Cleveland Browns Uni Concept-As if they were a new team

rtrich11

This concept may make some people's blood boil, but what would the Browns look like if they had NO history NO tradition and were a new team?

Think about it. Besides Brown, the obvious choice, what color palette would you use? What look would you pursue; something flashy like they have now, or something tough and basic?

Would you have a non-brown helmet with no logo, or where would you start?

I went brown, basic, and tough. Orange takes a back seat to steely grey. No flash, just rough.

browns-unis-2017-richards.png

Guest darkpiranha

Nice so far.  I know you want to pay tribute to the tradition, and to hold off the people who'll be coming for your head for even daring to re-imagine the Browns, but I don't think there's any way a new team, from scratch, would add orange in there, especially with the very orange-y Bengals already in the Division and the Broncos really owning the color.  I like the grey.  Maybe black as the accent color?  Or maybe something like a lighter brick red, like the last Astros color.  

ah i see you picked #26 for saquon barkley......

jk yes there needs to be more gray in the NFL. also i like how you kept the main color brown with a heavy focus, instead of feeling like orange on top of brown like they have today. good job, i think a plain brown helmet (with normal stripes) would look better though, since the logo isn't too eye-catching if you know what i mean

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

darkpiranha, you make a few interesting points. Browns vs Bengals is a very orange-y affair. Regardless, I think orange is a decent, complimentary color to brown, but let's think of a few others.

Brown + yellow a la Wyoming- not great.

Brown + red is used by Brown University, and is ok. I would have to see how well it would pop, though.

Brown + blue, as long as it is royal blue, could work. Look at a Snickers bar for reference.

Interesting that a team that's "newly formed" has such a traditional look. ^_^

Honestly, though, I don't mind it.  I do agree with @WavePunter on the sleeve wordmark, though.  Some minor changes would make this an excellent work.

"It is better to have fought and lost than to not have fought at all."

Yes: The helmet logo, and I'm good with a brown helmet if there's more orange somewhere else.  Needs a little bit of color to pop.

No: Retro number font from the 60s/70s Cowboys, sleeve wordmark. I'm a traditional "varsity" number font guy.  I'm getting old what can I say?

I think it's REALLY hard to depart from history entirely despite your best efforts to do it and I have mad respect for trying it.  Especially since the Browns name on its own is based on the guy who founded the team.  You might have to consider a full re-brand.

Can't wait to see the evolution of this concept.  Good stuff.

mainescarf.png

1. The logo is well done.

2. Brown, gray, and orange go great together.  Did you consider a gray helmet?  The brown looks really good but maybe gray would too.

3.  That number font needs to go.  There's no way a new team would start with that, and it doesn't really go with anything else.  I'd go with either a traditional block, or a restrained custom font, like the Texans.

4. The wordmark certainly doesn't belong on the sleeves, but I don't love it on the jersey either.  Maybe make it smaller at least?

Also:

Since we live in a world where the Browns do exist, it would be cool to see a concept that includes their current helmet (with or without your new logo, and with a gray facemask), since we know that's one aspect that's untouchable in their eyes.

If the helmet was left without a logo, your new one could go on the sleeves.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived