Redesigning Minnesota High School Hockey

Section30

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Ted Cunningham said:

Hey Section30, sorry if I missed this in the fine print: Are the scripts you have on these sweaters actual scripts used by the teams at various points in their histories, or are you creating them?

The scripts I use have at one point in time been used by that team, a couple of them have been taken from other sports teams at that school though.

And thank you, I'm glad you're enjoying the series!

Leading off the Big South Conference are the Fairmont Cardinals.

Fairmont Junior Senior High

Nickname: Cardinals

Enrollment: 540

Rival(s):

Class: A

State Titles: 0

State Tournament Appearances: 0

Home:

The Cardinals current home is a mess. I decided to completely start over, giving them a new stripe style that uses both their darker red and black. The shoulders are now solid red and squared off rather than the complicated mess their current jerseys have.

Away:

The away jersey is a red version of the home, it is replacing their current away.

Alternate:

For the alternate I decided to give them the jersey that a hockey playing cardinal is wearing on their scoreboard. It could be considered a fauxback.

lzc3S1c.jpg

Next up will be the Luverne Cardinals, the second team in this league with that name.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

Sticking with the Cardinal name, we head over to Luverne.

Luverne Senior High

Enrollment: 384

Rival(s): Marshall

State Tournament Appearances: 2 (2014, 2017)

Home:

Luverne's old home is almost perfect in my opinion, I just don't like the shoulders . So that's what I changed! I removed the phantom yoke in favor of blocked off red shoulders with their L logo on them. I also kept the beautiful "Luverne" script on the front. This is replacing their (also good) current home.

Away:

This jersey is just a straight up color swap. The only thing that didn't change color was the collar. This is also replacing their current away which is also pretty good, just not what I picture for them.

Alternate:

I really do still like their current home so I keep it here as the alternate jersey. I do change it slightly by removing the number on the upper chest and the shoulder logos.

knZ7kcV.jpg

Next up will be the Redwood Valley Cardinals. (I know this is out of order, but I just want to show just how ridiculous it is that three teams in the same conference share a nickname)

As someone from the area, I just thought I'd say that Fairmont historically hasn't been in the same conference as Luverne and Redwood.  Their two conferences merged about 5 years ago, so that accounts in some part for the three Cardinals in the conference.  Your redesigns have been consistently great throughout, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the teams from the part of the state where hockey plays third fiddle to wrestling and basketball!

2 hours ago, scottyeagle said:

As someone from the area, I just thought I'd say that Fairmont historically hasn't been in the same conference as Luverne and Redwood.  Their two conferences merged about 5 years ago, so that accounts in some part for the three Cardinals in the conference.  Your redesigns have been consistently great throughout, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the teams from the part of the state where hockey plays third fiddle to wrestling and basketball!

Thanks for letting me know, I had no idea about the merger!

And thanks, glad you're enjoying it thus far, feel free to let me know about the upcoming teams!

Next up we have the third and final Cardinals, the Redwood Valley Cardinals.

Redwood Valley High School

Enrollment: 346

Rival(s): 

Home:

Redwood Valley's current jerseys are... horrible. I'm starting from scratch for the Cards. I decided to use colored sleeves and put more emphasis on black for Valley in an attempt to separate their look from the other Cardinals. Redwood Valley is diagonal across the chest and the Cardinal head is on the shoulders.

Away:

The away is a black version of the home, the sleeves remain the same but the body is now black.

Alternate:

I decided to make a set from the Cardinals, making the alternate a red version of the home and away. It is a color swapped version of the away with the Cardinal head logo on the chest instead of the text.

es1rGY2.jpg

Next up will be the Minnesota River Bulldogs.

Next up we have the Minnesota River Bulldogs, a combined team who just made their first state tournament appearance.

Le Sueur-Henderson High School, Le Center High School, Tri City United High School, St. Peter High School

Nickname: Bulldogs

Enrollment: 1,276 combined

Rival(s): Marshall

State Tournament Appearances: 1 (2019)

Home:

The Bulldogs current home is pretty good IMO, so I based the set off of it. I just don't like that it is silver, I prefer them as a black blue and white team so the home jersey is white now. The stripes are the exact same as the current home.

Away:

The away is a blue version of the home, the stripes don't change at all. This is replacing their current away.

Alternate:

For the alternate I decided to make a set by giving them a black jersey with Bulldogs diagonally across the front of the jersey and the Rangers style shield on the shoulders. The striping also remains exactly the same as the home and away.

nEoHCO4.jpg

Next up will be the Marshall Tigers (I'm an idiot and completely passed over them without realizing).

Up next are the Marshall Tigers.

Marshall Senior High

Nickname: Tigers

Enrollment: 814

Rival(s): Minnesota River, Hutchinson

State Tournament Appearances: 1 (2013)

Home:

For the Tigers I went full on fauxback. I was inspired by the tigers current jerseys I just decided to ramp up the old school look. Thick stripes taking up big chunks of the jersey with a vintage script from their baseball jerseys.

Away:

The away is a orange version of the home, the stripes are unchanged. This is replacing their current away which is a orange version of the Blackhawks jersey (you can kinda see it in the picture I linked, but there aren't any good pictures of it.)

Alternate:

The alternate is a black version of the home and away, the stripes are slightly adjusted to make it look better IMO. The script is also replaced with the diagonal Tigers from their current home.

RSxH93x.jpg

Next up will be the New Ulm Eagles.

Next up are the strongest team in the conference in my opinion, the New Ulm Eagles.

New Ulm High School

Nickname: Eagles

Enrollment: 646

Rival(s):

State Tournament Appearances: 6 (1992, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2019)

Home:

I actually really like New Ulm's current home, I just think that basing it off of their beautiful away would be better. That's exactly what I did in this concept. It is just a color swapped version of their current away. I kept the Gothic number font because it is just so amazing.

