NFL Fields - 2023 Wild Card Playoffs

pitt6pack

All fields here, and more, can be found on the Gridiron Fields Database.

Now that I've been working with the Gridiron Uniforms Database to help add fields to the Gridiron Fields Database I'll be starting to do some historical fields, along with the current ones. There are so many past fields to do, and they are time consuming, so at least to start with I'm going to do just fields for big moments in NFL history. So I'm starting with the immaculate reception game. I'll also be skipping the on-field logos portion, to save time and memory space.

December 23, 1972 - AFC Divisional Playoffs

Raiders -7    @    Steelers - 13

WqRxDDU.pngPIT_1972%5Ediv.png

December 31, 1972 - AFC Championship

Dolphins - 21    @    Steelers - 17

aqkBsiC.pngPIT_1972%5Econf.png

As always, if anyone wants templates or the full sized fields (9144 x 4344 pixels) PM me.

• Like 1

Municipal Stadium in Kansas city where the chiefs played before they moved to arrowhead had the opposing team end zones as well as the helmets on the 35 for every chiefs home game....and cleveland had the broncos name in the browns wordmark font for the 1986 afc championship game

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

That second field; why did the Pittsburgh field workers put a Dolphins "wordmark" on the field at Three Rivers? A rather curious decision.

I was curious of this myself

Ditto. Very unusual indeed.

You would think; with Pittsburgh on the doorstep playing for a chance to go to their first ever Super Bowl/World Championship they'd not change the field up.

(I am not sure but I don't think the Steelers ever made it to a NFL Championship Game pre-merger.)

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

You would think; with Pittsburgh on the doorstep playing for a chance to go to their first ever Super Bowl/World Championship they'd not change the field up.

(I am not sure but I don't think the Steelers ever made it to a NFL Championship Game pre-merger.)

The immaculate reception game was the first playoff game the Steelers ever won, and the second they had played in. At this point the Steelers had been a part of the NFL for 40 seasons, so this was the game that identifies a turning point in Steelers history, so I figured that I would start here.

Municipal Stadium in Kansas city where the chiefs played before they moved to arrowhead had the opposing team end zones as well as the helmets on the 35 for every chiefs home game....and cleveland had the broncos name in the browns wordmark font for the 1986 afc championship game

It was an odd thing to do. I remember watching some highlights for the Steelers at the Chiefs not too long ago and they has the Steelers helmet on the fields then. Not sure why they did it, or why they would want to.

Anyways, I don't mind taking suggestions for fields, I just need to make sure that there is enough I can work off of to do the field. I'm thinking next I'll do the 1981 NFC championship (the catch), which launched 49ers dynasty.

• Like 1

Anyways, I don't mind taking suggestions for fields, I just need to make sure that there is enough I can work off of to do the field. I'm thinking next I'll do the 1981 NFC championship (the catch), which launched 49ers dynasty.

Awesome!

I loved the design of the field at "The Stick!" Saw a few games when I was stationed at "old" Fort Ord back in the Early 80's!

The Lions also had the visitor logo/name in the "opposing" end zone in the late 60's early 70's at Tiger Stadium. That practice ended when they moved to the Pontiac Silverdome (may she Rest in Peace, or in this case "she" is rusting in pieces!)

Edited by SFCOM1
  • Like 1

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

"The Catch"

January 10, 1982 - NFC Championship

Cowboys - 27 @ 49ers - 28

GlLREOC.png

I'm not sure which field I'm going to do next. It depends on the resources I can find, because that's always the hardest part. I"ll probably have some updates to do for Super Bowl I over the next few days, since NFL Network is replaying the full game tomorrow night, so I'll get some good video and footage to pull from. after that though I'll try to do the Ice Bowl, Habfan77's suggestion, but I'll need to see what I can find. The further back games are, the harder it is to find quality images and video, especially ones that cover the whole field. For future requests any links to pictures or videos would be appreciated.

• Like 1

"The Drive"

January 11, 1987 - AFC Championship

Broncos - 23 @ Browns - 20 OT

gSuXLzf.png

Nice job on the 49ers' field.

Found a clip of the Chargers vs. Giants snowball fight from December 23, 1995.

From 2:11 to about 2:20 is a panoramic shot of the field with Bob Sheppard addressing the crowd.

I've never actually heard of this game before, it was before my time I guess. I'll have to do some more research to figure out what the midfield logo is, but this is a good reference because the Giants had this field design for quite a while.

There's a full game of the 1988 NFC Divisional Playoff (Eagles vs. Bears) a.k.a. the Fog Bowl showing on YouTube. Something that can be a pretty good reference for this thread.

Good reference. Full games are the best because I can see every part of the field at some point (maybe not during parts of this game). Maybe I can give this one a shot next. Denver's field for the 1987 AFC Championship looks pretty good too, so I might do that one. I feel like I've put the Browns fans through enough pain for one day though so I may hold off.

Edited by pitt6pack

"The Drive"

Broncos - 23 @ Browns - 20

6K7uOVx.png

Found a clip of the Chargers vs. Giants snowball fight from December 23, 1995.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI7VZvotyh0

From 2:11 to about 2:20 is a panoramic shot of the field with Bob Sheppard addressing the crowd.

