NBA City Series 2019 - Phoenix Suns

SSmith48

Sorry for the hiatus (again). But I'm back with what could be my favorite set of uniforms in this series: the Orlando Magic!

For a team with a TON of great potential for inspirations all over the city and region, the Magic have gone surprisingly tame and boring. So I decided to spice it up a bit with the two things Orlando is most known for!

Version 1: "GUARDIANS OF THE CASTLE":

This just makes sense. The Magic are sponsored by Disney, and Orlando is the home of the most well-known theme park in the world in Walt Disney World. So, of course there had to be a Disney themed uniform. This one takes cues from Cinderella Castle. which stands at the center of Magic Kingdom and is commonly seen across marketing for Disney. The color scheme of cream, gold, blue, and cyan is derived from the stonework and roofing of the castle. The side panels feature a banner shape, and are imposed with a "diamond" design found on one of the castle's roofs. Small gold details mimic the same on the castle, and the script wordmark emulated the Disney logo itself, without ripping it off.

This is what REAL Magic looks like.

YDQXqOw.png

Version 2: "FLORIDA CITRUS":

Orlando is also in the center of Citrus country. Oranges and Grapefruits are the most well known of the Florida citrus, and this industry has even inspired the naming of the Citrus Bowl (stadium and game). The Magic have slightly paid homage to it in their most recent iteration of a city uniform, but that doesn't give enough of a look to this industry. So I approached the idea from a different angle. The color scheme of orange and green are inspired by the colors of the fruit and the trees on which they grow. The font, while modern, was chosen because of its slight resemblance to leaves. Plus, it had a nice, flowing look that was perfect for the uniform. The uniform is topped off with a fun orange silhouette stripe down the side to nail the point home.

Be careful, the Juice is Loose!

KQ6sEIq.png

Next on our docket is a trip to the bay area!

2NAu33i.png I have been reading the comments and I hope to have some updates soon! I will probably get those out at the 1/3 mark possibly, but in the meantime let me know what you think!

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

17 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

Sorry for the hiatus (again). But I'm back with what could be my favorite set of uniforms in this series: the Orlando Magic!

For a team with a TON of great potential for inspirations all over the city and region, the Magic have gone surprisingly tame and boring. So I decided to spice it up a bit with the two things Orlando is most known for!

Version 1: "GUARDIANS OF THE CASTLE":

This just makes sense. The Magic are sponsored by Disney, and Orlando is the home of the most well-known theme park in the world in Walt Disney World. So, of course there had to be a Disney themed uniform. This one takes cues from Cinderella Castle. which stands at the center of Magic Kingdom and is commonly seen across marketing for Disney. The color scheme of cream, gold, blue, and cyan is derived from the stonework and roofing of the castle. The side panels feature a banner shape, and are imposed with a "diamond" design found on one of the castle's roofs. Small gold details mimic the same on the castle, and the script wordmark emulated the Disney logo itself, without ripping it off.

This is what REAL Magic looks like.

YDQXqOw.png

Version 2: "FLORIDA CITRUS":

Orlando is also in the center of Citrus country. Oranges and Grapefruits are the most well known of the Florida citrus, and this industry has even inspired the naming of the Citrus Bowl (stadium and game). The Magic have slightly paid homage to it in their most recent iteration of a city uniform, but that doesn't give enough of a look to this industry. So I approached the idea from a different angle. The color scheme of orange and green are inspired by the colors of the fruit and the trees on which they grow. The font, while modern, was chosen because of its slight resemblance to leaves. Plus, it had a nice, flowing look that was perfect for the uniform. The uniform is topped off with a fun orange silhouette stripe down the side to nail the point home.

Be careful, the Juice is Loose!

KQ6sEIq.png

Next on our docket is a trip to the bay area!

2NAu33i.png I have been reading the comments and I hope to have some updates soon! I will probably get those out at the 1/3 mark possibly, but in the meantime let me know what you think!

