Most Cursed City in Sports

kroywen

13 hours ago, 2001mark said:

I mean, you know it's something when something is cliche, but that's something.  Not 1 but 2 teams leaving town for Canada in the NHL?  That doesn't even compute.

Regardless the Chargers situation, I still say Buffalo.  It wasn't like the NFL utterly stole the team from SD like the Colts or Browns or whatever.  

Padres, Chargers, & Clipper lore doesn't quite match Bills & Sabres.  Falcons fans this week can even be grateful for no wide ride scenario, nor a Stanley Cup clinching goal which was called back all f'n season long lols.

Not the feeling locally. Locally the feeling is the NFL and Dean Spanos did exactly that, stole the team right out of town. And worse than the Colts or Browns situations, at least those two team were actually wanted by their new cities, Indy and Baltimore respectively. Los Angeles doesn't even want the Chargers. The collective reactiong was "meh", just as it was for the Clippers 35 years ago. We get our guts ripped out, and the other guy doesn't even give a rats backside. At least the Colts, Browns, Thrashers, etc... were wanted where they landed. San Diego is the one city in the last 60 years I can recall that has had not one, but two, teams spirited away to a rival market, and that rival market didn't even want what was being given to them. Talk about a kick in the proverbial balls.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Not the feeling locally. Locally the feeling is the NFL and Dean Spanos did exactly that, stole the team right out of town. And worse than the Colts or Browns situations, at least those two team were actually wanted by their new cities, Indy and Baltimore respectively. Los Angeles doesn't even want the Chargers. The collective reactiong was "meh", just as it was for the Clippers 35 years ago. We get our guts ripped out, and the other guy doesn't even give a rats backside. At least the Colts, Browns, Thrashers, etc... were wanted where they landed. San Diego is the one city in the last 60 years I can recall that has had not one, but two, teams spirited away to a rival market, and that rival market didn't even want what was being given to them. Talk about a kick in the proverbial balls.

To be fair, the Chargers would still be in San Diego had the taxpayers...most of whom are presumed Chargers fans....voted in favor in helping fund a stadium.  Atlanta lost both their teams because their owners that either needed the money so badly that they sold it to the highest bidder, no matter what happens to them....or an ownership group that wasn't selling the team to anyone that had plans on keeping them in the one NHL-sized arena the city has.  This past year, San Diego voters said they're fine with risking losing the team.  Now it sucks losing a team, but the voters/fans did at least have a chance to do something to keep them in town.

1 hour ago, HedleyLamarr said:

To be fair, the Chargers would still be in San Diego had the taxpayers...most of whom are presumed Chargers fans....voted in favor in helping fund a stadium.  Atlanta lost both their teams because their owners that either needed the money so badly that they sold it to the highest bidder, no matter what happens to them....or an ownership group that wasn't selling the team to anyone that had plans on keeping them in the one NHL-sized arena the city has.  This past year, San Diego voters said they're fine with risking losing the team.  Now it sucks losing a team, but the voters/fans did at least have a chance to do something to keep them in town.

Well most voters aren't football fans, so that's not a good presumption. Nor did all of San Diego County get to vote on the horribly flawed plan that was offered, only the city proper did, so the majority of the region was left out of any vote. And the taxpayers, through their elected officials, actually had an offer for $350 million in public money on the table after the vote failed when the Chargers walked out of town. This is California, you're not going to get the kind of funding most teams get, $350 is a solid amount for a California city to offer. But similar to the two Atlanta teams you mention, Spanos left because he's comparatively broke for an NFL owner. He's hard up for cash and could increase the value of his franchise in LA.

And it bears mentioning again, the plan the Chargers presented was not for a stadium. It was for a convoluted "Convadium" that blocked the city's ability to expand our convention center as needed, was not backed by any power broker in the city of any note, and would have required 66% of the city vote to pass. 66% wouldn't vote to raise taxes to cure cancer. But I see the NFL's whitewashing of the issue nationally is paying off as people are buying the whole, "San Diego had its shot" storyline. No viable plan with a viable chance to pass was ever offered by the Chargers, nor was it offered to all San Diego voters.

