Wideright vs. the XFL (New Tampa Brand added 9/29)

WideRight

I thought I would try my hand at designing uniforms for the XFL now that the names and logos have been released.  I plan to do this in 2 waves.  The first wave will be limited to current logos, names and colors.  After I have completed all 8 teams, I will try my hand at reimagining the XFL with different logos, names and colors, but will limit myself to names which were on the XFL finalists lists.   

So, for now, the XFL as it currently is (or could be), starting with the helmets for each XFL team.  One quick note, I did my best to approximate the fonts used for each team name, but in some cases they do not match up exactly. 

spacer.png

And now the first 2 uniforms using the current names, logos, and colors. My take on the XFL is that they will try to blend some modern touches with a generally traditional look to give them a sense of legitimacy without being stale.  With this in mind, don't expect a lot of crazy elements (chrome, lots of yokes, side panels, weird striping, etc.) but each uniform will likely have at least one element which gives it a distinct look. 

For DC it is the large logos on the shoulders, which are color-blocked opposite the main jersey color, and the inclusion of the DC flag as a stripe element on the pants. 

For Dallas it is the skewed numbers to match the lettering in their name.  I also included a "renegade shift" in the pant stripe. 

So, Dallas and DC are first up. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

These look really good. I definitely think the XFL will go in a direction similar to what you are doing, at least I hope so. The shoulder caps being a different color, as is the case in both DC uniforms and the away uniform for Dallas, will most likely be a constant through most of the XFL uniforms. It’s what the AAF did, and I think the XFL will in that way follow suit.

image.png

Love what you did the Guardians and Dragons, and the Defenders logo looks so much better without the oddly shaped shield.

I also like the BattleHawks helmet. I do wonder how it would look if the sword from the logo also was in the center like a center stripe, but that ended in a point rather than being a complete stripe. Just an idea.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

21 hours ago, WideRight said:

I thought I would try my hand at designing uniforms for the XFL now that the names and logos have been released.  I plan to do this in 2 waves.  The first wave will be limited to current logos, names and colors.  After I have completed all 8 teams, I will try my hand at reimagining the XFL with different logos, names and colors, but will limit myself to names which were on the XFL finalists lists.   

So, for now, the XFL as it currently is (or could be), starting with the helmets for each XFL team.  One quick note, I did my best to approximate the fonts used for each team name, but in some cases they do not match up exactly. 

spacer.png

These helmets are sweet. Wraparound for the Guardians reminds me of the Bulls and the Panthers(both USFL teams) at the same time. Gorgeous shade of blue for the Battlehawks and i really hope the real life Roughnecks have a silver lid simply to pay homage to the old 60's Oilers. Dragons helmet is sick too!.  

Only critisism and really its not critisism, I would recommend on the Dallas Renegades logo a thin white outline to make it stand out more.....

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

12 hours ago, WideRight said:

And now the first 2 uniforms using the current names, logos, and colors. My take on the XFL is that they will try to blend some modern touches with a generally traditional look to give them a sense of legitimacy without being stale.  With this in mind, don't expect a lot of crazy elements (chrome, lots of yokes, side panels, weird striping, etc.) but each uniform will likely have at least one element which gives it a distinct look. 

For DC it is the large logos on the shoulders, which are color-blocked opposite the main jersey color, and the inclusion of the DC flag as a stripe element on the pants. 

For Dallas it is the skewed numbers to match the lettering in their name.  I also included a "renegade shift" in the pant stripe. 

So, Dallas and DC are first up. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

If the official uniforms end up looking as good as these i'll be estatic. Very well done!!

Excellent job on the Dallas balancing the 3 colors making the baby blue the main focus. 

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

Next up, following alphabetical order, Houston and LA.  I am not entirely sold on either of these, so I might revisit them.

Houston:  Really wanted to get a derrick feature in the uniforms, but the derrick widens so much that it does not really work as a stripe on either the jersey or the pants, so I just utilized the top of the derrick as a secondary logo on the pants.  Also wanted to avoid anything that looked too much like the NFL Texans, because the colors are very similar. 

LA: Tried an orange jersey, hated it.  DC is red,so I wanted to avoid that, so I went with black.  The claw slash becomes the key feature.  Still not sure about when to use black vs. white in some elements, so I may come back to this one. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Time for the third set. New York and St. Louis are next up. 

New York:  With LA already using a black jersey I decided to emphasize the grey a bit more, with black components and only minimal use of red.  I also wanted to keep the multiple stripe motif from the helmet, but with some variations.  You will notice that I also added a NGY monogram.  Since several teams already have monograms or letter-based logos (LA, HOU, TBY) I thought perhaps adding a monogram would work to have more than 1 logo.  I tried to blend the Empire State Building with a "gargoyle" reminiscent font. 

St. Louis:  I knew I wanted to emphasize the lighter blue, with darker blue and silver accents.  As per a suggestion above, I added the sword as a helmet stripe.  I also created a Gateway Arch secondary logo and tried to incorporate the arch in to the sleeve/shoulder stripe pattern.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

And the final 2 teams, which turned out to be the toughest.  Next up, what I wish the team names, colors and logos would have been.   But first, let's finish off the XFL's actual teams. 

Seattle:  I really wanted to incorporate all 4 colors (navy, forest, leaf green and the salmony orange/red) and that simply did not work for me with a more conservative or old school design, so I decided to do something more modern, along the lines of the Tennessee Titans.  That, plus the lack of a secondary logo for Seattle, made this one tough, but I am happy with the results. I have to say I love the subtle hint towards the Seahawks old Green-Blue twin stripe on the pants (with more color and flair). 

Tampa:  The issue here was the color palette.  The two greens and pale yellow were tough to balance out.  I ended up having to use black as a 4th color, which seems to be what the logo designers did with the V logo, so i don't think it is a total departure.  I wanted to repeat the forked tongue motif from the helmet as well.  Decided to simplify the jersey and just use the V logo on the sleeves.  This is probably the one I would be most likely to change in the future. But, in a way this jersey/pants combo evokes the popular and eye-jarring look of the WLAF's Orlando Thunder, which I think is a good thing to do in central Florida. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

And now, phase 2.  In this phase I will tweak, adjust, redub, relocate or completely overhaul the 8 XFL franchises.  In some cases only a minor change (colors, name) are needed, in others I may swap identities or relocate nicknames.  Basically I think the XFL was just slightly off on several of their identities and I am going to rectify that with some adjustments.   No relocation, I keep the same 8 cities, but everything else is fair game.

First up are the two Texas teams.  In both cases the names and logos are solid but the color schemes are off.  Why give Dallas the Love Ya Blue.  I gave it back to Houston, but  swapped the red for orange to hopefully hold off the NFL lawyers.  So, Dallas needed a new color scheme.  Rather than give them the Houston Navy & Red, too close to the Cowboys, I swapped out the colors of the LA Wildcats and gave Dallas a Red, Black and Orange scheme, a radical departure from the city's other teams. 

So, Dallas and Houston reimagined (recolored really):

spacer.png

spacer.png

The next two XFL team changes involve an identity swap.  I hate the name "BattleHawks" and decided that the STL identity makes more sense for DC, while the DC logo, with its lightning bolts, would work well in STL. so they swapped, but that is not all.  I wanted to thumb the STL noses at the NFL, so I brought in a color scheme just reminiscent enough of the rams (Purple instead of Navy).   And for DC, the name Defenders seems a weaker option than one of the other XFL names under consideration, so I swapped it out for Sentinels. 

DC and STL:

spacer.png

spacer.png

And 2 more,since I have them done already.  Seattle is close to great, but I just don't think Dragons works as well for the city as a sea-themed monster, so we went with Sea Serpents, and I loved the old Matt Hasslebeck era Hawks' colors, so I brought them back. 

LA becomes the recipient of an identity swap as I opted to make them the Vipers.  It harkens more to the desert, the old Viper Club (River Phoenix died there, but it is also an LA Icon) and I had to bring in a new color scheme to feel a bit more LA.  My only concern here is that there is such a U. of Miami or FAMU vibe that it still does not feel quite LA to me.  For now we stick with it, the LA Vipers (so, clearly Tampa must need a new identity.  That is to come.)

spacer.png

spacer.png

The last 2: NY and Tampa.

NY:  I really think they swung and missed with Guardians, when Gargoyles is just cooler, so I swapped out the name.  And while I was at it, I decided that swapping out the red, which does not work on the gargoyle teeth, with a green from oxidized copper (like the Statue of Liberty) would be better.  So, minor changes, but a new name.

TAMPA:  Here I had to create a whole new identity, since the Vipers name went to LA.  I decided not to do a swap with Wildcats, because that is such a generic name.  When you realize that the XFL Tampa team will be playing in the Buccaneers' stadium, the one with a huge frickin' pirate ship in one end zone, it just seems clear that you better find a way to incorporate a pirate theme.  I went with "Plunder" as my name.  I know some folks hate non-count nouns, but the name works well for Tampa, in a way that Plunderers would not.  For colors I decided to add a new color to the XFL, metallic gold, or Gold Dubloon, as the Plunder will call it.  I matched that up with a dark (not quite navy) blue and a pale blue.  The red on the parrot is only in the logo.  Too many colors this way.  I could see this team becoming the official team of Parrotheads everywhere while still linking well with the history of the Tampa/St. Pete region.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

I love the updates. Houston and Dallas are perfect, and the rest of the redesigns look good as well. I feel like "Lightning" is kind of weird for a St. Louis team (as someone that isn't from St.L fwiw) but the color scheme is great and mocks the failed St. Louis Stallions NFL bid. 

Edit: New York is up there with Dallas and Houston for me and the Sentinels is a callback to The Replacements (which is awesome).

I love the Tampa Bay Plunder name for some reason. Everything about the identity is great, except the main logo. The bird and treasure chest logo is really weak. Every other logo looks great, but the chest is iffy. Something closer to Bucco Bruce would be more appropriate. I do like the Bird TB logo tho...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Archived