Redesigning Minnesota High School Hockey

Section30

Up next are the Mankato East Cougars, a team that has the potential to have one of the best looks in the state IMO.

Mankato East Senior High

Nickname: Cougars

Enrollment: 1,148

Rival(s): Mankato West

Class: A

State Titles: 0

State Tournament Appearances: 2 (2006, 2018)

Home:

Mankato East's current home is damn near perfect already, even if it is a Michigan Tech template, if you're gonna copy someone you might as well make it the best, which is exactly what they did. The jersey is actually cream instead of white, making the Cougars the first team thus far with no white jersey at all. The only changes I made to this uniform is changing the ugly script Cougars with the much better script Mankato east that their girls team currently uses, and adding the school logo to the shoulders.

Away:

The away jersey is based on the girls jersey I mentioned above but it is adjusted slightly. The striping is now consistent with the home jersey, just adding cream around the black stripes, the cream continues to the bottom of the jersey on the hem. The script and numbers are now solid gold, removing the unnecessary outlines.

Alternate:

For the alternate I keep it the same as the one they currently have. It is all gold with a thick black stripe through the chest and sleeves, no white on the jersey at all. "EAST" is within the chest stripe on the front replacing the script. The only change I made to this jersey is removing the number on the upper chest.

wwfKp9w.png

Next up will be the Mankato West Scarlets.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next up we head across town to Mankato West.

Mankato West High School

Nickname: Scarlets

Enrollment: 1,175

Rival(s): Mankato East

State Tournament Appearances: 2 (2008, 2016)

Home:

Mankato West's current home is just the Blackhawks jerseys with their logo on the front, so I decided to completely redesign them. The striping is simple, one black and one scarlet stripe with a white stripe between them. The shoulders are scarlet with their logo on them, and "Scarlets" is now diagonal across the front.

Away:

The away jersey is a red version of the home, the striping is slightly changed to increase visibility. The shoulders are white with the M logo on the shoulders, Scarlets remains on the front of the jersey like their current away.

Alternate:

Their alternate is a fauxback barberpole jersey that they wore a couple years ago. I adjusted the stripe thickness to allow the numbers and "West" to be easier read. This is replcing their current alt.

eHDXGDw.png

Next up will be the Northfield Raiders.

On 5/18/2019 at 4:51 PM, Section30 said:

Up next are the Mankato East Cougars, a team that has the potential to have one of the best looks in the state IMO.

Mankato East Senior High

Nickname: Cougars

Enrollment: 1,148

Rival(s): Mankato West

State Tournament Appearances: 2 (2006, 2018)

Home:

Mankato East's current home is damn near perfect already, even if it is a Michigan Tech template, if you're gonna copy someone you might as well make it the best, which is exactly what they did. The jersey is actually cream instead of white, making the Cougars the first team thus far with no white jersey at all. The only changes I made to this uniform is changing the ugly script Cougars with the much better script Mankato east that their girls team currently uses, and adding the school logo to the shoulders.

Away:

The away jersey is based on the girls jersey I mentioned above but it is adjusted slightly. The striping is now consistent with the home jersey, just adding cream around the black stripes, the cream continues to the bottom of the jersey on the hem. The script and numbers are now solid gold, removing the unnecessary outlines.

Alternate:

For the alternate I keep it the same as the one they currently have. It is all gold with a thick black stripe through the chest and sleeves, no white on the jersey at all. "EAST" is within the chest stripe on the front replacing the script. The only change I made to this jersey is removing the number on the upper chest.

wwfKp9w.png

Next up will be the Mankato West Scarlets.

I know next to nothing about the teams you've designed, but holy hot damn is that one beautiful jersey set. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 5/21/2019 at 9:45 AM, bkknight95 said:

I know next to nothing about the teams you've designed, but holy hot damn is that one beautiful jersey set. 

10 hours ago, lbj273 said:

You continue to do great work here.  I get tingles with nostalgia looking at the Bloomington Jefferson and Duluth East uniforms, so many tournament memories of those two teams over the years.

