The Sports Media Thread

7 minutes ago, Digby said:

Has NBC always used Roundball Rock during the Olympic basketball events or are they just being cheeky this year with recent news?

They've used it in numerous Olympics. Not sure if "every" one, after it was licensed out to other networks, but they did use it for most Olympics after the NBA left NBC.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Sad day for those who eat up this type of "sports journalism"

Pretty good run for someone who brought exactly nothing to the table.

• Like 7

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

1 minute ago, infrared41 said:

Pretty good run for someone who brought exactly nothing to the table.

True. Made a career out of only talking about Tebow, LeBron and the Cowboys.

6uXNWAo.png

2 hours ago, Cujo said:

$21M/per to do 3 weeks of March Madness and what else?

Get him to do hockey lol. The absolute madness that would ensue when he has no clue what he's talking about would be awesome to watch. I know that's highly impractical and an idiotic idea but I'm just spit balling here

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, YelichGraphics said:

Get him to do hockey lol. The absolute madness that would ensue when he has no clue what he's talking about would be awesome to watch. I know that's highly impractical and an idiotic idea but I'm just spit balling here

Idiotic maybe, impractical not at all. Turner has already tried to shoehorn him into news and politics shows, seems even more likely he'll just become a mascot figure that drops in on other sports. 

21 minutes ago, Digby said:

Idiotic maybe, impractical not at all. Turner has already tried to shoehorn him into news and politics shows, seems even more likely he'll just become a mascot figure that drops in on other sports. 

I can't even being to imagine the conversations Biz, Wayne, and Barkley would have on air.

On 7/28/2024 at 9:00 AM, Gary said:

The first couple years of The Best Damn Sports Show Period was pretty good. I think that’s the first time I ever seen Stephen A. Smith on television.

I feel like I can't remember seeing any actual episodes of The Best Damn Sports Show Period, but it felt like the Best Damn Top 50s would play on a loop during the day. Regardless of the topic it seemed like every top 50 ended with the immaculate reception or "the band is on the field".

22 hours ago, YelichGraphics said:

He's actually made a lot of hockey appearances over the years, even before TNT got the rights to the NHL. His hockey knowledge isn't as bad as you'd expect, as he's been a legit fan of the sport ever since he played in Philly, and is close friends with guys like Jon Cooper and Rick Tocchet.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

"Naturally, I can't pay you much severance because I'm strapped for cash."

[Mike Greenberg's personal sauna falls through the ceiling]

"As you can see, the old place is falling apart."

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

WEEI out of Boston making some much needed changes to their radio programming.

Now that Adam Jones is out of the afternoon show, it might now be bearable to listen to. The "contrarian Boston fan" character he plays just to get phone calls into the show was hard to listen to. Now he gets to go to the late morning/early afternoon show where no one can listen to him. Now if we can only somehow get Greg Hill off the morning show...

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Yeah, the Score (sister station to EEI in the doomed Audacy family) is also changing their lineup because Danny Parkins is replacing Skip Bayless at FS1; have fun with that, America, or at least whatever weird part of America watches FS1 all day.

I feel like sports radio as a format, or at least as we knew it, is kind of winding down. You mentioned goading people into calling in, but I don't think that's really an aspect of sports radio anymore, not like it was when each station had its own little supporting cast of callers who played characters and forced the hosts to ad-lib. People don't want to make telephone calls and producers don't want to take 'em. Here's Mike Florio for a f-cking hour. 

17 minutes ago, The_Admiral said:

I feel like sports radio as a format, or at least as we knew it, is kind of winding down. You mentioned goading people into calling in, but I don't think that's really an aspect of sports radio anymore, not like it was when each station had its own little supporting cast of callers who played characters and forced the hosts to ad-lib. People don't want to make telephone calls and producers don't want to take 'em. Here's Mike Florio for a f-cking hour. 

As far as a devoted group of callers, there is still a small smattering of that in the Boston sports radio scene. Not many, but each show kind of has their routine callers. As stated, though, the real problem are the hosts/personalities. Adam Jones is by far the worst, and I truly do think he just wants people engaged with the product, whether they like it or they don't. He'll routinely drop hot takes just to rile up the fan base. I don't think anybody in their right mind, Boston or otherwise, would question if Patrice Bergeron was a good hockey player, but Jones does.

Greg Hill is also another terrible personality here. Nearly every morning his "lead" is something complaining about the younger generation. He'll usually berate them for something like not wanting to work anymore, which is a funny to say when your job is to talk about sports for four hours each morning and you get paid seven figures to do it because you're part of the Old Boys Club of Radio. Conversely, he'll spend an ample amount of time seeking praise and acknowledgement from the younger generation as well. The man spent a solid two weeks earlier in the summer making nothing but "Hawk Tuah" references.

The other hosts are tolerable, though most sound like they just listened to a bunch of mid-2000s recordings of the Opie & Anthony Show are trying to be shock jocks like them, but within the perimeters of Audacy's rules. 

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

2 hours ago, Brass said:

The other hosts are tolerable, though most sound like they just listened to a bunch of mid-2000s recordings of the Opie & Anthony Show are trying to be shock jocks like them, but within the perimeters of Audacy's rules. 

Absolute worst possible strategy, even worse than doing the Le Batard/Deadspin shtick. You can't beat Barstool with one hand tied behind your back. 

I don't think we've heard anything about the Utah Hockey Club's announce teams yet, only that they'll have their TV on an over-the-air Scripps station and their radio will be, well, probably KSL to avoid conflicts with the Jazz. Haven't said that yet either. 

I'm guessing that the Coyotes broadcasters are staying back and Smith is starting fresh. I can't imagine Tyson Nash bringing his act north.