Away:

No changes to their current away, it is a great look.

Alternate:

The alternate is a black jersey with the striping and shoulders based on their current home. The Eagle logo gets put on the chest instead of the New Ulm text.

jdUH7KX.jpg

Next up will be the Waseca Bluejays.

Marshall’s jerseys look fantastic! That orange jersey is one of your best! However the New Ulm set isn’t great. The black and the purple are really cluttered on your look, especially where the black and purple are touching. Like the white jersey’s sleeve and sock pattern is great, but the chest stripes seems to really run into each other. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Next up are the Waseca Bluejays.

Waseca Junior and Senior High

Nickname: Bluejays

Enrollment: 621

Rival(s):

Home:

I couldn't really see what the high school team uses so instead I based this set on the uniforms worn by the Waseca youth hockey teams. The only change I made was making the yellow on the shoulders only on the front and back.

Away:

Like the home, the away is almost the same as the current away.

Alternate:

Keeping with the others, the alternate is also almost the same as the current. The Bluejay sans-circle logo on the front of the jersey. The only change I made was fixing the striping so that it matches the home and away jerseys.

WJqCneG.jpg

Next up will be the Windom Eagles.

Up next we have the Windom Area Eagles.

Windom Senior High and Jackson County Central Senior High

Enrollment: 282

Rival(s):

Home:

So after doing some digging I could not find the eagles current home, and their old jerseys aren't very good. So I decided to base the home jersey off of their very good current away. The striping is two blocks of color each taking half of the total stripe. The Windom "script?" remains on the chest, minus the Buffalo stripe things which cluttered the text IMO. The shoulders and collar are blue and the helmet remains gold. For the text and numbers I decided to use the weird backwards drop shadow like it is in their logo.

Away:

Almost unchanged from their current away, just minus the Buffalo dashes on the Windom text, and the new numbers.

Alternate:

The alternate is a gold jersey completing the set. It is essentially a color swapped version of the home, but the Wisconsin W logo replaces the Windom script in the chest.

aAwftCy.jpg

Next up will be the Worthington Trojans.

11 hours ago, Section30 said:

Up next we have the Windom Eagles.

Windom Senior High

Enrollment: 282

Rival(s):

Home:

So after doing some digging I could not find the eagles current home, and their old jerseys aren't very good. So I decided to base the home jersey off of their very good current away. The striping is two blocks of color each taking half of the total stripe. The Windom "script?" remains on the chest, minus the Buffalo stripe things which cluttered the text IMO. The shoulders and collar are blue and the helmet remains gold. For the text and numbers I decided to use the weird backwards drop shadow like it is in their logo.

Away:

Almost unchanged from their current away, just minus the Buffalo dashes on the Windom text, and the new numbers.

Alternate:

The alternate is a gold jersey completing the set. It is essentially a color swapped version of the home, but the Wisconsin W logo replaces the Windom script in the chest.

aAwftCy.jpg

Next up will be the Worthington Trojans.

Man, that's a great look.  Technically it is Windom Area, as they are combined with Jackson County Central for hockey.

Rounding out the Big South Conference are the Worthington Trojans.

Worthington High School

Enrollment: 870

Rival(s):

Home:

The Trojans current home is a good base so I went from there. I decided to use their classic Trojan logo on the front of the jersey and decided to embrace the silver the team uses in their logos in the jersey by using it between the red and black on the stripes. The shield logo is on the shoulders  which are now black.

Away:

The away is a red version of the home, the stripes are white, silver and red and the shoulders are still black.

Alternate:

The alternate is a black jersey with the shield logo on the front, it is based on their girls jerseys but the striping is consistent with the home and away.

H3T2TO1.jpg

Up next will be the Central Lakes Conference, beginning with the Alexandria Cardinals.

Heading back up north we have the Alexandria Cardinals leading off the Central Lakes Conference.

Alexandria Area High School

Enrollment: 1,211

Rival(s): Fergus Falls, Brainerd, Sartell-St. Stephen

State Tournament Appearances: 5 (1992, 1996, 2010, 2011, 2018)

Home:

Alex's current home is pretty boring, it's just the Blackhawks white jersey with the Arizona Cardinals logo on the front. So I completely ditched that jersey in favor of something more in line with their past. I decided to promote their youth logo to the front of the varsity sweaters while the old school A sits on the shoulders and the Arizona Cardinal is completely gone. The double outline on the shoulders is reduced to a single outline.

Away:

The away is a red version of the home, because a team named the Cardinals should have a red jersey. It is just a color swapped version of the home otherwise.

Alternate:

The alternate is a throwback which also happens to be the Cards current away. I did make some tweaks though. I reduced the double outline on the shoulders to a single outline, added the Cardinal logo to the shoulders, and fixed the striping on the socks.

lyYo1pe.jpg

Next up will be the Brainerd Warriors.

Next up we have the Brainerd Warriors who are coming off their best season in their teams history, making the section finals.

Brainerd High School

Nickname: Warriors

Enrollment: 1,862

Rival(s): Bemidji, Alexandria, Moorhead

Class: AA

Home:

Brainerd's current jerseys are a bit too over the top for a home and away in this day and age, especially because they aren't throwbacks (to my knowledge). So instead I opted to base the home jersey off of the girls team's jerseys. I decided to use their Warrior helmet logo on the front of the jersey replacing the Capitals style logo they use on their current home.

Away:

The away is a blue version of the home, it is also based on the girls jersey. It uses the roundel logo on the chest replacing the helmet.

Alternate:

The alternate is just their current home. It is a good jersey, but I think it would work best as an alternate rather than a home.

Apwi9nm.jpg

Next up will be the Fergus Falls Otters.

Archived