1 hour ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Measure C didn't fail because San Diegans didn't want to keep the Chargers. It failed because it was a sham of a deal pushed by a deeply unpopular ownership group without any input from anyone else. It existed only as a lame excuse for the Spanos family to hide behind on their way out of town.

http://chasingthedamncat.blogspot.com/2017/01/the-chargers-fraudulent-path-to-los.html

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Also, there's no reason cities should be stuck paying for new stadiums/arenas/ballparks. If the ownership and the city reach a "mutually beneficial" agreement, that's one thing, but this highway robbery tactic of "pay my mortgage, or find someone who will" is a load of horse :censored:

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

1 hour ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Also, there's no reason cities should be stuck paying for new stadiums/arenas/ballparks. If the ownership and the city reach a "mutually beneficial" agreement, that's one thing, but this highway robbery tactic of "pay my mortgage, or find someone who will" is a load of horse :censored:

Ideally, yes, but when you have other cities that are willing to pay up....it would behoove you to pay up if you want to stay in the club.  It's the price of doing business.  Call it a crap plan all you want....San Diego got one of the few chances most cities don't get, and the voters said they're cool with the prospect of losing their team.  And now San Diego is out of the club....if they're serious about getting back in, they'll find ways to scratch up enough cash to woo the Raiders.  (But this is a discussion better served in another thread.)

While they do have one, I find it's hard to go against Atlanta.  Buffalo did get four cracks at the Super Bowl, but they were lousy in three of them and a missed FG (a regular occurrence for an NFL game to end) in the other.  And, still needed to score a goal and win a Game 7 in Dallas.  The Chargers deserve whatever fate they get dealt because they fired their coach after a 14-2 season.  And both cities don't have year-round games going on, nor do they have competitive college teams that had added to their misery.

Atlanta has had:

-a 25-point lead blown in the Super Bowl (in perspective...only 5 games in NFL history have seen teams blow a 25-point lead).

-their other SB appearance be marred by a safety that got busted for soliciting a prostitute the night before.

-their first real star QB get busted for dogfighting.

-took some 45 years before the Falcons had consecutive winning seasons.

-"Outfield Fly Rule"

-Jim Leyritz

-couldn't win a playoff game when the opposing pitcher couldn't throw a strike.

-something like 10 different teams celebrate on the mound at Turner Field, whether it's a playoff victory or clinching some sort of championship.

-lost two hockey teams to small Canadian towns.

-latter hockey team making one playoff appearance, and never won a playoff game.

-2012 SEC Championship

-Kent Hrbek tackling a guy off first base to get the out.

-nearly 50 years of NBA, no Finals appearances.

-1 title in like 170 seasons.

6 minutes ago, ImmortalChef said:

I am

Yeah I don't think many people consider the old NASL major. But if you're counting them, then San Diego has lost a team in that league too. Bringing their grand total of lost major league teams to 6.

Nevermind the pain and futility those 6 teams and the Padres have put the city through.

14 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

No, I was referring to that game when Rick Ankiel was all over the place.

Oh man, my brother still uses Ankiel as a slur, to this day. Usually used like "spaz."

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

As a fan of Cleveland... I'd have to say Buffalo. There's still fans in Cleveland that remember when the Browns were kings. They're aging, but they're there. My father remembers the Browns 64 championship as a kid. And the Cavs did just win, and have been quite good during LeBron's time here.

Buffalo, though, had a great run with the Bills (yeah, they had an AFL title, but that was just one), with four straight Super Bowl appearances. A great overall team. The biggest comeback in NFL history. They made a Super Bowl with their backup QB one year. They seemed like they just were destined to win.... then, Wide Right, Thurman's lost helmet, 52-17 and Super Bowl record turnovers, and then a 13-10 lead at the half and the thought that, finally, this might be the year.... nope, 30-13 final. And that was the end of their run. And then, they make the playoffs.... finally, and they sit Flutie, and then Music City Miracle. Never been to the playoffs since then.

And that's not even mentioning the Sabres and the ridiculous non-goal goal. As a general fan of hockey, I watched that game live, and couldn't believe the NHL let the call stand. They didn't want to do the right thing. Sure, Buffalo may not have won the Stanley Cup after the call being reversed, but that is one of the worst ways to lose. Not only did you lose in such a fashion, but the league you play in basically worked against you as well. And so blatantly.

To be cursed, I think you need the temptation of success. Padres lost to the Yankees years ago, and the Chargers got thumped by the 49ers in SB XXIX. But, they're just average. Not cursed.

As for teams moving? Buffalo lost a team TO San Diego. Cleveland's lost a team. San DIego lost two teams now. I feel bad for the Chargers loss, but I wouldn't call them 'cursed' because of it. Just a crappy owner.

3 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

As for teams moving? Buffalo lost a team TO San Diego. Cleveland's lost a team. San DIego lost two teams now. I feel bad for the Chargers loss, but I wouldn't call them 'cursed' because of it. Just a crappy owner.

Actually San Diego has lost 5 top level teams (6 if you count the old NASL)

Rockets

Sails

Mariners

Clippers

Sockers

Chargers

Archived