Charlotte FC announces name and logos

Waffles

8 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

... without the words or the year. Just the monogram in a roundel beneath the crown. Simplified.

I could see such a mark as part of the team's overall logo package. That said, I still believe the logo as rendered by speedy - with at least the CHARLOTTE FOOTBALL CLUB type - makes for a terrific badge.   

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

I could see such a mark as part of the team's overall logo package. That said, I still believe the logo as rendered by speedy - with at least the CHARLOTTE FOOTBALL CLUB type - makes for a terrific badge.   

I'll grant you that. I suppose, as a primary mark, it makes sense to include the type — although I still feel it looks cluttered here.

But for a jersey badge, I would dramatically simplify it. Miami, in my opinion, made a critical mistake by suffocating the superior flamingo shield into a roundel surrounded with most of its name. (It still says 'MIAMI' inside the shield, but it's far less cluttered.) They could have kept the noisy roundel as a primary but simplified the badge. Would've been smart.

A good corollary would be Tottenham, which has a primary mark that includes type, but wears just the cockerel standing atop a football as the jersey badge. It's unmistakably Tottenham, without the type reminder. 

But I will always prefer approaches like that of the Timbers or Wolverhampton, whose primary marks (and jerseys) aren't unnecessarily muddied up by words. Call me a visual purist. 

55 minutes ago, speedy said:

spacer.png

Thanks, speedy!

To my mind, this would be the best logo in all of Major League Soccer. Hands down, in either color way. Go with a primary kit comprised of a Mint Green jersey, Black shorts, and either Mint Green or Black socks . The change kit could consist of a White Jersey, Mint Green Shorts, and White socks. 

40 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

Thanks, speedy!

To my mind, this would be the best logo in all of Major League Soccer. Hands down, in either color way. Go with a primary kit comprised of a Mint Green jersey, Black shorts, and either Mint Green or Black socks . The change kit could consist of a White Jersey, Mint Green Shorts, and White socks. 

Really? It's a nice logo, but nothing special imo. I'm not a huge fan of how the monogram blends into the inner black circle or the font chosen for "Charlotte Football Club" and the crown looks like a knock-off Charlotte crown, not a good look for a discount mattress store in Matthews, much less for a professional sports team owned by one of the richest people in the state. The colors are quite nice, but I'm not a fan of any of the "fixes" people have put forward so far.

the user formerly known as cdclt

2 hours ago, QCS said:

Really? It's a nice logo, but nothing special imo.

Yes... really.

For starters, I'm of the opinion that there aren't a lot of truly outstanding team logos in Major League Soccer. On the contrary, most of the club badges strike me as either overwrought or underdone, with precious few finding the "sweet spot" between embracing excess on the one hand and trafficking in the banal on the other. This offering from speedy is a mark that not only manages to cohesively balance several elements in an attractive way, but - to my mind - does so far more effectively than the majority of existing MLS team crests manage to pull off.  

As for the specific points you raised, I like the manner in which the CLT monogram plays with the boundary between the inner circle and the negative space. It isn't as though the letters are rendered illegible. Further, I'd rather crown imagery in the logo pay homage to the host city's signature symbol than depict a royal headdress that shares little in common with the municipality's graphic diadem.

To each their own.            

25 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

Yes... really.

For starters, I'm of the opinion that there aren't a lot of truly outstanding team logos in Major League Soccer. On the contrary, most of the club badges strike me as either overwrought or underdone, with precious few finding the "sweet spot" between embracing excess on the one hand and trafficking in the banal on the other. This offering from speedy is a mark that not only manages to cohesively balance several elements in an attractive way, but - to my mind - does so far more effectively than the majority of existing MLS team crests manage to pull off.  

As for the specific points you raised, I like the manner in which the CLT monogram plays with the boundary between the inner circle and the negative space. It isn't as though the letters are rendered illegible. Further, I'd rather crown imagery in the logo pay homage to the host city's signature symbol than depict a royal headdress that shares little in common with the municipality's graphic diadem.

To each their own.            