You did an amazing job with the Disney Magic jerseys. I have no doubt I would buy these. They really strike a nice balance of the team's name and the Disney brand. 

Another note, but the first Philly uniform screams Pittsburgh even though it's a 'Keystone' theme. I really like both Pistons sets too; small critique but I'd want to see the stripes fit the curves of the numbers a bit more on the back, instead of being cut right off. 

Dallas reminds me of Houston a little too much, but I love the incorporation of the Pegasus and the font on the front. Nice work 

I really like the Florida Citrus; a true visual experience and a really fun concept too! I get almost this Nickelodeon/90s vibe from it as the colours are so vivid and exciting.  

Guardians of the Castle seems the more safe route and the most realistic of the two. I highly doubt the Magic would dare even contemplating a Florida Citrus ifra such as this and that is a shame. 

Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; en orðstír deyr aldregi hveim er sér góðan getr.

Time for the Golden State Warriors! I have two simple ideas on tap for today, so without further adieu:

Version 1: "CHINATOWN":

Golden State has played around with the idea of an Asian-inspired City uniform before (twice), and while I realized it might be an overused concept, with their move to San Francisco, I thought maybe a Chinatown idea could be interesting. This idea might ultimately be too similar to the Rockets' uniform last year, but it has a few different things. The red, gold, and green color scheme is inspired by Chinatown's streets and the Dragon Gate. A Chinese pattern is sublimated into the base, and the traditional Warriors circle is appropriately dressed for the theme. A gold medallion with a traditional Chinese design and outlined in red and green. "Warriors" in Chinese (which has also appeared on another Warriors uniform) is inside this circle, and the numbering font helps to enhance the Chinese feel.

Straight from Chinatown comes a new look for Golden State.

TbwJpdX.png

Version 2: "GOLDEN GATE": 

Next on the list is an idea that I'm surprised the Warriors have not utilized: one of the most famous American landmarks in the Golden Gate Bridge. The color scheme focuses around a signature sight: the International Orange of the bridge and the pale coloring of fog (in this case a pale blue-gray). The gradient pinstripes are supposed to emulate the cables of the bridge fading into a dense fog, a unique and simple idea that helps to add an original feel to the uniform. Finally, the font is supposed to feel like the bridge: iconic, classic, bold, and strong. Together, this uniform helps to paint a scene that is common to the bridge, and in turn helps create an iconic look for the Warriors.

Through the fog rises these Guardians of the Bay.

O36JLbb.png

There is Golden State! As always let me know what you think! I have been working on updates/tweaks as suggested to various uniforms and I will show those at some point around the 1/3 mark. 

As for our next location, we are headed to the Most Famous Arena in the World:

Z78xwwh.png

Cheers until next time!

spacer.png

15 hours ago, Silence of the Rams said:

Um I do see a flaw in the golden gate ones and it's not because of design because it is dope. It's because if you look at their arena's Location. It's directly under the Bay Bridge not the Golden Gate. That's pretty much the only reason why they wouldn't wear these

While I do realize this, there is a few reasons I picked the Golden Gate Bridge, namely that it was easier to build a uniform off of, it's more well known internationally, and I felt that that it was more deserving of a City uniform. It was just a better choice from a recognition standpoint.

And speaking of recognition, we have the New York Knicks up next!

There was a TON of potential ideas for NY, but I chose some more... unorthodox ideas that I thought could be neat to do.

Version 1: "NEW AMSTERDAM":

This uniform reaches far back into New York's history for inspiration. The city was founded as a Dutch settlement known as New Amsterdam, but of course when the English took it over, it changed to its current name. Simply put, this uniform simply takes cues from history rather than fully immerse itself in it. The orange, blue, and white color scheme is taken from the current flag of New York, and the orange base helps tie the uniform back to its Dutch roots (many Dutch national teams wear orange). New Amsterdam is written across the front as a tribute to the former name. To add one more touch to the uniform, the three crosses from the Amsterdam flag make an appearance on the shorts.

