Redesigning Minnesota High School Hockey

Section30

17 hours ago, Section30 said:

Up next are one of the biggest powerhouses in the state year in and year out, the Duluth East Greyhounds.

East High School

Nickname: Greyhounds

Enrollment: 1,506

Rival(s): Cloquet, Duluth Denfeld, Duluth Marshall, Grand Rapids

Class: AA

State Titles: 3 (1960, 1995, 1998)

State Tournament Appearances: 24 (58, 60, 61, 64, 75, 91, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 00, 03, 04, 05, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 18, 19)

Home:

I absolutely LOVE East's current away which is actually a throwback, so I decided to make that the base for the set. I made a white version of the jersey with the Duuth east script and double stripes. I made the shoulders black and made a change from the current away by moving the Greyhound logo to the shoulders instead of the upper chest, it was just too much going on. This jersey replaces their current home which features a Rangers style logo on the front which I have completely eliminated from the entire set, and the jersey itself is a rangers template so I thats a big reason I changed it. (Note: I personally do like their current home, but I like the one I made much more).

Away:

The away is almost the same as their current away, but I did make a few adjustments. The Greyhound logo is now on the shoulders like the home, and I inverted the colors of the script and numbers, making it almost the same as what they used for Hockey Day MN a few years ago. I just thought the red script and numbers were kinda hard to read, and the Hounds seem to be a more black and white team with red accents rather than red as a focus color.

Alternate:

The alternate is a black jersey with classic striping and Duluth East diagonally across the chest. It is the exact same as their old jerseys. I opted to go with the double diagonal wording for the Greyhounds because to me, that is their look. I have seen them at the state tournament for most of my life, and they have always had the double diagonal Duluth east so I knew I needed to put it in this series, I just opted to use the same striping as their old jerseys because it is a classic look IMO.

W2K4Ddb.png

Up next will be the Ely Timberwolves.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

I love the red pants with the set. Its different but it works

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, EJaws said:

Duluth East just has a phenomenal set overall, but this, this is even better. Im glad to see you kept their current away and set it as an ALT. That jersey is a Tourney classic

Thank you, I'm glad you agree about keeping the diagonal text for the alt, it is a little wonky but it's classic.

1 hour ago, bkknight95 said:

I love the red pants with the set. Its different but it works

Yeah, I think the red pants keep the uniform well balanced with the jerseys and socks primarily black and white.

Next up are a team that is close to me, the Ely Timberwolves. I have a cabin in Ely so I spend a lot of my summers there, near the Canadian border.

Ely Memorial High School

Nickname: Timberwolves

Enrollment: 176

Rival(s): 

Class: A

State Titles: 0

State Tournament Appearances: 0

Home:

I'm not a big fan of the Wolves current home, so I decided to completely redesign them. I left their amazing logo on the front of the sweater and use a unique stripe style where red reaches all the way to the cuffs and hem and there is a black stripe above.

Away:

The away is a red version of the home, the striping is consistent, but now they are primarily black with white stripes thrown in.

Alternate:

The alternate is a black version of the home, the stripes are exactly the same. The script Ely from the shoulders of the other jerseys finds its way to the front of this sweater and the Wolf head is moved to the shoulders.

jX5BwJu.png

Next up are the Gentry Academy Galaxy.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

Up next are the newest team in the state, just coming off their first season in the MSHSL, the Gentry Academy Stars. Gentry Academy is a private school in Vadnais Heights that incorporates hockey into their curriculum. They recently gained a lot of media attention when two students, one 13 and one 14, committed to the University of Minnesota to play hockey before even playing a high school game.

Gentry Academy

Nickname: Stars

Enrollment: 160 (Grades 5-12)

Rival(s): 

Home:

The Stars current jerseys are... not good. It's hard to make anything look good with such bright colors, especially with them being the primary colors, but I think I came up with something that looks good. I decided to completely start over for them and went with a rainbow gradient style striping. I decided to use the school shield on the front of the sweater instead of the star logo which is now on the shoulders.

Away:

The away is a blue version of the home, thei replaces their current away which is red and uses the same striping as their current home.

Alternate:

The alternate is a red version of the other jerseys.

Fl3uerC.png

Next up will be the Grand Rapids Thunderhawks.

Up next are the historic Grand Rapids Thunderhawks.

Grand Rapids High School

Nickname: Thunderhawks

Enrollment: 1,093

Rival(s): Greenway, Duluth East

Class: AA

State Titles: 4 (1975, 1976, 1980, 2017)

State Tournament Appearances: 16 (1972, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1988, 1990,1991, 2006, 2007, 2016, 2017)

Home:

Grand Rapids just changed their jerseys a year or two ago, I can't find any pic old their new home, but here is their current away. To me they should always be in Flyers style jerseys, but I decided against using templated jerseys, so I decided to modify it. I kept the sleeve long orange stripes, but added a black outline instead of black cuffs, the orange stripe on the hem also gets black outlines around it.

