Cleveland Browns Uni Concept-As if they were a new team

rtrich11

This concept may make some people's blood boil, but what would the Browns look like if they had NO history NO tradition and were a new team?

Think about it. Besides Brown, the obvious choice, what color palette would you use? What look would you pursue; something flashy like they have now, or something tough and basic?

Would you have a non-brown helmet with no logo, or where would you start?

I went brown, basic, and tough. Orange takes a back seat to steely grey. No flash, just rough.

browns-unis-2017-richards.png

Guest darkpiranha

Nice so far.  I know you want to pay tribute to the tradition, and to hold off the people who'll be coming for your head for even daring to re-imagine the Browns, but I don't think there's any way a new team, from scratch, would add orange in there, especially with the very orange-y Bengals already in the Division and the Broncos really owning the color.  I like the grey.  Maybe black as the accent color?  Or maybe something like a lighter brick red, like the last Astros color.  

ah i see you picked #26 for saquon barkley......

jk yes there needs to be more gray in the NFL. also i like how you kept the main color brown with a heavy focus, instead of feeling like orange on top of brown like they have today. good job, i think a plain brown helmet (with normal stripes) would look better though, since the logo isn't too eye-catching if you know what i mean

darkpiranha, you make a few interesting points. Browns vs Bengals is a very orange-y affair. Regardless, I think orange is a decent, complimentary color to brown, but let's think of a few others.

Brown + yellow a la Wyoming- not great.

Brown + red is used by Brown University, and is ok. I would have to see how well it would pop, though.

Brown + blue, as long as it is royal blue, could work. Look at a Snickers bar for reference.

Yes: The helmet logo, and I'm good with a brown helmet if there's more orange somewhere else.  Needs a little bit of color to pop.

No: Retro number font from the 60s/70s Cowboys, sleeve wordmark. I'm a traditional "varsity" number font guy.  I'm getting old what can I say?

I think it's REALLY hard to depart from history entirely despite your best efforts to do it and I have mad respect for trying it.  Especially since the Browns name on its own is based on the guy who founded the team.  You might have to consider a full re-brand.

Can't wait to see the evolution of this concept.  Good stuff.

I have other ideas, but this is another version of the jersey, this time without the wordmark on the sleeve. I moved it to the chest, which makes it old-school practice jersey-ish. I still want it simple-no flash, which is why there isn't a lot of design elements. All on purpose.

browns-unis-2017-richards2.png

1. The logo is well done.

2. Brown, gray, and orange go great together.  Did you consider a gray helmet?  The brown looks really good but maybe gray would too.

3.  That number font needs to go.  There's no way a new team would start with that, and it doesn't really go with anything else.  I'd go with either a traditional block, or a restrained custom font, like the Texans.

4. The wordmark certainly doesn't belong on the sleeves, but I don't love it on the jersey either.  Maybe make it smaller at least?

Also:

Since we live in a world where the Browns do exist, it would be cool to see a concept that includes their current helmet (with or without your new logo, and with a gray facemask), since we know that's one aspect that's untouchable in their eyes.

If the helmet was left without a logo, your new one could go on the sleeves.