Your Ideal MLB Ballpark Outfield

DCarp1231

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ideal MLB Ballpark Outfield?

Anyone that does not have a roof over it. Nothing worse than watching baseball with the cold lights from floodlights. No sunshine, no wind, no shadows. Just a sterile environment.

I can't believe the Rangers are also moving indoors. Retractable roof my ass, in Houston and Miami they never open the damn thing.   

Left:Green Monster

Center: Tal's Hill

Right: The Baggie

GRN.jpg

TAL.jpg

bag.JPG

SKOL VIKINGS    GO WILD

Minnesota            

Is                      

LOSERVILLE          

2 hours ago, DeFrank said:

If RFK was rebuilt as a new, beautiful, and purely baseball park for the Nationals, this would have been a very nice outfield view: image.png.5a0fcec033dfaab2967e00f5e07f7fe7.png

It is america's pastime

SKOL VIKINGS    GO WILD

Minnesota            

Is                      

LOSERVILLE          

10 hours ago, DeFrank said:

If RFK was rebuilt as a new, beautiful, and purely baseball park for the Nationals, this would have been a very nice outfield view: image.png.5a0fcec033dfaab2967e00f5e07f7fe7.png

That pic misleading. RFK is a bit too far for any decent view of the Capitol, let alone the Monument:

RFK_Stadium_aerial_photo,_looking_toward

rfk_plate_crop.jpg

14 hours ago, daveindc said:

That pic misleading. RFK is a bit too far for any decent view of the Capitol, let alone the Monument:

RFK_Stadium_aerial_photo,_looking_toward

You sure about that? With a totally unobstructed view, I think you could definitely see the Capitol and monument. Perhaps not from home plate, but from a not-too-high up spot they'd be very visible.

This is a better shot of the area though, if only for the reason I can make out my house in this angle!

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

53 minutes ago, DeFrank said:

You sure about that? With a totally unobstructed view, I think you could definitely see the Capitol and monument. Perhaps not from home plate, but from a not-too-high up spot they'd be very visible.

This is a better shot of the area though, if only for the reason I can make out my house in this angle!

Nats Park is about a mile away from the Capitol, and you can barely see it from the highest part of the stadium. RFK is 2 miles away.

173087212.jpg

But RFK is right inline with the capitol

SKOL VIKINGS    GO WILD

Minnesota            

Is                      

LOSERVILLE          

1 hour ago, daveindc said:

Nats Park is about a mile away from the Capitol, and you can barely see it from the highest part of the stadium. RFK is 2 miles away.

Right, but there's nothing obstructing the view of the Capitol along East Capitol St. This is a view of RFK along East Capitol St. from the Capitol dome. 

image.png

potd 10/20/12

41 minutes ago, DeFrank said:

Right, but there's nothing obstructing the view of the Capitol along East Capitol St. This is a view of RFK along East Capitol St. from the Capitol dome. 

image.png

I'm just saying that the view still wouldn't be all that spectacular, even if there's no obstruction. The Capitol is two miles away, and the Monument is three miles away. Compare that with Philly's skyline which is three miles away from CBP:

Citizens-Bank-Park.jpg8851751501854.jpg

Add the fact that the Monument is only half as tall as those tallest buildings in Philly. Sure you would be able to see them, but the view wouldn't be anything to talk about. It ain't like the Gateway Arch or Pittsburgh skyline, both less than half a mile away from the ballparks.

2 minutes ago, daveindc said:

I'm just saying that the view still wouldn't be all that spectacular, even if there's no obstruction. The Capitol is two miles away, and the Monument is three miles away. Compare that with Philly's skyline which is three miles away from CBP

Add the fact that the Monument is only half as tall as those tallest buildings in Philly. Sure you would be able to see them, but the view would be nothing to talk about. It ain't like the Gateway Arch or Pittsburgh skyline, both less than half a mile away from the ballparks.

Right I completely agree it wouldn't be a spectacular, close up view, but it would still be very nice. 

Going forward, I think Washington ought to build stadium on the former RFK site for football that could operate as a sort of "national stadium." 

potd 10/20/12

On 9/30/2017 at 2:19 AM, jerseyjunk said:

Ideal MLB Ballpark Outfield?

Anyone that does not have a roof over it. Nothing worse than watching baseball with the cold lights from floodlights. No sunshine, no wind, no shadows. Just a sterile environment.

I can't believe the Rangers are also moving indoors. Retractable roof my ass, in Houston and Miami they never open the damn thing.   

It’s understandable why Houston, Miami, & Phoenix have retractable roofed parks, considering the heat these markets endure for a sport played during the summer. 

And when Houston’s roof is open, it’s one of the best skyline views in baseball...

DAoy9HsW0AEWiKr?format=jpg&name=large

As as for the perfect outfield. Pittsburgh & Baltimore are great but nothing tops the views & character of Pac Bell Park. 

attv5.jpg

NYCdog.png

9 minutes ago, DeFrank said:

Right I completely agree it wouldn't be a spectacular, close up view, but it would still be very nice. 

Going forward, I think Washington ought to build stadium on the former RFK site for football that could operate as a sort of "national stadium." 

It'll definitely be the perfect site for the new Redskins stadium.

2 hours ago, NYCdog said:

As as for the perfect outfield. Pittsburgh & Baltimore are great but nothing tops the views & character of Pac Bell Park. 

attv5.jpg

Speaking of the Bay, the here's some recent stuff on the A's proposed site for their new stadium:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/09/13/view-from-as-new-stadium-a-magnificent-backdrop/

http://www.ktvu.com/news/proposed-oakland-as-stadium-site-a-big-hit-with-business-leaders

On 9/30/2017 at 2:05 PM, DeFrank said:

17 hours ago, DeFrank said:

image.png

The Capitol is directly west of RFK.  The bottom picture above is looking due east from the Capitol along East Capitol Street.

Most baseball stadiums are oriented with home plate facing north or northeast so the sun is never behind the pitcher.  RFK's baseball layout has home plate facing due east (see below).  At best, the Capitol would be along the third base line of a baseball stadium on the RFK site, assuming home plate faced north or northeast..

RFKStadium.gif 

rfk10950.jpg250px-RFK_Stadium_aerial_photo,_looking_

The roadways coming together on the righthand edge of the picture to the left are the same as those on the bottom of picture to the right.  Home plate faces toward those roads, which are sections of East Capitol Street reconnecting just before it crosses the Anacostia River.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

No one talks about this skyline. In Philly its 2 miles away but here its like a half mile or less away

MIIIIIIIIII.jpg

SKOL VIKINGS    GO WILD

Minnesota            

Is                      

LOSERVILLE          

Archived