NHL 2017-18

JJ Anderes

This is a series for the 2017-18 season when Adidas takes over the NHL. I've removed the all of the adidas marks from the jersey, as they look much cleaner without them. Anyway, here's the first team...

WASHINGTON CAPITALS

While the Capitals have had some decent designs in the past, none of them have been perfect. Here's my review for each of them...

All photos from nhluniforms.com

'74-'95: Nothing positive about this set.

Capitals01.png.4fe57f697fd0b226b5ff61225

'95-'07: While the color scheme and striping pattern sucked, the eagle logo was amazing.

Capitals16.png.b300ee1e71caa938d5ea29c01

'07-present: The best color scheme by far, and the shoulder logo was pretty sick, but the striping and chest logo are pretty bad.

Capitals24.png.e682abe09ad2dcc147ceff3fa

MY DESIGN:

wcnew.thumb.png.7411559ca57062b08af825d8

C&C is appreciated.

Be the first to comment and pick the next team for me to design.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I completely disagree with a large part of your assessments, your jerseys are simply beautiful. Only 2 things: I think the font choices could be stronger (something thicker?) and it might be nice if all 3 stars were the same size. Amazing work though!

Pretty dang sweet! The decision to use the Weagle Logo is excellent and I even like the number font. I can see inspiration from previous eras incorporated into this new set and it still stands as something new. That is something I really admire, coming up with something new, but retaining some elements from the team history. I would have liked to see the Washington Monument ''W'' logo, but it still works without it. I do think that it could have added to your set.

WELL DONE!

Now do the Avalanche next.

COLORADO AVALANCHE:

It's safe to say that the Avs are the worst dressed team in the league. However, there are a few things from their history, and that's the basis for my new designs.

1. Their primary logo

64-3.png.4841553abade0497df3a7a61c39576c

2. Their Rockies Copy, 3. The Navy-Burgundy Color Scheme

Avalanche14-2.png.821f88f2dc46a35b4f24b7

3. The Mountain hem pattern.

Avalanche01.png.7ee16e5990cf95717b8a474d

MY DESIGN

canew.thumb.png.0ece547376e5e1b9c7ffb5e0

C&C is appreciated.

Be the first to comment and pick the next team I do. And throw in a few player name/number suggestions while you're at it.

I absolutely love the colors and the bottom sections of the jerseys rock...no pun intended, but I'm not a fan of the collar and shoulders. A bit too blocky for my liking. White jersey is my favorite of the three, colors just look the best on it.

OK, so I was the first to respond so I'd like to see the Flyers next and you could use the last name Hawkes, and the number 77:)

10 hours ago, JJ Anderes said:

COLORADO AVALANCHE:

It's safe to say that the Avs are the worst dressed team in the league. However, there are a few things from their history, and that's the basis for my new designs.

1. Their primary logo

64-3.png.4841553abade0497df3a7a61c39576c

2. Their Rockies Copy, 3. The Navy-Burgundy Color Scheme

Avalanche14-2.png.821f88f2dc46a35b4f24b7

3. The Mountain hem pattern.

Avalanche01.png.7ee16e5990cf95717b8a474d

MY DESIGN

canew.thumb.png.0ece547376e5e1b9c7ffb5e0

C&C is appreciated.

Be the first to comment and pick the next team I do. And throw in a few player name/number suggestions while you're at it.

Hmmm... It is a very solid set, and I like that you tried something new.

That being said, I don't think the burgundy works as well with the navy as it does with the steel blue. With the steel blue they have been using, there is a bit of a contrast between the colors, blue being lighter, burgundy being darker. The two compliment each other pretty well.  With the navy, it's just dark and dark. It gives it a somewhat drab feeling.  If navy is used, it would look better if the burgundy was brighter, or just keep the darker burgundy and use the lighter blue. The two colors just shouldn't be the same value. I think you did a better job breaking up the burgundy and navy from each other than the Avs are doing right now, but if seen on TV, the home jersey especially would still look overly dark and the colors would probably blend together.

Now I understand why you would remove black from the spectrum, and I am happy that you didn't remove the silver too, but making the puck on the main logo silver just doesn't look right.

One more thing, Burgundy is, and always has been the Avs primary color. Now I know that you made the alternate jersey burgundy, but I think it still belongs to the primary set. Substituting navy as the main color isn't the same.

Design-wise, it's near perfect, although it would be nice if the shoulder yoke on the home jersey matched the road and alternate by including the smaller stripes.

Overall, very good, but it could be even better.

Capitals: As ujju2 said, I disagree with some of your assessments.  However, the jerseys are top notch.  One of the best Caps concepts I've seen in a while.  However, making the three stars the same size would make it perfect.

Avs: I absolutely love the idea.  Personally, I'd prefer to see a burgundy home and a navy alternate, but that's just me; the navy home and burgundy alt work just fine.  My only nitpick is that I think the numbers should either be thickened or have an outline.  

spacer.png

Avs are good, just need an outline on the numbers, and maybe and Arched nameplate... 

Also I'd like to request the Wild next!

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

No, not really. There are more than enough differences between the two. Considering that it isn't a super unusual design for the Avs. I could even say that yours in turn looks like it was inspired by some other Avs concepts I've seen. You're certainly not the first one to use that specific design for Colorado. Also don't hijack another's concept to present your own.

