Padres to D.C. Uniforms (1973)

San Diego

So, as some of you may know the San Diego Padres were so close to moving to Washington DC that uniforms were made, Topps cards were made, etc. Let me just say thank god this didn't happen. Here is a picture of this horrible, terrible uniforms. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/06/16/the-time-the-san-diego-padres-were-this-close-to-moving-to-d-c/

Screenshot_2016-06-18-10-43-43.png

What's so terrible about them? They could use a number on the front but other than that they look like the original Washington Nationals uniforms which were pretty good.

Vom87NT.jpg?1

^those

And that W* logo is a huge improvement over what the Nationals have now. 

BTW Washington Senators is a much better name than Washington Nationals. 

1 hour ago, Ark said:

What's so terrible about them? They could use a number on the front but other than that they look like the original Washington Nationals uniforms which were pretty good.

Vom87NT.jpg?1

^those

I disagree about the 'W' logo - I love the one they have now, Walgreens resemblance or not. That said, I agree that the almost-were uniforms in the original picture are not that bad.

9 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

I had never known of that almost -move to DC. Would they have become the third incarnation of the Senators (first one in the NL), or, due to the different league, something else entirely?

If I remember, they would have been known as the Stars.

I wish I was a better graphic designer, because I would love to see someone tackle an alternate reality concept of how the Washington Stars identity would develop over time.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

2 hours ago, Ark said:

The blue uniforms just look like many others from the 70's.  IMO, block letters on caps/helmets, particularly Ms and Ws, look so dated and boring.  I don't understand the unpopularity today of the Nats'curly W, but then again, I grew up watching baseball when the Senators 2.0 wore a very similar cap logo, so it looks traditional to me.

I would also respectfully disagree on the name Nationals.  Given that the Senators 1.0 were sometimes called the Nationals, and that the latest Washington team plays in the National League, the current name seems appropriate.  IMO, the Nats have some nice ties to D.C. Baseball Past blended with the uniqueness of the current franchise.  I also like the Nats' current uniforms.  If they would add an alternate home jersey with a scripted Nationals wordmark, the Nats would be close to perfect.

Those are just my opinions ... that and a $1.50 might buy you the proverbial Cup of Coffee. ☕️?☕️?☕️?☕️

P.S. As a NY Mets fan, I'd like to see the Nats endure a losing streak real soon. ?

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

On 6/18/2016 at 0:38 PM, ChicagoOakland said:

I wish I was a better graphic designer, because I would love to see someone tackle an alternate reality concept of how the Washington Stars identity would develop over time.

Ironically enough, Washington, D.C. had a newspaper called "The Washington Star" that lasted until 1981, when its assets were bought out by the Post.  Back then, I don't know how well that name would have went over with the region, considering the newspaper was still around at the time.  I think MLB (or the National League, as both leagues were still operating independently within MLB) would made them go with the Senators/Nationals name, or perhaps something else.

On 6/18/2016 at 3:38 PM, ChicagoOakland said:

The article linked by the OP seemed to indicate that they'd have been in fact called the "Nationals" due to the Senators previously being called Senators/Nationals interchangeably historically but the Senators now having had a bad connotation with locals after two failed attempts previously. 

Archived