't know if this has to be said but I'm gonna say it anyways. While this is interesting to look at altogether, let's not forget how many people just don't use the ratings system. I myself have never once used it. If every single person did it I can imagine different results in some areas but admittedly not all.

Things that surprise me:

1. I thought the "tiger crawling through a D" Detroit logo was hated.

2. What's so bad about that Red Sox wordmark?!

3. IMO, the Orioles have probably never had a bad logo. The one voted as their "worst" is one I actually really like.

4. The backdrop's not great, but the blue-and-gold Astros logo without the backdrop (as I recall, the backdrop was only for the 1994 season) was really good and, while it's not quite as good as the current, I do think it's a classic, at least in my eyes.

5. I don't think that "Motre Bame" is markedly worse than the current Brewers logo...or maybe it's just the nifty colors and the cool crossed bats making me think that.

6. How do two nearly-identical Mets logos get ratings 1.5 apart?!

Things that don't surprise me:

1. The Phillies' least popular logo is from that ill-advised period when they tried to get people to call them the "Blue Jays" without ever officially dropping the original name or adding the new one.

2. The Indians', Cubs', and Pirates' least popular logos were all plain letters.

3. The Cubs' current is tops. (It's a darn good one, and I'm a Reds fan.)

4. The Reds' best-loved doesn't surprise me at all. It's a classic for sure.

5. The Twins' awkward (although creative) state logo gets no love.

6. The Rangers' awkward (and decidedly less creative) state logo gets no love.

7. The Mariners' most generic logo gets no love. (Well, one from the most generic set. Personally I think the "M's on a baseball" logo is better than the "S on a baseball" logo. Not sure why.)

I don't know if this has to be said but I'm gonna say it anyways. While this is interesting to look at altogether, let's not forget how many people just don't use the ratings system. I myself have never once used it. If every single person did it I can imagine different results in some areas but admittedly not all.

That was my thought. What's the sample size for some of these?

That was my thought. What's the sample size for some of these?

Logos that are present day or recently active are generally pretty high with close to 1,000 votes. Others that were only around for a few years or were really old would garner a few hundred votes at most.

Here are the rankings for the NFL. Definitely a few headscratchers to be found.yX12sab.jpgWill do the NHL next :)

So the Browns' current is the worst logo in NFL history among current teams? That's silly. It's just backlash against the uniforms---the plain helmet logo is plain, but it isn't bad.

OK, I cannot dispute that the Bengals "B" is awful. But that goofy cartoon? Really? NOot too many other bad calls here. I am surprised a the gap between the two Cardinals logos given how similar they are.

Not that any of this is scientific.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

OK, I cannot dispute that the Bengals "B" is awful. But that goofy cartoon? Really? NOot too many other bad calls here. I am surprised a the gap between the two Cardinals logos given how similar they are.

Not that any of this is scenting.

Felt the same way about the Bengals, although the Bengal head from the late 90s/early 2000s is a 6.2, just 0.1 below the cartoony old Bengal logo. I thought the Bengal head would be the clear winner.

There's going to be a lot of skewed data in there. How many of us actually rate those logos? I suspect there's going to be a heavy skew for new logos, with all sorts of people driven to the page that otherwise wouldn't have been. That's why the Blue Jays are on top and the Browns are so low, they're new, they get more traffic.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

The current Orioles' cartoon bird has a 6.8 rating, which would put it in first place. Are these only primary logos that you're doing? Might want to specify that.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived