I dream my painting and I paint my dream

Mings

Those are pretty great Daniel. Would love to know how you are getting such crisp line work - bright brushes?

On my geometric painting I cheated and used Painters Tape, but it did get the desired result.

18 minutes ago, Mings said:

Those are pretty great Daniel. Would love to know how you are getting such crisp line work - bright brushes?

On my geometric painting I cheated and used Painters Tape, but it did get the desired result.

thanks its a combination of tape and lots and lots of time and patience. 

deck.jpgdeck2.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Mings said:

That's not cheating.  That's why they call it painter's tape.

• Like 2

True. My painting teacher at Lillstreet Art Center encouraged me to try it, and it worked out.

My latest is not ready for a full reveal yet. Landscape taking longer than anticipated but is turning out very nicely.

51 minutes ago, Mings said:

Have any of you sold a painting before? I have a friend that wants to buy the latest one but not sure how much to charge.

I've sold a lot.  (Not as much as I'd like, obviously, but I have been at this professionally for 20+ years.)  When I was an undergraduate a painting prof gave me a amateur/beginner pricing guide.  He said if you've never sold, or sold very little, cover the cost of all materials and then give yourself $25 to $35 an hour. (of course, that was the late 80's.)  That was sort of helpful, but falls apart pretty quick.  Usual, for me anyway, it's hard to say how much time you actual spend on any given painting. Sometimes they come together pretty quick, other times you struggle, but that isn't likely to show on the final result.  I once sold a painting that took me less then a half hour for a ridiculous amount of money, but I gave half of the sale to a gallery.  Once you get into the gallery/juried show/agent business, they start to basically tell you how much to charge.  Galleries will generally take %40 to %50 of the sale, agents %10 to %20.

Here's what I would say.  Don't charge too little.  If you basically try to just give it away for a song, you're devaluing your time, and worse, you're telling the person who wants to buy it that they have crappy taste.  And if the work means something to you, you'll regret just giving it away for a small amount.  When I was younger, I made some stuff that meant a lot to me, and its all gone now.  I wanted to sell it, I'm pretty much glad that I sold it, but I wouldn't mind if I'd gotten just a bit more for it.

3 hours ago, Mings said:

@oldschoolvikings @daniel75 Do you guys scan your paintings? If so before or after varnish?

Also, I've officially sold a painting and said church's wants to display my work for sale in it! I better get going on more paintings. Not bad for a hobby.

I use a digital camera, but for small work i do use a scanner.

Thanks. I've been approached to sell prints of the church one since the original is spoken for. I scanned earlier before varnishing and it came well. Had to scan in pieces, but Photomerge is my new best friend.