MLB Stadium Saga: Oakland/Tampa Bay/Southside

So_Fla

35 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

A's fans want John Fisher to sell, but he's not going to do that because he's a cheapskate.  I think the only way he sells is if he does a "Daniel Snyder" and either he sells the team or MLB forces him to because of it.  Not spending money on the actual team won't make Fisher sell the team.  

Nobody has any cause to force him to sell, so I see no chance of him doing so unless the Vegas deal just utterly falls completely apart and he just wants to be rid of the team. That seems like it has little to no chance of happening at this point.

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

A's fans want John Fisher to sell, but he's not going to do that because he's a cheapskate. 

I agree that Fisher is not going to sell. But his refusal to sell cannot be on account of his being a "cheapskate", as a sale would get him about $1 billion in profit as compared to his purchase price.

• Like 2

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

31 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I agree that Fisher is not going to sell. But his refusal to sell cannot be on account of his being a "cheapskate", as a sale would get him about $1 billion in profit as compared to his purchase price.

True, but if he keeps the team I have serious doubts that he'll spend any money for high profile players, even after the move to Las Vegas.  Vegas probably hopes he spends but I have my doubts. 

17 minutes ago, Walk-Off said:

Hypothetically, even if they succeeded in him selling the A's (and getting an expansion team in Vegas in return), in about 10-15 years, you could probably copy and paste this article, swapping out "Las Vegas" with whichever city they're trying to relocate to to get out of the Coliseum.

13 minutes ago, McCall said:

Hypothetically, even if they succeeded in him selling the A's (and getting an expansion team in Vegas in return), in about 10-15 years, you could probably copy and paste this article, swapping out "Las Vegas" with whichever city they're trying to relocate to to get out of the Coliseum.

If they are still in the coliseum in that time it will be filled to the brim in human feces.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Amazing how quickly the city can whip up and approve this piece of meaningless legislation yet it and Alameda County have been stalling and dragging their feet on legislation that would have actually accomplished this for decades.

• Like 4
  • Dislike 1

VmWIn6B.png

9 minutes ago, LMU said:

Amazing how quickly the city can whip up an approve this piece of meaningless legislation yet it and Alameda County have been stalling and dragging their feet on legislation that would have actually accomplished this for decades.

Yeah, I mean, the "A's relocation" possibility has been there for about 20 years now, at least. Yet nothing has ever come to fruition IN Oakland. I think there are people who are generally against relocation who may actually not side with Oakland here. It's getting a little old and repetitive.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, McCall said:
43 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The city and the team were on the verge of a deal when the team showed bad faith by blindsiding the city with an announcement of a "binding" agreement on the first Las Vegas site back in April.

Where did you see that?

In every report by Brodie Brazil and Casey Pratt, and in the Oakland mayor's comments to Pratt.

5 minutes ago, McCall said:
30 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

In every report by Brodie Brazil and Casey Pratt, and in the Oakland mayor's comments to Pratt.

Yeah, none of them are biased.

Oh, stop. They are serious reporters who back up everything they report. Of course they both are angry that the team will probably move; but their reporting is undeniably credible.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The exact opposite of Zennie Abraham, who blames the City of Oakland instead of the A's and is now in favor of the A's move to Oakland (FWIW, he is a strong supporter of Jameis Winston.  So much so, that he feels that any Winston slander is racist).  He also supports publicly financed stadiums.  

8 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

The exact opposite of Zennie Abraham, who blames the City of Oakland instead of the A's and is now in favor of the A's move to Oakland (FWIW, he is a strong supporter of Jameis Winston.  So much so, that he feels that any Winston slander is racist).  He also supports publicly financed stadiums.  

Yeah, he's a goofball.  More important, he has no journalistic responsibilities, unlike Brazil and Pratt, who work for network outlets.

37 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Yeah, he's a goofball.  More important, he has no journalistic responsibilities, unlike Brazil and Pratt, who work for network outlets.

He doesn't live in Oakland anymore either.  He lives in Atlanta to take care of his aging mother.  He also claims to be an expert on how NFL offenses should go (even creating his own offense) and was furious when A's fans directed their anger at John Fisher when they should have directed their anger at the City of Oakland.  Zennie even defended DeShaun Watson and didn't believe that he did anything wrong.  He even made an outrageous claim that he thinks that the Golden State Warriors would be sold and moved to Las Vegas.

