Expansion Baseball Teams

raysox

Sup?

I've gotten into playing Out of the Park Baseball again recently. If you don't know, it's like GM mode on a baseball video game that's on steroids, and you don't do the fun parts like actually playing.

With KBO coming back before MLB, I decided to start a save in Korea. I've had issues with a thin player pool, compounded by the fact that if a player isn't on a roster, they shrivel up and retire. i wanted to give the players a chance and set up a few teams that hopefully could turn up some diamonds in the rough from good play on an independent team. Being a psychopath, i found every decently sized stadium not being used by a KBO team full time and used that to place my teams.

My ultimate goal is to make a brand that could blend in with the current crop of teams.
DFS KBO: May 6 Cheat Sheet
Originally an independent league, I made a split league with the KBO minor league teams since they're at a comparable level. I've expanded real leagues like crazy before, but I love the pure identity of 10 teams playing eachother over and over and over. There's also an 8th team that is a team that folded in 1999, and not worth posting the graphics for.

Seoul Owls
Mokdong Baseball Stadium 10,500

South-Korea-Indy-Ball-Seoul-Owls.png

Pohang Hammers
Pohang Baseball Stadium 12,000

South-Korea-Indy-Ball-Pohang-Hammers.png

Jeju Colts
Jeju Ora Baseball Stadium 11,650

South-Korea-Indy-Ball-Jeju-Colts.png

Ulsan Arrows
Ulsan Munsu Baseball Stadium 12,088

South-Korea-Indy-Ball-Ulsan-Arrows.png

Chuncheon Cranes
Chuncheon Baseball Stadium 10,000

South-Korea-Indy-Ball-Chuncheon-Cranes.p

Cheongju Flames
Cheongju Baseball Stadium 10,500
South-Korea-Indy-Ball-Cheongju-Flames.pn

Gunsan Wings
Wolmyeong Stadium 12,000

South-Korea-Indy-Ball-Gunsan-Wings.png

Guest darkpiranha
16 hours ago, Midwest_surfer said:

I have taken it to mean when you have a ton of views and no comments that your designs are solid and there’s really nothing to critique. My favorites are the Hammers and the Arrows. They definitely seem like they fit the best with the current real teams.

Agreed.  They're all solid, with not a lot of feedback to give.  Plus it seems like this set is finished and even if we had any that it's not going to be considered.  I realize that no designer is obligated to implement any feedback, but at the same time, I don't want to just hear myself talk.  Personally, I usually only give specific feedback if it seems like the designer is genuinely interested in considering or trying out suggested ideas.   This set just feels solid and is here more as a final presentation.  Great stuff.   Go Arrows!

Haha thanks guys. Sorry if i came across as a dick posting about the view and reply count, it wasn't my intention. Just noticed it when I went to reply. I've been on the boards long enough to definitely notice that one off good comments get the thumbs up treatment. But always nice to hear feedback from stuff I'm confident in.

13 hours ago, ReesDaKing said:

The Cheongju Flames logo looks good, but it feels out of place among the other logos.I think the logo should be similar to the Ulsan Arrows, with some sort of shape surrounding the Flames wordmark.

Totally fair. I wanted to try something else for them and liked the idea of the wordmark, but I can throw it on a circle and dress it up to see if it makes it better. 

For what it's worth, there was some thinking behind the names of teams. As you can see, KBO teams more or less just pick a mascot that hands off between corporations. But as always, I did some research and found names that match the cities better. But also i made a list of names to possibly draw from in case I didn't find something good (Arrows Owls and Flames are the three)

Pohang is known for their steel industry thanks to POSCO being massive

Jeju Colts is the island off Korea and they have a specific breed of horses named Jeju Horses

Chuncheon is in the north of South Korea and the Crane is the national bird (this is my favorite team)

Gunsan has a military base and the home of the SK Air Force

As far as the league has gone, the one team not shown has been the best team over the last couple years. When i first expanded the league, I made the mistake of doing an expansion draft, so the two teams coming in got to poach the only players worth while on the teams. It's been nuked over the years but they're still on top. I recently decided to expand from 8 to 12 teams using teams that either formerly existed, or independently exist now. It'll be fun to watch the 12 teams battle it out and possibly develop some talent for me to steal.