Thank you!

Up next are the Northfield Raiders.

Northfield High School

Nickname: Raiders

Enrollment: 1,290

Rival(s): Owatonna, Faribault

State Tournament Appearances: 1 (2017)

Home:

Northfield's current home is very bland, almost no gold, the logo is bad, and it is not at all similar to their away. I decided to base this set off their current away which I really really like. For the home I made the thick stripes all maroon, there are 6 of them, and the thin stripes gold. I replaced the logo with "Raiders" script like they used to use. I moved their classic Raider logo to the shoulders.

Away:

The away jersey is almost the same as their current away, I just change the logos.

Alternate:

Their alternate is a gold version of the home and away, there is no white on the jersey like their girls team. The script on the front is replaced with the classic Raider logo.

lZUgsJf.png

Next up will be the Owatonna Huskies.

Next up we have the Owatonna Huskies.

Owatonna High School

Nickname: Huskies

Enrollment: 1,500

Rival(s): Northfield

Class: AA

State Tournament Appearances: 1 (1998)

Home:

The Huskies current home is alright, it uses a chest stripe and their roundel logo, but I much prefer their current away so I decided to base the set on that instead. The home jersey now uses that stripe style and uses Michigan Tech's "Huskies" script on the front of the sweater like the away. The roundel logo is moved to the shoulders.

Away:

The away jersey is unchanged except the roundel logo is added to the shoulders.

Alternate:

For the alternate I decided to make a set, the alternate is a blue version of the other jerseys. The Huskies script is replaced with the roundel logo and the shoulders are now the husky head logo outside the circle.

jj97Azd.png

Next up will be the Red Wing Wingers.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated

WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF ALL OF THESE ARE SOO GOOD! I seriously need these in a video game. You consistently have unique striping designs for each each, and its f-ing awesome. Owatonnas black on black looks fresh af. plz never stop making concepts for this or your MAHL series (which i still look through from the beginning).

1 hour ago, EJaws said:

WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF ALL OF THESE ARE SOO GOOD! I seriously need these in a video game. You consistently have unique striping designs for each each, and its f-ing awesome. Owatonnas black on black looks fresh af. plz never stop making concepts for this or your MAHL series (which i still look through from the beginning).

Thank you, yeah a video game would be awesome.

And I plan on continuing the MAHL here once I finish this series. I will probably begin filling in the stuff that has already been done on there pretty soon.

Next up we have the (again) creatively named Red Wing Wingers.

Red Wing High School

Nickname: Wingers

Enrollment: 954

Rival(s): Winona

State Titles: 1 (1997)

State Tournament Appearances: 6 (1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002)

Home:

Red Wing's current jersey is a basic jersey that somehow is also a mess. I don't know if it's the logo or the unnecessary black, but I just don't like the jersey. I opted to base my redesign on their girl's team which has a beautiful set, both home and away. For my version I essentially took the girl jersey and added a third stripe like the boys jersey, that's about it.

Away:

The away jersey is also almost identical to the girls jersey but with an extra stripe, but I also changed the collar to purple. The white collar just looked off and was distracting to me. This is replacing their current jerseys which are just the Blackhawks in purple.

Alternate:

THROWBACK TIME!!! The alternate is a throwback to the jerseys worn in the 90s and early 2000s when the team went to 6 State Tournaments in 8 years. It features one of my favorite scripts of any team in the state and actually uses red for a team from Red Wing, I didn't use it on the home or away though because it isn't an official school color (for some reason).

n0sestx.png

Next up we head down to Rochester for the Rochester Century Panthers.

Up next we head to Rochester for the first of the three Rochester teams in this conference, starting with Century.