I don't live out in the Bay Area, but I know that Brodie Brazil hosts A's Pre and Post Game shows for NBC Sports Bay Area because he posts those videos on his YouTube channel, so he has every right to be angry and sad about the situation because he loses one of his sources of income (he does the same with the Sharks) when the A's move to Las Vegas.  

Again, I have serious doubts about whether or not John Fisher will actually spend any money on the team once the move is finalized.  He absolutely will not spend like the Rangers did to win the World Series, nor do I think he'll build the A's the same way the Mariners and Astros have done.  I am going to make a bold prediction and say that the Mariners will make it to their first World Series before Fisher spends any money to improve the on-the-field product.  

On 10/27/2023 at 12:23 AM, Walk-Off said:

The last time that I can recall any semblance of an active campaign for a Charlotte MLB team was at least two decades ago.  Since then, I have had an impression that the Charlotte area's business elite, media, and general public have all been resting on their proverbial laurels and assuming rather strongly and stubbornly that their metropolis has had a lock on getting an MLB team either through a relocation or from the next batch of expansion franchises.  To use a metaphor inspired by Aesop, I think that in terms of having a future as the home of an MLB club, Charlotte has been a hare while the likes of Nashville, Portland, Salt Lake City, and -- to use an example from within North Carolina -- Raleigh have all been tortoises.

The owner of the Carolina Hurricanes has made clear his desire to get an MLB team for NC. He has said that it could be in either Raleigh or Charlotte though.

On 11/5/2023 at 7:19 AM, GhostOfNormMacdonald said:

It’s made all the more stupid that the team’s named after a freaking  state and could just have easily been the Minneapolis Vikings if not to appease Little Brother Across the Mississippi.                           I tried to quote @LMU but the     mobile site is messed up  and keeps randomly deleting stuff.                  as a fan of the first two teams to use a state for its name, I'm fine with teams choosing their geographic marker                As long as it's obvious what state(s*) the team is in                     * see Carolina Panthers            

I prefer state over city every time if the city is named for the state. Minnesota Vikings > Minneapolis Vikings. Indiana Colts > Indianapolis Colts. Oklahoma Thunder > Oklahoma City Thunder. And so on and so forth. But other than that, neither way really bothers me. I do think the more encompassing names just make more people feel like fans, which is a good thing. I would assume people in Maine, for exaple, associate more with the New England Patriots than the Boston Celtics even though they're farther away but I could be totally off on that.

Damn though, the Raleigh Hurricanes would've been something. Having a major league team legitimizes a city and a metro as a serious large city but all that is a waste if no one knows they're there. Can't tell you how many people I've met assume the Hurricanes play in Charlotte. Doesn't help that the far more known Carolina Panthers share a location name but play in a completely different city. It also doesn't help the city that there's no adequate highway access to downtown Raleigh which has turned the area into sprawl central, but that's a different discussion.

But yeah, the city of Raleigh had nothing to do with the financing or building of PNC Arena so they didn't even have a seat at the table for the name discussion. The state financed the entire taxpayer-funded portion of the arena so they had no motive to push for the "Raleigh" name. And I guess the Canes decided they didn't want to be known by a location no one had heard of. Even less so in 1997 than now.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

I'd wager when the average American hears "Raleigh", all they think of "Raleigh-Durham Airport", which would raise the ire of a former member here, but is likely true.

Raleigh's population density, while higher than I would have thought (3,148 / sq mi) is still on the low side, if not the lowest in MLB.  On par with the mostly strip-mall cities in the south west.  Without public transit (other than a tiny bus system), asking people who need to drive from sparse suburbs to fill a 40k stadium 81 times a year is a recipe for problems, especially if/when the team isn't doing well (and as we've seen, even when a team is doing well, that doesn't mean anyone will actually show up.)

• Like 4

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 hours ago, throwuascenario said:  I prefer state over city every time if the city is named for the state                          Slightly (okay, super) pedantic, but it allows me to rant about MN history. TheMinnea- in Minneapolis actually comes from the Dakota word for waterfall Mnihaha instead of the Dakota word for water mni (where the Minne- in Minnesota comes from) . The original  spelling of Minneapolis was Minnehapolis, meaning waterfall city. Named after the only waterfall on the Mississippi, which allowed the city to become the milling capital of the US.                 Also, someone please fix typing on mobile