Oh and if you're wondering what that other team looks like, look no further.

DlRCgOGU4AAGCFC.jpg

I remember seeing the Arrows, Owls, Hammers and Colts logos over on Twitter and really liking them. The Cranes, Owls and Arrows are my favorites.

Looking at them again, Pohang's branding doesn't look as bold as the others. It might be because of the Hammers having a thin font in black with a thin red outline with only the yellow inline trim across the bottom of the text to make it stand out. That text looks like it bleeds onto the black ring, and unlike Ulsan's where we also see black text over black, the white outline used on the Arrows logo is bold enough to stand out as a strong look.

I think having a bolder font or even swapping around the colors on the Hammers text could help them out. I'd love to see your takes on potential expansion teams outta the NPB down the road.

The Seoul Owls were so good that when I checked the KBO article on the main site here, I thought they forgot the Owls. I then realized they were a fake team that somehow just got burned into my mind as a real team.

Just about all of these look great, and you've really nailed the aesthetic of the league.

tinysig.jpg

8 hours ago, Jake3roo said:

The Seoul Owls were so good that when I checked the KBO article on the main site here, I thought they forgot the Owls. I then realized they were a fake team that somehow just got burned into my mind as a real team.

Just about all of these look great, and you've really nailed the aesthetic of the league.

I did the exact same thing, only with the Wings. I would pay good money for a Wings hat in reality.

Excellent work as always!

Hah! Thanks guys, that's so funny about the Owls. They're bad in my save but really got a kick out of thinking they're real

As far as the Hammers, I felt like their brand was pretty weak overall and wanted to pitch this concept to you all. The shape is a steel hammer, and the cap logo is an H and an Anvil. As well, here's a flames logo in a roundel which I like more.

South-Korea-Indy-Ball-new-logos.png

I like the idea behind including the anvil with the 'H', but just having it behind like that makes it seem like an afterthought to me. If the shape of the 'H' somehow followed the shape of the anvil, that might be better. Another thought: the negative spaces in the original 'H' are shaped a bit like sledgehammers. Maybe there's something to be done with that?

Really good stuff here! The Arrows and Colts are fantastic, the Crane might be my favorite logo of the bunch, it's so smooth. I envy your commitment to the project, sounds fun as hell in quarantine. I've avoided OOTP because I know it'll be a massive time suck. For the Hammers I agree with above, I prefer the original H and think it could be the addition of a hammer/anvil away from being awesome. I think the anvil is just throwing off the symmetry of the H and not flowing with it enough (though that quirk could be part of its charm too). I do think playing with that negative space in the H could yield some cool results, or just a hammer across the H. 

Also, those little Raiders baseballs are amazing and I wish every MLB team had a kawaii-like version of their mascots

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Hey thanks everyone! I felt like the original block H felt out of place, and ended up dropping it. It was picked to somewhat resemble the negative space hammers that you all suggested. BUT i think the hexagon shape on the new primary logo helped make a cooler looking shape.

Thoughts?

South-Korea-Indy-Ball-35.png

That is slick as hell. Great job matching the angles of the hammer with those of the serifs - it's the little details like that that really make a simple but great logo. If I had to nitpick I'd be curious how it would look with a thinner horizontal bar / less space between the two hammers, but I still love this version.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

On 6/27/2020 at 3:37 AM, raysox said:

Hey thanks everyone! I felt like the original block H felt out of place, and ended up dropping it. It was picked to somewhat resemble the negative space hammers that you all suggested. BUT i think the hexagon shape on the new primary logo helped make a cooler looking shape.

Thoughts?

South-Korea-Indy-Ball-35.png

My only nitpick would be...oh wait...it's perfect!

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

Archived