Away:

The away is an orange version of the home, also a modified version of the Flyers jerseys.

Alternate:

THROWBACK TIME! The alternate is a throwback to what the team wore back in the 70s when they won their first two state titles.

5csE6dU.png

Up next will be the La Crescent-Hokah Lancers.

Next up we have the La Crescent-Hokah Lancers.

La Crescent Senior High

Nickname: Lancers

Enrollment: 408

Rival(s): 

Home:

The Lancers recently changed their jerseys to these grey ones that don't put enough emphasis on their great color scheme IMO. So I decided to  base my set off their old jerseys. I'm using a modified Wild style stripe with green as the main color.

Away:

The away is a green version of the home, it is essentially a simplified version of their old jerseys, it is replacing their current aways.

Alternate:

For the alternate I decided to make a black version of the home and away since the Lancers don't have much of anything for a throwback.

xtOTWgz.png

Next up will be Minneapolis.

Next up are Minneapolis, a combined team made up of kids from the Minneapolis High Schools; Edison, Patrick Henry, Roosevelt, South, Southwest, and Washburn.

Edison High School, Patrick Henry High School, Roosevelt High School, Minneapolis South High School, Minneapolis Southwest High School, Washburn High School

Nickname: 

Enrollment: 8,322 Combined

Rival(s): 

State Titles: 0 (1 in 1970, but just Minneapolis Southwest)

State Tournament Appearances: 0 (36 combined prior to merge)

Home:

Since Minneapolis is a combined team with so many schools with storied histories I decided to base my set off of the old high schools jerseys. The home jersey is a white jersey with the M logo on the front and classic hockey stripes, to the average person these jerseys would look very bland, but there is a reason to this. I based the home and away jerseys off of two of the most successful, and larger schools in the city, Roosevelt and Washburn. The shoulders and collar remain completely white like the old jerseys they are based on, and the striping is almost identical as well. This new home is replacing their current jerseys which I was really close to just tweaking.

Away:

The away is a black version of the home, again based on the old Washburn and Roosevelt jerseys of the 50s and 60s. This is replacing their current away.

Alternate:

For the alternate I decided to honor the only state championship in the cities history. The jersey is all grey with black stripes and logos, but the striping is taken from the Minneapolis Southwest Indians old jerseys that they wore when they won the 1970 state title. I thought this jersey would be "modern" enough with the grey base and no white, but it also hearkens back to the past.

ZRr60ih.png

Next up will be the North Shore Storm.

Next up are the North Shore Storm, a combined team from the north shore of Lake Superior.

Cook County High School, William Kelley High School (Silver Bay), and Two Harbors High School

Nickname: Storm

Enrollment: 1,004 Combined

Rival(s): 

State Tournament Appearances: 1 (Silver Bay in 1999)

Home:

I'm not a fan of the Storm's current home, I don't like the striping, I don't like the use of their colors, and I hate the logo, so I decided to completely redesign them. I brought back the script from their old jerseys, and gave them a classic striping that is based on the jerseys worn by Silver Bay when they made their only state tournament appearance back in 1999.

Away:

The away is a black version of the home, replacing their current away.

Alternate:

The alternate is a silver version of the other jerseys, the striping is consistent. On the front of the sweater is "Storm" arched, replacing the North Shore script.

jd9AnRC.png

Next up will be the Richfield-Southwest Christian Stars.

Up next we have the Southwest Christian-Richfield Stars. This is the second coming of Richfield hockey, with the school dropping the sport a few years ago until they merged with Southwest Christian in 2016/17.

Richfield High School and Southwest Christian High School

Nickname: Stars

Enrollment: 1,454 Combined

Rival(s): Holy Angels

State Tournament Appearances: 6 (1962, 1963, 1964, 1976, 1986, 1991)

Home:

I personally love the Stars current jerseys, so I didn't change much. The only changes I made were thickening the stripes to allow the logo to be easier read, thicken the outline on the numbers, and remove the black stripe on the hem.

Away:

The away is a maroon version of the home, it is also almost the same as their current away, the only changes are the same from the home.

Alternate:

THROWBACK TIME! The alternate is a throwback to the sweaters the Richfield Spartans wore back in the 60s when they went to 3 straight state tournaments.

Z4mcrqb.png

Next up will be the Rochester Lourdes Eagles.

Next up we head south to the Rochester Lourdes Eagles, a private school in Rochester.