Hey guys, sorry for the long wait I've been pretty busy with the Pairs Competition over at HJC.

PHILADELPHIA FLYERS

So I've read your comments and realized that you seem to disagree with my view of hockey aesthetics.

DEAL WITH IT!

Flyers34-2.png.70fd04530a38bb5581b5efcef

I'm one of the few people on this website that hates the Flyers uniforms. Don't get me wrong, the colors and logo are amazing. But every time I look at the uniforms, this is the image I get.

ConewithCollar.gif.596cfc10e03d076c481cc

At this rate, you might as well name the team the Philadelphia Traffic Jams. It fits the city better than Flyers does.

MY DESIGN:

FLYERS.thumb.png.2a6042e0076180167f02548

Yes, I did not create a third jersey. I won't do this very often for the series, but I'm proposing that a jersey that the Flyers previously used should return.

12889.jpg.407708314610fc2d703abc83851c27

Hopefully you guys agree with THIS assessment.

C&C is appreciated.

Sharks and Wild will be coming soon.

13 hours ago, JJ Anderes said:

Hey guys, sorry for the long wait I've been pretty busy with the Pairs Competition over at HJC.

PHILADELPHIA FLYERS

So I've read your comments and realized that you seem to disagree with my view of hockey aesthetics.

DEAL WITH IT!

Flyers34-2.png.70fd04530a38bb5581b5efcef

I'm one of the few people on this website that hates the Flyers uniforms. Don't get me wrong, the colors and logo are amazing. But every time I look at the uniforms, this is the image I get.

ConewithCollar.gif.596cfc10e03d076c481cc

At this rate, you might as well name the team the Philadelphia Traffic Jams. It fits the city better than Flyers does.

MY DESIGN:

FLYERS.thumb.png.2a6042e0076180167f02548

Yes, I did not create a third jersey. I won't do this very often for the series, but I'm proposing that a jersey that the Flyers previously used should return.

12889.jpg.407708314610fc2d703abc83851c27

Hopefully you guys agree with THIS assessment.

C&C is appreciated.

Sharks and Wild will be coming soon.

I like it, and I like it a lot. The number font is a bit odd for such a classic team, but in this case, I think it actually works. It would be cool to see that 3rd jersey return, but it would have been nice to see your version of it, and not just a photo. You could have tweaked it here and there while retaining the overall design. The names on the back seems a bit small and thin, but that's only a minor thing.

That being said, if you think everyone is going to share your view of aesthetics then your nuts! If you are going to get annoyed every time someone disagrees with you, the DON'T WRITE ''C&C APPRECIATED''! While I have enjoyed your series so far, it's not cool to think that you're above criticism. ''Hopefully you  guys agree with THIS assessment'' comes off as pretty snyde. Your work does deserve praise, but if you think that's all we're going to give you then you have another thing coming. The fact is, we don't all share the same view of aesthetics, DEAL WITH IT! I do my best to give what I appreciate about a concept and show the designer what he did right, but also things that need worked on, or that could look better. If you can't accept that, then don't post your concepts.

I look forward to your next team redesign.

3 hours ago, Canucklehead800 said:

I like it, and I like it a lot. The number font is a bit odd for such a classic team, but in this case, I think it actually works. It would be cool to see that 3rd jersey return, but it would have been nice to see your version of it, and not just a photo. You could have tweaked it here and there while retaining the overall design. The names on the back seems a bit small and thin, but that's only a minor thing.

That being said, if you think everyone is going to share your view of aesthetics then your nuts! If you are going to get annoyed every time someone disagrees with you, the DON'T WRITE ''C&C APPRECIATED''! While I have enjoyed your series so far, it's not cool to think that you're above criticism. ''Hopefully you  guys agree with THIS assessment'' comes off as pretty snyde. Your work does deserve praise, but if you think that's all we're going to give you then you have another thing coming. The fact is, we don't all share the same view of aesthetics, DEAL WITH IT! I do my best to give what I appreciate about a concept and show the designer what he did right, but also things that need worked on, or that could look better. If you can't accept that, then don't post your concepts.

I look forward to your next team redesign.

That stuff was meant as a joke, and I completely understand what you're saying. Sorry it came off bitter, I meant it as a joke and I wouldn't be posting on this website if I didn't want any ideas or opinions.

• 1 month later...

Great work so far. Caps and Avs are perfect in my opinion. I actually like the font for the Caps. The Flyers are tough. As a Flyers fan, I'm partial to their sets now. Clean, classic and timeless. However, I do feel your set above could work. The only gripe I have is the font choice. It's too Western-ish for my taste. A basic or modern block type font would make this perfect. That being said, if that change is made, you have 3/3 sets of jerseys that I would go buy. Keep up the amazing work.

Sorry to have stopped the series for so long, I'll try to do a better job of not doing that in the future...

LOS ANGELES KINGS:

The Kings have had decent uniforms in their past, they're one of the teams that can pull off a black and gray uniform.

Kings16.png

Kings36-2.png

The Gretzky-era uniforms are my favorite...

MY DESIGN:

kings1718.png

The primary jerseys are basically a mix of the two sets shown above. However, I decided to go with a bolder, more modern look for the alternate. I'm not 100% sure about it, especially the new color scheme, so if there's anything you would change please let me know.

Be the first to comment and pick the next team.

After team #5 comes a bonus concept...

Archived