Most Cursed City in Sports

kroywen

3 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Judging by their little pictograms in the video, I think they counted the San Diego Clippers but not the Buffalo Braves.  It's the same team!  They were in Buffalo longer than in San Diego!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, infrared41 said:

A Detroit Lions fan talking about how cursed the Browns are? Pot, meet kettle. Call me crazy, but I think 0-16 is the "definition of bad." So is exactly one playoff game win since 1957. Three divisional titles in 60 years? Yeah, that's pretty bad too. Exactly one NFC Championship game appearance in 60 years? C'mon. The Lions are beyond "cursed", they're just plain old bad. And they've been bad for a lot longer than the Browns 2.0 have been bad. Again, call me crazy, but I'll take the Browns of the last 60 years over the Lions of the last 60 years every time. B)

All that aside, if the "sports gods" don't like Cleveland, letting the Cavs come back from a 3-1 deficit to win the NBA title sure is a funny way of showing it. 

Whoa...a bit defensive there? I was just pointing out a fact, not playing "who's team is worse than the other".

sig.png

1 hour ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Whoa...a bit defensive there? I was just pointing out a fact, not playing "who's team is worse than the other".

Not a all. I was simply pointing out how silly it is for a Lions fan to use the Browns as an example of a "cursed" football team.  Also, claiming Cleveland is still "cursed" is not pointing out a fact. And really, "whoa" as if I'd gone off on some tirade? 

BB52Big.jpg

57 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Not a all. I was simply pointing out how silly it is for a Lions fan to use the Browns as an example of a "cursed" football team.  Also, claiming Cleveland is still "cursed" is not pointing out a fact. And really, "whoa" as if I'd gone off on some tirade? 

It read like a tirade. Sorry if I got the wrong impression.

Yes, the Lions are the most futile "professional" football team, but my main point was to say that the Browns, while never absolutely consistently terrible, they were rather mediocre before the relocation. Then, they move to Baltimore, win a Superbowl and remain one of the most dominant teams in football for 15 years, winning another. Cleveland gets another team, and it seems like they picked up right where the last one left off. So, they leave the city and become great within 2 years. That sort of seems like a curse, no? I'm just imagining it happening to me. If the Lions- who have been absolutely terrible for 60 years- relocated to Las Vegas and won the Superbowl within 4 years, I'd be a little upset. 

sig.png

1 hour ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

It read like a tirade. Sorry if I got the wrong impression.

the Browns, while never absolutely consistently terrible, they were rather mediocre before the relocation. 

Using this B) at the end of my post indicated it was all in fun. B)

Setting aside the Browns incredible success in the 40's and 50's...

From their last championship in 1964 thru the move in 1995 - a span of 31 years -  the Browns made the playoffs 16 times, won their division 11 times, and made the conference championship 5 times. That stretch is a tad better than "mediocre", don't you think? 

BB52Big.jpg

Ottawa, we haven't had a Stanley Cup since 1927, a Grey Cup since 1976, we have lost both our teams and got them back and only to choke so many times not to mention we are located in the middle of two superpowers of Canadian sports and we are a government town so most people there are from other parts of the country so we become the brunt of a joke that Canadian Tire Center is the leafs second home due to the amount of leafs fans who either live in Ottawa or can get cheaper tickets. 

zyyMk1d.png

5 hours ago, clonewars2008 said:

Ottawa, we haven't had a Stanley Cup since 1927, a Grey Cup since 1976, we have lost both our teams and got them back and only to choke so many times not to mention we are located in the middle of two superpowers of Canadian sports and we are a government town so most people there are from other parts of the country so we become the brunt of a joke that Canadian Tire Center is the leafs second home due to the amount of leafs fans who either live in Ottawa or can get cheaper tickets. 

You lost your football team twice, & I think it was you guys who drafted a dead guy, I forget.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

btw, CFL Grey Cups count as real.  While the Argos are the least significant CFL franchise to their own market, that they've won at least one title per decade since the 80's means they're not pushovers.

If they count for the likes of Edmonton, Calgary, & Montreal, then Toronto is in that same conversation.

@2001mark

7 hours ago, Needschat said:

Only Boston people curse at Boston. LOL  Everyone else hates Gotham

Well, recently, we New York fans have been cursing plenty at Boston, considering their incredibly annoying run of success across all four major sports over the last 15 years.

Though you're right that everyone else hates Gotham... and we're damn proud of that. ;)

10 hours ago, kroywen said:

Though you're right that everyone else hates Gotham... and we're damn proud of that. ;)

Well, Batman doesn't...

On 2016-06-20 at 10:39 AM, CS85 said:

Per Wikipedia

1. Ottawa - 89 years, 1 team
  2. San Diego - 53 years, 2 teams
  3. Buffalo - 51 years, 2 teams
  4. Vancouver - 46 years, 1 team
  5. Milwaukee - 45 years, 2 teams

I didn't even think of Ottawa. So they are #1, but then again they do have a CFL team and used to have an old tyme hockey team that did win a bunch of Stanley Cups. Buffalo might have had a successful minor league franchise somewhere. What has San Diego ever won?

51 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

I didn't even think of Ottawa. So they are #1, but then again they do have a CFL team and used to have an old tyme hockey team that did win a bunch of Stanley Cups. Buffalo might have had a successful minor league franchise somewhere. What has San Diego ever won?

Rough Riders' Grey Cup champs of '68, '69, '73, & '76.  For a city like Ottawa, the CFL as mentioned, for me, is a thing for this discussion.  

SD teams have won nothing.

I give Milwaukee a slight pass for the Packers which are essentially a state rep for Wisconsin.  Subjective yet that's my stance.

@2001mark

Yea Canadian cities that have CFL teams don't really count. Some people (including myself) don't see it as quite the caliber of the major 4, but the residents of the cities do, so it's meaningful. 

^ Agreed with the Packers.

It's really a toss up between San Diego and Buffalo, but I think Buffalo takes the edge for a few reasons. They've made it to the big show and lost, several times over. If you're consistently heartbroken by good or great teams, it adds to the frustration. In my opinion, that's worse than a team that you don't have high expectations for in the first place. 

Would locale be a factor in this case? Feel free to completely shoot me down, but San Diegoans seem to have a few things to distract them from their sports misery- ie. beaches, oceans, pretty much being in the best climate in the world. Buffalo sucks (you know what I mean). 

sig.png

2 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

It's really a toss up between San Diego and Buffalo, but I think Buffalo takes the edge for a few reasons. They've made it to the big show and lost, several times over. If you're consistently heartbroken by good or great teams, it adds to the frustration. In my opinion, that's worse than a team that you don't have high expectations for in the first place. 

Would locale be a factor in this case? Feel free to completely shoot me down, but San Diegoans seem to have a few things to distract them from their sports misery- ie. beaches, oceans, pretty much being in the best climate in the world. Buffalo sucks (you know what I mean). 

Yep, the Chargers have lost with respect.  The Bills & Sabres have lost probably shortening some of their fans' lifespans.  The Bills manhandled the AFC 4 straight seasons, blew out the NFC in regular season games I think those years, & kept stumbling at the finish line.  The Chargers were borderline elite during the Brady-Manning era, respectfully enough.  

The Padres seem a borderline fictional team without much baggage - unlike the Cubs & until '04 Red Sox deadly anchors around their necks.

I'll give more cursed points to SD if the Chargers move to LA, joining the Clippers... both of whom will never be the #1 team there.  2 lesser franchises being taken away to their neighbour would add cursed points for sure.

@2001mark

Archived