I absolutely respect your opinion, especially on something as subjective as logos and the "best" in a league. I'm not knocking speedy's work or his skill, it's my personal opinion that this would occupy the same space the current CFC badge does: good, maybe great, but nothing outstanding. As for the crown, to me the crown tells me "we're too cheap to pay the city of Charlotte royalties for the actual symbol so we made it slightly different to avoid a lawsuit" whereas the crown in the real badge is unique and still serves as an icon relating to the city. Of course, both are inferior to just using the actual Charlotte crown, but assuming they weren't able to get the license for whatever reason, it's my personal opinion that coming up with a new one is better than making one that's slightly different. Additionally, it gets rid of the "Minted 2022" that the actual crest has that's entirely unique to it and would be perfect with mint in the color scheme, while also meddling with the coin shape that the logo was inspired by. I understand wanting to place the crown on top, but by doing so it's disconnected itself from the mint, which was clearly integral to the process that led to this brand. The color scheme you've suggested (which is very nice, by the way) is also another nod to the mint and the coins it produced, but those are meaningless if the actual references to the mint are removed. My suggestion? Slightly shrink the CLTFC mark in the middle, place "Charlotte FC" on top, "Minted 2022" on bottom, and the crown on the sides, where NYCFC's pentagon, Miami's stars, or Atlanta's lines would go. (Or, if you really want to reference the mint, don't place a crown on the sides and instead use a 6-pointed star, like coins from the Charlotte mint would.)

I don't want to get into a big argument, and analyzing speedy's concept has helped me to refine my own criticisms and preferences, and I definitely don't want to come off as rude, so I apologize if my response was mean-spirited. However, we simply share different opinions and this and that's ok! As you said, to each their own.

So with the another Football Club maybe it's time to change name of Major League Soccer to Major League Football? I'll probably never understand what is wrong with Soccer Club. Soccer is quite unique word so you should use it instead of forcefully trying to be european.

4r2eer.png

27 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

So with the another Football Club maybe it's time to change name of Major League Soccer to Major League Football? I'll probably never understand what is wrong with Soccer Club. Soccer is quite unique word so you should use it instead of forcefully trying to be european.

Well, I'll say that in this case FC is better than SC because there's only one thing SC could stand for in the Carolinas, and it's not Soccer Club.

20 minutes ago, QCS said:

Well, I'll say that in this case FC is better than SC because there's only one thing SC could stand for in the Carolinas, and it's not Soccer Club.

I actually didn't think of SC as a South Carolina so ok "FC" might be good for Charlotte, but what about others?

4r2eer.png

2 hours ago, pepis21 said:

I, for one, think that MLS teams should to be either all in or all out with Euro-style names. I think SC is a weird half compromise, like the team wanted to be European, but not too European.

17 hours ago, pepis21 said:

I actually didn't think of SC as a South Carolina so ok "FC" might be good for Charlotte, but what about others?

Couldn't tell ya. I don't have a problem with it, since the sport is known as "football" to most (not all) people around the world, but is distinctly not football in the States. To me, FC sounds better than SC, so maybe that's why most go with it? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2020 at 12:37 PM, QCS said:

Couldn't tell ya. I don't have a problem with it, since the sport is known as "football" to most (not all) people around the world, but is distinctly not football in the States. To me, FC sounds better than SC, so maybe that's why most go with it? 

I would have loved for them to use AFC just to silence both sides of the debate. I'm fine with the name, the only thing still bothering me is that they didnt go for more of the rounded/queen style crown instead. The four wards could have been four jewels instead of four spires. 

• 1 month later...

After a while I realized, when naming an MLS team, they seem to prioritize looking attractive to the world as opposed to just sports fans in America. I learned that as much as we gripe about Euro-inspired names, actual soccer fans in America seem to like it this way. They would tell you they were actually glad the Kansas City Wizards changed their name to Sporting KC.

Which I can understand. Sporting sounds a bit more dignified, to the ears of a sports fan from outside the US, anyway. Seems taking on more traditional identities helps convince the world to take us more seriously. After all, now that soccer is getting more popular in the US, I feel like we finally have something in common with the rest of the world.

• 1 month later...

Classy. It's effective, nothing groundbreaking, but simplifies the crest into the most important parts: the name and the crown. I noticed they already have merch with it available at BoA, I'd love to grab some soon.

13 hours ago, QCS said:

Classy. It's effective, nothing groundbreaking, but simplifies the crest into the most important parts: the name and the crown. I noticed they already have merch with it available at BoA, I'd love to grab some soon.

Agreed, it works! I can see it looking really nice on a sweatshirt.

On 10/20/2020 at 8:15 AM, Waffles said:

New alternate logo announced:

I didn't think I could be more bored by a sports brand than I am by what Charlotte FC has trotted out. Frankly, this is the best of the bunch, and that ain't saying much. 

CLT FC could just as easily be an acronym for clusterf***.

On 10/20/2020 at 8:15 AM, Waffles said:

New alternate logo announced:

Someone remind me how we arrived at Albertus as this brand's font again...?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived