Redesign of Current U.S. Political Party Logos: TORCHED (Libertarians 2.0)

Htown1141

The other day while watching the election, among everything else that stood out to me, is that the politcal parties in the United States, specifically the two major parties, the GOP and the Democratic Party, need such an update. not that they are horrible, but they could be substantially better. Here is my take

DEMOCRATIC PARTY

The oldest of the two major parties, the Democratic Party was founded in 1828 by Andrew Jackson. Its previous logo was a donkey, as the media originally coined the jackass to represent Jackson and his party. However, the party has changed a lot since then, and the symbol deserves a change. 

dgRdctm.png

*REDESIGN 1.0.0 CAN BE FOUND HERE*

*DIFFERENCES CAN BE FOUND HERE*

FONT:  The typeface I decided to use was a slightly custom variation to the font MS Reference Sans Serif

WHAT'S UP WITH THE LIGHT BLUE BARS?: The bars are a representation of the equal sign (=), the symbol used to represent equality (no :censored:.) It fits the modern party platform quite well, actually.

WHAT ABOUT A GAY PRIDE VERSION OF THIS?: I got you right here v1.0.0here v1.0.1.

REPUBLICAN PARTY (GOP)

The Republican Party, also known as the Grand Old Party, is the younger of the two major U.S. political parties. The symbol is an elephant, which was originally coined by Thomas Nast in 1874. I saw the Elephant as fitting for the GOP, so I went ahead and completely redesigned the iconic square elephant thing and made it look, you know, like an actual elephant

BGT7Fg4.png

THAT FRONT FOOT DOESN'T LOOK RIGHT: I know, if someone would like to give some advice on the foot, I'd really appreciate it.

WHERE IS THE WORDMARK?: I don't really have an idea for one, but I made a POTUS version with a placeholder wordmark.

ARE THERE ANY ALTERNATE BACKGROUNDS, LIKE WITH THE DEMOCRATS?: Yes, there is. Right here.

Not sure the red in the Dem logo works. I would change that to at least a different shade of blue. Also, make the equal sign a little more obvious. Maybe make it a bit longer. Other than that it looks great. The GOP logo is fantastic, no complaints there.

27 minutes ago, Dan O'Mac said:

I really want the Libertarian party with their porcupine redone, just to see what you can do.

I was actually going to go with the liberty torch, but I completely forgot about the porcupine. I will try it out, thanks for the suggestion!

I like the design for the GOP. On the other hand, I think the Democrats logo may be difficult to read from far.

May I suggest using lettering for the Republicans with the elephant "inside"? Like this:

1280px-GOP_Logo1.svg.png

Also, will you be doing State versions of the logos? E.g.

stickylogo.pngTexas-GOP.png

I think you've done a nice job. Looking forward to see the Libertarian Part logo with the porcupine!

Per y'alls request....

LIBERTARIAN PARTY

The Libertarian Party, the 3rd most prominent U.S. political party and certainly the most talked about outside of Republicans and Democrats, was founded in 1971 as an alternative to the growing conservative movement in the Republican Party. Many of its primary issues regard staying out of people's way, for example, being for the legalization of Marijuana and protecting gay marriage. Their current logo is an eagle and its wing as a flame for a torch (really cool concept IMO), but other symbols include the statue of liberty and the oh so beloved porcupine. Because of you guys, I chose the Porcupine.

BGHRFRi.png

THAT LOOKS MORE LIKE A HEDGEHOG:  I disagree.

WHY THE GRAY BACKGROUND AND THE WHITE BOTTOM? SPEAKING OF, WHY SEPARATE IT?: Aesthetics, mainly. Also, if anyone wants to help me make a Nike-esque reason for it, I'm all ears.

IS THERE A MARIJUANA ALTERNATE?: You bet your :censored: there is. Right here.

4 hours ago, Victormrey said:

I like the design for the GOP. On the other hand, I think the Democrats logo may be difficult to read from far.

May I suggest using lettering for the Republicans with the elephant "inside"? Like this:

1280px-GOP_Logo1.svg.png

Also, will you be doing State versions of the logos? E.g.

stickylogo.pngTexas-GOP.png

I think you've done a nice job. Looking forward to see the Libertarian Part logo with the porcupine!

Good thinking on the State logos, and I will try to get to the GOP wordmark ASAP and see how it looks.

I like the GOP wordmark! The identity you've made for the GOP is stellar.

However, I dont like the Dems as much. The idea is really good, but it just doesn't seem like it works. The E feels like an unnecessary block in the logo that disrupts the flow. It's still a really good logo, I'd just execute it differently.

And the Libertarian logo is really good, too. In my opinion, (And if you've seen my Libertarian redesign, you'll know this.) the Libertarians need to legitimize themselves while staying unique, and I don't think the porcupine is the best way to go. However, you did it really well.

All around, the several variations of each logo and the basic versions of each logo are really good. Minor improvements here and there would help a lot, though.

On 11/17/2016 at 8:19 AM, Zeus89725 said:

I like the GOP wordmark! The identity you've made for the GOP is stellar.

However, I dont like the Dems as much. The idea is really good, but it just doesn't seem like it works. The E feels like an unnecessary block in the logo that disrupts the flow. It's still a really good logo, I'd just execute it differently.

And the Libertarian logo is really good, too. In my opinion, (And if you've seen my Libertarian redesign, you'll know this.) the Libertarians need to legitimize themselves while staying unique, and I don't think the porcupine is the best way to go. However, you did it really well.

All around, the several variations of each logo and the basic versions of each logo are really good. Minor improvements here and there would help a lot, though.

I was thinking the exact same thing, which is why I went with the torch to begin with. Looking back, I should've released the torch first and have the porcupine as an alt, but I didn't. I say this because my computer is stuck in the "preparing automatic repair" (24 hours now) and I haven't been able to get any high quality versions of the logos I was thinking about. But today I was working on something in class and ended up drawing this torch that I think is pretty friggin awesome. Let me know what y'all think. 

LIBERTY TORCH W/ EAGLE OR PORCUPINE?

1479503793155.jpeg

I've always been a fan of the porcupine, given its symbolic relation with the libertarian ideology. But the torch with the eagle logo is really clever.

Also, (IIRC) the Libertarian Party has never oficially used the porcupine, so I'd go for the torch with the eagle.

BTW, for how many parties you will be designing logos?

18 hours ago, Victormrey said:

I've always been a fan of the porcupine, given its symbolic relation with the libertarian ideology. But the torch with the eagle logo is really clever.

Also, (IIRC) the Libertarian Party has never oficially used the porcupine, so I'd go for the torch with the eagle.

BTW, for how many parties you will be designing logos?

I'm not I'm actually not quite sure yet. I know I'm still gonna do the Green Party and @Bruins I'm probably going to do the constitution party, maybe some more in the U.S. and maybe a few in Canada. Who knows, maybe do some work on an obscure country like Lesotho.

Archived