Charlotte FC announces name and logos

Waffles

9 hours ago, UnclearInitial said:

The problem with this is that soccer is such a universal sport that to restrict the naming conventions to the English clubs is really limiting. Yes, the English were the first and many throughout the world copied their conventions (or team names outright) but local cultures also started pretty much immediately and have become part of soccer culture. So if it’s become accepted that a a team could be named after a poem, figures from Greek mythology, a Portuguese explorer, Latin or Greek words, Japanese-Italian portmanteaus,  or even be named something closer to North American naming conventions  like Miners, Tigers, Partisans or Orlando Pirates, I see no reason why an American naming would look too out of place. The real problem was that most of the original MLS names were terrible by American naming conventions too. I do prefer following mostly European conventions but saying that no other naming style works doesn’t even reflect the reality of European soccer

The Orlando Pirates were one of the teams in an off-brand soccer video game I used to play (Can't remember the name). I remember being confused asl because they were the only team with a nickname and would've been the only team in the States. This game also led me to believe that Olympiacos was a world power, further reinforced when they beat Man City at TCF Bank Stadium.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sportsfan7 said:

Well, billionaires are known for being a little ... out of touch with reality.

Yeah, but when it comes to what the average person's life is like, not that NASCAR is associated with Charlotte. 

the user formerly known as cdclt

I wouldn't mind the checkerboard pattern but I never agree with the notion that NASCAR is huge in Charlotte itself. It's the birthplace of the sport and will always be relevant but I truly feel the majority of their target audience are people who live on the outskirts of Charlotte (Moorseville, Monroe, Lincoln, etc) as well as the rest of rural NC. There are obviously NASCAR fans in CLT but it doesnt have the presence or market dominance that is usually associated with the sport and city. 

I want to focus on blue for the home kit with black hoops or a checkered-pattern sash in any orientation (diagonal, vertical/one side, or horizontal/chest). I like the idea of mint and gold, especially with it also being the site of the first US gold rush, but I really prefer that they keep the blue rather than drop it. I'd be all in on using those colors for a third or clash kit. Really wish MLS wasnt set on one colored set and one white set for all (or most) teams.

Here's a basic version I mocked up. I really wanted to get more mint in there to make it a unique look within the league. I also really liked the secondary logo and thought it would look great within the center of the crest. Then I moved the crown to the top like many Spanish clubs do. What do y'all think? My wife says it's too busy and honestly she might be right.

spacer.png

10 hours ago, qckgnc said:

I wouldn't mind the checkerboard pattern but I never agree with the notion that NASCAR is huge in Charlotte itself. It's the birthplace of the sport and will always be relevant but I truly feel the majority of their target audience are people who live on the outskirts of Charlotte (Moorseville, Monroe, Lincoln, etc) as well as the rest of rural NC. There are obviously NASCAR fans in CLT but it doesnt have the presence or market dominance that is usually associated with the sport and city. 

I want to focus on blue for the home kit with black hoops or a checkered-pattern sash in any orientation (diagonal, vertical/one side, or horizontal/chest). I like the idea of mint and gold, especially with it also being the site of the first US gold rush, but I really prefer that they keep the blue rather than drop it. I'd be all in on using those colors for a third or clash kit. Really wish MLS wasnt set on one colored set and one white set for all (or most) teams.

Even if there aren't all that many fans in the city itself, it's impossible to separate the two. The NASCAR Hall of Fame is in Charlotte, almost every team makes their home in the area, CMS hosts three events in the year, more than any other speedway I believe, and has hosted the All-Star Race since 1987 (this year it was moved due to COVID). 

2 hours ago, clshoaf said:

Here's a basic version I mocked up. I really wanted to get more mint in there to make it a unique look within the league. I also really liked the secondary logo and thought it would look great within the center of the crest. Then I moved the crown to the top like many Spanish clubs do. What do y'all think? My wife says it's too busy and honestly she might be right.

spacer.png

It's nice, but it's got too many colors. The mint outlines and words distract from the CLTFC mark that should serve as the focal point, while the white crown feels disconnected from the roundel because the mint and white clash. Maybe try making the crown mint?

I think the thing with mint green is that it doesn't go well with the Panthers blue. I think if they were using that it would have to be the dominant, maybe the only, color of the set, a la the new NY Liberty branding. Sporting conglomerate synergy wins out over uniqueness and local flavor, unfortunately.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 minutes ago, Digby said:

I think the thing with mint green is that it doesn't go well with the Panthers blue. I think if they were using that it would have to be the dominant, maybe the only, color of the set, a la the new NY Liberty branding. Sporting conglomerate synergy wins out over uniqueness and local flavor, unfortunately.

Unfortunate, but expected. I was hoping Tepper would be willing to diversify, especially the Falcons and Atlanta United have different color schemes but play in the same stadium. Maybe in 10 years when Tepper extorts the city for a new domed stadium.

16 hours ago, Digby said:

Sporting conglomerate synergy

16 hours ago, QCS said:

Unfortunate, but expected. I was hoping Tepper would be willing to diversify, especially the Falcons and Atlanta United have different color schemes but play in the same stadium.

Don't forget that the guy is from Pittsburgh.

😉

(The teams wear essentially the same colors.)

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

5 hours ago, clshoaf said:

spacer.png

Your wife is 100% right (mine is, too, most of the time. )

Drop the mint. Drop all the words. The monogram and crown is all you need.

I really dont think it would be bad if just "minted" and "2022" were mint, it actually holds the same. If the crown was moved to the top, I agree of removing the wordmark and just putting the monogram at center but, I'd go for a stylized Mecklenburg crown with 4 jewels instead of 4 spires, that way it holds the same symbolism. 

4 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

From a friend that works for the Panthers:

"Just wait on the accents and alternate colors. 😉"

This gives me hope.

That's good to hear, they've mentioned taking fan input and there is time to make a minor change like that.

5 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

From a friend that works for the Panthers:

"Just wait on the accents and alternate colors. 😉"

This gives me hope.

Hearing that they do have some alternate colors, I’ve got two guesses.

1) Some kind of purple or indigo, because of how tempting I imagine a Hornets nod (but with Panther blue instead of teal accents) would be for a clash kit. 

2) Mint. Depending on how much of thier primary kit is Panther blue and allows for this as a clash, I could see them potentially pulling off something like Real Madrid’s awesome green kit:

spacer.png

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I'd be willing to bet money that the accent will be mint given the emphasis on it throughout the cycle. If it is mint, that'll be the kit I pick up, especially if it uses the CLTFC mark.

Good fix-ups in the thread, but I was really hoping for Charlotte Town or Charlotte Mint. There shouldn't be any more [City Name] FC names in MLS. Every other MLS fan probably works in copywriting or graphic design, there should be more creativity on display than that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I like the monogram better than the crown, but doing that on a lightish blue in a roundel is territory that NYCFC already kinda went for. Don’t really want the early 10s generic blue shield era to repeat itself. On the other hand the crown is dorky and American soccer shouldn’t be prostrating itself to an English queen.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

16 hours ago, Digby said:

I like the monogram better than the crown, but doing that on a lightish blue in a roundel is territory that NYCFC already kinda went for. Don’t really want the early 10s generic blue shield era to repeat itself. On the other hand the crown is dorky and American soccer shouldn’t be prostrating itself to an English queen.

Same here on the monogram, I think it's a lot stronger than the crown they went with. I mocked this up just based on the branding they provided.

spacer.png

Archived