Century High School

Nickname: Panthers

Enrollment: 1,441

Rival(s): Rochester Mayo, Rochester John Marshall, Rochester Lourdes

State Tournament Appearances: 3 (2005, 2007, 2009)

Home:

The home jersey is based on their current home, but is changed white a bit. I remove the blue shoulders and put the roundel logo on the shoulders. I decided to use the script from their baseball jerseys, I thought it would look great on a hockey jersey and I think it does. The striping is the same as their current home but the stripes under the shoulders are removed because they just clutter the jersey.

Away:

The away jersey is a blue version of the home, the striping is unchanged and the script stays.

Alternate:

The alternate is a grey jersey with blue shoulders. The striping also stays consistent with the other jerseys. The roundel logo with the panther playing hockey replaces the script on the front of the jersey.

BYzWtnT.png

Next up will be the Rochester John Marshall Rockets.

We stay in Rochester and head over to the John Marshall Rockets, the first southern team to win the state title back in 1977.

John Marshall High School

Nickname: Rockets

Enrollment: 1,599

Rival(s): Rochester Mayo, Rochester Century, Rochester Lourdes

State Titles: 1 (1977)

State Tournament Appearances: 6 (1977, 1978, 1979, 1988, 1989, 1996)

Home:

The Rockets current home is not good. I do not like it. I brought back their jersey from their glory days. That is all.

Away:

The away jersey is a black version of their home, it is not actually a jersey they have ever worn in a game. Honestly I just thought it looked better than what they actually used to wear. This would be replacing their (also horrible) current away.

Alternate:

The alternate is actually the away jersey from their glory days. I like this jersey, I just think it'd be better as an alternate ya know?

faoTxBM.png

Next up will be the Rochester Mayo Spartans.

Next up we have the fourth and final Rochester High School, the Rochester Mayo Spartans.

Mayo High School

Nickname: Spartans

Enrollment: 1,620

Rival(s): Rochester John Marshall, Rochester Century, Rochester Lourdes

State Tournament Appearances: 7 (1982, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2000)

Home:

I quite like the Spartans current home, but I thought it could be better. As much as I love scripts, this one just doesn't work for me, I opted to use the Gophers M that they have used for years and years instead. The striping is almost the same as their current jersey, but I move up the hem stripe and change the shoulders to green so the jersey isn't quite as light.

Away:

The away jersey is a green version of the home, it is not too different than their current away which is very similar to the Stars dark jersey. The new striping is the same as the home, this reduces the amount of white that make their current away look muddled. I also get rid of the double outline on the logo and just go gold with a white outline, this is mimicked on the numbers as well.

Alternate:

THROWBACK TIME!!! The alternate is a throwback to what Mayo wore back in 1982 when they made their first State Tournament appearance.

Mp9kAzq.png

Next up will be the Winona Winhawks to close out the Big 9 Conference.

Finishing off the Big 9 Conference we have our 12th and final team, the Winona Winhawks.

Winona Senior High

Nickname: Winhawks

Enrollment: 966

Rival(s): Red Wing

State Tournament Appearances: 1 (1952)

Home:

The Winhawks current home is just the Bruins jerseys with orange and Winhawks diagonal across the front. I decided to keep the shoulders like their current jerseys but change the striping a bit. The stripes are actually the same as the sock stripes on their current jersey, but the reason I picked this stripe style is because it is what they used on their jerseys back in 1952 when they made their only trip to the state tournament. I replaced Winhawks with Winona on the front of the sweater because I think "Winhawks" is too long of a word and looks weird on a jersey whereas Winona is short enough that it looks good IMO.

Away:

The away jersey is a black version of the home, their current away is almost the same, I just made the same changes I had made on the home and applied them to the away.

Alternate:

I went a little wild with the alternate for Winona, I knew I wanted it to be orange, but didn't have a lot of good jerseys from their past to get inspired by. I decided to take the stripe from the hem and blow it up and make it a chest stripe. I then put their W Hawk logo in the stripe, moving him away from the shoulders. I think this is a good "modern" alternate jersey that is classic enough that it isn't an eyesore.

Xn3aoRl.png

Next up I will do the Big South Conference, beginning with the Fairmont Cardinals.

Archived