Rochester Lourdes High School

Nickname: Eagles

Enrollment: 438

Rival(s): Rochester Mayo, Rochester John Marshall, Rochester Century

State Tournament Appearances: 10 (1974*, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013)

* Means Private School Tournament

Home:

I based this set off of the Eagles almost perfect away jersey. The home jersey is gold with purple stripes and shoulders, the Eagle L logo is on the front of the sweater with the school's new logo on the shoulders. This is replacing their current home which is pretty good, but I liked the simplicity of the away jersey more. While making these jerseys I realized they look very similar to the new Minnesota State jerseys, but kept them anyways because they are some fine looking unis IMO.

Away:

The away is a purple version of the home, it is almost the same as their current away, but all white is gone except on the shoulder logos. I kept the breezers purple which they smartly switched to a couple years ago, their old yellow breezers were god awful.

Alternate:

The alternate is a white jersey with the same stripe style as the home and away, it is a clean classic sweater that features their new logo on the front.

FoFV9BV.png

Next up will be the St. Paul Johnson Governors to finally round out the Independents.

Rounding out the Independents we have the last team from the Twin Cities metro, the historic St. Paul Johnson Governors, the high school that gave us Herb Brooks.

Johnson Senior High

Nickname: Governors

Enrollment: 1,340

Rival(s):

State Titles: 4 (1947, 1953, 1955, 1963)

State Tournament Appearances: 22 (1946, 1947, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1959, 1961, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1970, 1971, 1984, 1991, 1995)

Home:

The home jersey is based on their old home jerseys, it is replacing their current home which has unnecessary black and "Governors" on the name plate.

Away:

I'm mixing it up for the Governors, their throwback jersey is their primary away jersey. This is the jersey the Governors have worn most of their history, it is a classic jersey that is instantly recognizable and I think needs to be brought back full time. They brought it back a coupe years ago, but ruined it with a bad number font and by adding black in between the stripes.

Alternate:

The alternate is a maroon version of the home but with Johnson diagonal across the front rather than Governors.

vAWhZYj.png

That concludes the Independents, next up will be the Big 6 Conference, starting with the Albert Lea Tigers.

Leading off the Big 9 Conference are the Albert Lea Tigers.

Albert Lea Senior High

Nickname: Tigers

Enrollment: 940

Rival(s): Austin

State Tournament Appearances: 3 (2004, 2005, 2007)

Home:

The Tigers current home is ok, but it is nothing compared to their beautiful old jerseys. I essentially just brought their old jersey back for this concept because its damn near perfect IMO.

Away:

The away jersey is a blue version of the home still using the script Tigers on the front. This is replacing their current away which is just a rip off of the Penguins winter classic jerseys from a while ago.

Alternate:

I decided to finally add their powder blue on the alternate, the striping is the same as the other jerseys. Albert Lea's hockey logo replaces the script Tigers on the front of the jersey.

k7Fd6lq.png

Next up will be the Austin Packers.

Next up we have the Austin Packers.

Austin High School

Nickname: Packers

Enrollment: 1,367

Rival(s): Albert Lea, Rochester John Marshall

State Tournament Appearances: 2 (1993, 2001)

Home:

The Packers current home is really good IMO so I only tweaked it. I removed all black from the set (outlining the numbers and Packers text) and beefed up the stripes, that's about it.

Away:

The away jersey is a red version of the home, again their current jersey is pretty solid so all I changed is removing black, beefing the stripes, and changing Packers back to Austin.

Alternate:

THROWBACK TIME!!! For the alternate I decided to throw it back to the Packers first trip to the State Tournament back in 1993. It may not be the prettiest jersey by any means, but it is unique and was used in a landmark moment for the school.

0Lifg6p.png

Next up will be the Faribault Falcons.

Up next are the Faribault (Fair-boe) Falcons.

Faribault Senior High

Nickname: Falcons

Enrollment: 1,227

Rival(s): Northfield

State Tournament Appearances: 1 (1993)

Home:

Faribault's current jerseys are just clones of my current school, Bemidji State, so I changed that up. I kept the striping the same, but added green shoulder yokes and changed the text on the front of the jersey. Instead of the sandwiched "Faribault Falcons" with the number between them I opted to bring back the arched "Falcons" with the number below. The shoulder logo is their school logo with Faribault on it and it can be found on the shoulders and breezers.

Away:

The away jersey is a green version of the home, it also replaces the sandwiched words in favor of arched text, since it is the road uniform it says Faribault now. The shoulder logo is the school logo with Falcons on it.

Alternate:

THROWBACK TIME!!! The alternate is a throwback to the jersey they used in 1993 when they made their only trip to the State Tournament. It is a black jersey with green and white stripes, green numbers, and a vintage Falcon logo with Faribault arched above it.

2Yjrcb4.png

Next up will be the Mankato East Cougars.

Archived