I've never actually heard of this game before, it was before my time I guess. I'll have to do some more research to figure out what the midfield logo is, but this is a good reference because the Giants had this field design for quite a while.

There's a full game of the 1988 NFC Divisional Playoff (Eagles vs. Bears) a.k.a. the Fog Bowl showing on YouTube. Something that can be a pretty good reference for this thread.

Good reference. Full games are the best because I can see every part of the field at some point (maybe not during parts of this game). Maybe I can give this one a shot next. Denver's field for the 1987 AFC Championship looks pretty good too, so I might do that one. I feel like I've put the Browns fans through enough pain for one day though so I may hold off.

The midfield logo at the Meadowlands at the time of the snowball game was basically a red circle with a white silhouette of New Jersey, encircled by "New Jersey Meadowlands" in white Helvetica capitals.

Here is an extreme closeup...

5851480292_b61625ec69_o.png

• Like 1

January 17, 1999 - AFC Championship

Jets - 10 @ Broncos - 23

B84AgsR.png

I found a video for this full game, and the field is similar to the Broncos current field so I just did it real quick. It would be nice to see the Broncos use orange endzones like these in a return to the Super Bowl.

"The Drive"
Broncos - 23 @ Browns - 20

6K7uOVx.png

Found a clip of the Chargers vs. Giants snowball fight from December 23, 1995.

The midfield logo at the Meadowlands at the time of the snowball game was basically a red circle with a white silhouette of New Jersey, encircled by "New Jersey Meadowlands" in white Helvetica capitals.

Here is an extreme closeup...

5851480292_b61625ec69_o.png

Awesome, thanks. I haven't been able to find a digital version of the logo so I'll have to remake it at some point.

Minnesota Vikings @ Los Angeles Rams in the 1977 NFC Divisional Playoffs. They didn’t get the normally balmy weather one might expect in California. Instead it poured, which meant the field was wrecked — hence the game earning the name the “Mud Bowl.” Minnesota Vikings running back Chuck Foreman ran for 101 yards and Minnesota beat the Rams 14-7.

Here's the full game

yalSCLI.png
spacer.png
JnGTN1H.png

The immaculate reception game was the first playoff game the Steelers ever won, and the second they had played in. At this point the Steelers had been a part of the NFL for 40 seasons, so this was the game that identifies a turning point in Steelers history, so I figured that I would start here.

It was an odd thing to do. I remember watching some highlights for the Steelers at the Chiefs not too long ago and they has the Steelers helmet on the fields then. Not sure why they did it, or why they would want to.

Found the full '93 AFC Wild Card Game between the Steelers and the Chiefs when Arrowhead used to have AstroTurf. I'm sure it brings up bad memories for pitt6pack but great memories for me. Hope it's good enough for you to make it if you want.

0JZafhY.gif7YcM9pl.gif

qsNLfmj.gifbIW6GIL.gif

"The Mud Bowl"

December 26, 1977 - NFC Divisional Playoffs

Vikings - 14 @ Rams - 7

UgfyVpA.png

Minnesota Vikings @ Los Angeles Rams in the 1977 NFC Divisional Playoffs. They didn’t get the normally balmy weather one might expect in California. Instead it poured, which meant the field was wrecked — hence the game earning the name the “Mud Bowl.” Minnesota Vikings running back Chuck Foreman ran for 101 yards and Minnesota beat the Rams 14-7.

Here's the full game

It would have been hard for me to replicate all that mud using MS Paint, so this is as the field looked at the time they painted it. I did the same thing with the Super Bowl IV field.

Found the full '93 AFC Wild Card Game between the Steelers and the Chiefs when Arrowhead used to have AstroTurf. I'm sure it brings up bad memories for pitt6pack but great memories for me. Hope it's good enough for you to make it if you want.

The Chiefs always had good looking fields back in the day. If I'm not mistaken the head of the grounds crew in arrowhead also did many of the Super Bowl fields. I'll see what I can do. This game doesn't bring up any memories for me because I hadn't been born yet, so no pain, but it is a nice field.

"The Mud Bowl"

December 26, 1977 - NFC Divisional Playoffs

Vikings - 14 @ Rams - 7

UgfyVpA.png

Here's the full game

It would have been hard for me to replicate all that mud using MS Paint, so this is as the field looked at the time they painted it. I did the same thing with the Super Bowl IV field.

The Chiefs always had good looking fields back in the day. If I'm not mistaken the head of the grounds crew in arrowhead also did many of the Super Bowl fields. I'll see what I can do. This game doesn't bring up any memories for me because I hadn't been born yet, so no pain, but it is a nice field.

I was born in Oct. of 1991 so no memories for me either but still was a great underrated game. The head of the grounds crew in Arrowhead Stadium was George Toma. He used to do a lot of the Super Bowl field after the Chiefs and Royals seasons were over. A little fun fact, On Super Bowl V, the pylons for the game were little footballs that said, "Go Chiefs".

0JZafhY.gif7YcM9pl.gif

qsNLfmj.gifbIW6GIL.gif