What Adidas' CFL takeover tells us about NHL 2017-18

ldconcepts

2nd-tier leagues are foreign leagues at the highest level.  Japanese baseball is 2nd-tier.  European basketball is 2nd-tier.  USA's MLS is 2nd-tier.  Minor league teams are lower leagues within a major league's region.  

Minor leagues don't require affilliation; most minor league teams are affiliated, but it's not required.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

5 hours ago, WSU151 said:

2nd-tier leagues are foreign leagues at the highest level.  Japanese baseball is 2nd-tier.  European basketball is 2nd-tier.  USA's MLS is 2nd-tier.  Minor league teams are lower leagues within a major league's region.  

Minor leagues don't require affilliation; most minor league teams are affiliated, but it's not required.  

This is more or less what I agree with with the caveat that I initially support the milb stance that unaffiliated teams are in fact independent or semi-pro, thus reserving the term Minors or Minor Leagues as affiliated clubs. Granted this is baseball only, hockey or soccer can be different.

11 hours ago, omnivore said:

Newsflash: America is not the center of the universe. A domestic league in another country isn't "minor league" because it doesn't draw millions of American eyeballs. 

Newsflash: NFL games average roughly 20 million viewers per game (american that's roughly 40 million American eyeballs).. CFL games average about 600,000 viewers.. Regardless of whose eyeballs the league draws, that's pretty minor.. Only about 3% of what the NFL gets..

EPIC THREAD TWIST:

All us NHL Uniform/Logo maniacs are currently freaking out over the upcoming Adidas redesign, seeing as how Reebok butchered their redesign. However, Adidas recently redesigned the CFL, so let's see what that'll tell us and what we can expect.

First of all, Adidas used the same collar on both the CFL's unis and the World Cup of Hockey sweaters:

COLLAR_zpsh6kw15jd.png

Even though we're all scared of the three stripes on NHL jerseys, since they are there on the WCH sweaters. BUT, there aren't any Adidas stripes on the new CFL kits,  

New CFL Adidas Uniforms

And they're a minor league. The NHL is the number one hockey league in the world, and the CFL isn't number one in the football world, so why would they put any on NHL uniforms? The World Cup is a money-grabbing event, so anything goes. 

There are ads on the CFL ones, but they've always been there. 

fbo_tiger-cats_blue_blombers_20140927_21

Plus, Gary Bettman said that the NHL wouldn't put ads for the first:

There have been some suggesting that this deal means it's inevitable that there'll be advertising on uniforms and that's just not true.

We are not currently considering putting advertising on NHL jerseys. There have been no discussions formally or informally with anybody about doing that.

I think everybody agrees that the history, tradition and respect that goes with NHL sweaters is something that we and Adidas are very respectful of. So reinventing isn't something that we're about to embark upon.

If there are better fabrics that are more comfortable and help performance, that's one thing. But we happen to like our jerseys a lot and we think our fans do as well.

Adidas didn't redesign dramatically every single CFL uniform; they just tweaked for the better, and didn't introduce templated messes. (Anyway, I'm sure Adidas will redesign those Reebok templated messes, right, @MEANS?)

What do you think? Agree, disagree? Add what you think I've missed.

Wow, what a twist to put in a topic called "Is the CFL a minor league?"

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

I think logic needs to come into play here. Adidas owns Reebok so the transition is easy. All they are going to do is remove the Reebok script from the jerseys and slap on the Adidas script. The templates will stay the same. If it ain't broke, don't fix it I think will be the plan of attack with Adidas. The only place we will most likely see the 3 strips will be on the trainer's jackets and pants and the practice jerseys. Plus there are some teams that are changing for the better already, Toronto and Pittsburgh being the best example, and there is no chance they are going to switch uniforms in a year because of a name change. I'm pretty sure they have already talked to Adidas reps and told them that there will be no change. Teams like the Devils, Rangers, Habs, Red Wings and others who have made changes recently or who's fans don't want the change are not going to make changes (or at least any drastic ones). I think I've said this before but I spoke to a guy at Jersey City and he said no real drastic changes are happening and the templates are staying with the Adidas change over.

4 hours ago, kiwi_canadian said:

I think logic needs to come into play here. Adidas owns Reebok so the transition is easy. All they are going to do is remove the Reebok script from the jerseys and slap on the Adidas script. The templates will stay the same. If it ain't broke, don't fix it I think will be the plan of attack with Adidas. The only place we will most likely see the 3 strips will be on the trainer's jackets and pants and the practice jerseys. Plus there are some teams that are changing for the better already, Toronto and Pittsburgh being the best example, and there is no chance they are going to switch uniforms in a year because of a name change. I'm pretty sure they have already talked to Adidas reps and told them that there will be no change. Teams like the Devils, Rangers, Habs, Red Wings and others who have made changes recently or who's fans don't want the change are not going to make changes (or at least any drastic ones). I think I've said this before but I spoke to a guy at Jersey City and he said no real drastic changes are happening and the templates are staying with the Adidas change over.

Honestly, this. 

Plus we will see the sportswear switch over to three stripes (polos and the like), which is what I'm looking forward to. 

On ice? Yeah, nothing.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

6 hours ago, DiePerske said:

Honestly, this. 

Plus we will see the sportswear switch over to three stripes (polos and the like), which is what I'm looking forward to. 

On ice? Yeah, nothing.

I might add on a speculation side we might see the 3 stripes on the All-Star jerseys but other than that, like I said above, we won't see the 3 stripes on anything on ice for players during games... That's just a guess on my part though.

16 minutes ago, kiwi_canadian said:

I might add on a speculation side we might see the 3 stripes on the All-Star jerseys but other than that, like I said above, we won't see the 3 stripes on anything on ice for players during games... That's just a guess on my part though.

I'm honestly expecting that, and i would honestly be fine with it. ASG are supposed to be fun, and a time for experiments.

I'm also of the opinion that the three stripesare much preferable than the reebox. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Archived