These are the New Amsterdam Knicks.

Ml2HNGk.png

Version 2: "CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS"

First, I imagine this uniform will probably get some flack, but it's an experimental idea I wanted to try out. This is inspired by one of New York's nicknames: "The City That Never Sleeps", a reference to that energy and activity that goes on in America's largest city. The dark gray and black of the color scheme help to set a dark and nocturnal base, while the volt yellow is meant to mimic the lighting of the city. Gradients across various parts of the uniform (striping, lettering, and font) help to visualize light fading into the night, in a way. The lettering and numbering font helps to tie up the uniform with a feel of neon lights, a retro-modern feel, or a classing art-deco vibe (a la the Empire State and Chrysler Buildings).

In this city, the grind never stops, and the Knicks never rest.

lr6oAoy.png

There are the Knicks looks! I tried to get a but more abstract here (especially with #2), but I like the unique styling of both. Of course, let me know what you think!

Next up, we'll *race* on down to the *Queen City*!

4wwl4Jn.png

I'm also planning to take a break from releasing new uniforms for a post or two after Charlotte to unveil some tweaks and changes to some of the current uniforms that you all have suggested. Some are minute, others are more noticeable, but you all had some great suggestions!

Until next time!

spacer.png

1 hour ago, SSmith48 said:

While I do realize this, there is a few reasons I picked the Golden Gate Bridge, namely that it was easier to build a uniform off of, it's more well known internationally, and I felt that that it was more deserving of a City uniform. It was just a better choice from a recognition standpoint.

Oh I understand I'm not discounting that. I'm just saying a reason why they wouldn't wear them in real life that's all

It's much better to limit the gradient on your Knicks concept to just the stripes. Make the wordmark and the numbers solid neon, and you've got a winner.

I'm guessing that you might have applied Hendrick Motorsports designs on your NASCAR-inspired City uniform for Charlotte, since HMS headquarters is few blocks away from Charlotte Motor Speedway.

ORL: It’s Fine

GSW: Second one is kinda bland

NYK: HECK YES

(this opinion may be biased)

Great Work!

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

Alright, it's time for a team a lot of you have been waiting for: the Charlotte Hornets! Let's be honest, the Hornets have had some pretty forgettable looks, so I wanted to create some more fun looks.

Version 1: "CHECKERED VICTORY":

This is one of the most suggested ideas, and personally its one that makes sense for Charlotte. Charlotte is the epicenter of the most popular American motor sport in NASCAR. Everything from many of the great racing companies, to one of the most iconic speedways, to the NASCAR Hall of Fame is located in and around Charlotte and the state of North Carolina. This idea simplifies this theme to its most basic idea: the checkered flag. The mainly white uniform features a gradient checkered stripe down the side. The font chosen for the uniform is drawn from the italicized fonts used by many stock cars, while the same color number helps to add a quirky touch to the uniform.

Victory is just around the corner.

J1rFu7R.png

Version 2: "QUEEN CITY":

This uniform was inspired by Charlotte itself. The Queen City nickname is one of my favorites, so the idea of it as a uniform was a fun one. The green and blue color scheme is a nod to the *two* city flags of Charlotte, however these colors have been altered to be more sensible. The side pattern is an almost literal translation of the "Queen" part of the nickname, as it is designed to be a jewel or diamond like design. The font featured on the jersey was chosen for its regal and classic feel, and the lettering and numbering is blue trimmed in white. The final addition on the uniform is the Charlotte crown on the bottom of the shorts, to tie one last piece of the city into the set.

For the Queen City!

tCYRfi1.png

I will not post a teaser right now for the next team, as my next post will focus a lot on updates and tweaks to existing sets. But until then, let me know what you think!

spacer.png

I really like your New Amsterdam-take - I cant believe the Knicks hasnt gone that route yet as it makes so much sense! How about using Nieuw Amsterdam to really take it home? Queen city is gorgeous too; keep the concepts coming!

Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; en orðstír deyr aldregi hveim er sér góðan getr.

The Hornets look good, just two criticisms: not a huge fan of the gradient striping on the NASCAR one, and also not a fan of the paneling on the Queen City one. Other than that, fantastic work, and actually something that ties into the city, unlike every single official City jersey we've gotten.

the user formerly known as cdclt

Its finally time to get to the updates! Sorry for being quiet since Monday, but I had 2 internet outages this week and life just caught up with me. But I have implemented some of the updates that you all have suggested!

Atlanta:

The "Georgia Peach" uniform was well received, but one suggestion was to replace the peach-hawk logo with a number. I also like the logo a ton, so I made a series of possible tweaks: Just the wordmark, peach-hawk centered, peach-hawk to the side, and the original set, but the peach-hawk filled and a number placed inside it.

Spoiler

zB8p9wM.png

Cleveland:

This tweak has the rust-belt uniform in a slightly lighter shade of grey, and some reworking of coloring in some other parts.

Spoiler

VfsRtt9.png

Dallas:

I came up with a few new color combos for the "DFW" uniform, and I have decided to post my two favorites: Burnt Orange/Navy (Longhorns/Cowboys blend) and Brown/Vegas Gold (a more western vibe). Although, I'm not pleased with these, and I may ultimately need a new idea for this one.

Spoiler

c6O11y7.png

Detroit:

A small tweak to the "Shelby Blue" uniform by fixing the striping/back number interaction.

Spoiler

Q4BpMur.png

New York:

"New Amsterdam" now with Dutch spelling, and "City That Never Sleeps" with gradients eliminated from lettering/numbering and shorts logo.

Spoiler

1J78owH.png

Philadelphia:

"Keystone Gray" introduces navy and cream for a more refined/Philadelphia look (there was concern that it looked too Pittsburgh). "Phila Union" set features either navy or white outlining.

Spoiler

ffQtwSR.png

Well there are some of the tweaks. As the holidays roll on and I have to prepare for finals and such, there may not be as many posts, but I will get them out when I can... speaking of which, we are headed to Phoenix!

9ny9Xlr.png

Until next time!

spacer.png

Alright, it's time for the Suns to get some new looks. For the most part, Phoenix has always been somewhat consistent with their city looks, always following a "Los Suns" theme. But there is so much in Phoenix and Arizona for inspirations, so I decided to think out of the box here.

Version 1: "VALLEY OF THE SUN":

This look takes a few inspirations from Arizona and Phoenix. The maroon color base is taken from the Phoenix flag, while the copper is taken from the Arizona flag, and pays homage to the state's copper mining history. PHX is the front wordmark, in an attempt to help differentiate the look. The rays from the Arizona flag are also sublimated into the uniform, which is one of my favorite pieces. The uniform is finished off with the team's alternate logo on the shorts.

This is truly Arizona.

srayGRA.png

Version 2: "NATIVE ROOTS":

One of Arizona's strongest cultural pieces is the Native American populations of the area, such as the Navajo, Apache, and Yavapai tribes. This uniform takes cues from the cultures of these peoples. The main color is turquoise, a commonly used stone in native jewelry. The font on the uniform takes inspiration from Native American (specifically Navajo) textiles and weaving. The gradient orange band around the chest and shorts is inspired by a location that many Native American cultures hold dear: the Grand Canyon, while the different bands aim to somewhat replicate the layers of rock reflected in the Canyon.

This is for those who made this land.

9wXhXFx.png

There are the Suns! Make sure to let me know what you think!

Next up, we are headed to Wisconsin as we tackle the Bucks!

KAjmOfu.png

Until next time!

spacer.png

Good gawd that Cream City mark is a beaut!  Is that script original, or is it based on a font?

I'm also looking forward to the Harley uniform.  Milwaukee's motorcycle culture would make such a good basis for a team's identity, yet it's never been done apart from a short lived arena football team.

Archived