Charlotte FC announces name and logos

Waffles

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ugh. I hate this so much. charlotte fc is such a boring, unoriginal, and uninspired name. the logo is alright and the colours while I would have preferred something a little different are not bad. I don't really understand the CLT thing, if anything it should be CHA or CHR.

personally I will be referring to them as the crown when discussing them.

I was so excited for the name reveal and I can't believe this is what I woke up to.

11 minutes ago, jacobrgroman said:

ugh. I hate this so much. charlotte fc is such a boring, unoriginal, and uninspired name. the logo is alright and the colours while I would have preferred something a little different are not bad. I don't really understand the CLT thing, if anything it should be CHA or CHR.

personally I will be referring to them as the crown when discussing them.

I was so excited for the name reveal and I can't believe this is what I woke up to.

Yeah the Crowns is the obvious nickname for the team, I'll be calling them that if I don't want to call them CFC. As for CLT, it's the tricode for Charlotte-Douglass Airport and has become the de facto abbreviation for Charlotte, like ATL is for Atlanta. It comes from the city's name (CharLoTte) and is very common to see around the city. 

the user formerly known as cdclt

7 minutes ago, QCS said:

Yeah the Crowns is the obvious nickname for the team, I'll be calling them that if I don't want to call them CFC. As for CLT, it's the tricode for Charlotte-Douglass Airport and has become the de facto abbreviation for Charlotte, like ATL is for Atlanta. It comes from the city's name (CharLoTte) and is very common to see around the city. 

oh that makes sense. it's still a little...um...did they not notice how much of a certain word it looks like or no?

and I actually do like the secondary as well.

8 minutes ago, jacobrgroman said:

oh that makes sense. it's still a little...um...did they not notice how much of a certain word it looks like or no?

and I actually do like the secondary as well.

Believe me, you are not the first to notice the similarities. However, it's really common around Charlotte, the city government uses it, as does many private businesses and pretty much the only one that doesn't is the Hornets (further proving how out-of-touch with the city they are). The Crowns have a series on their YouTube channel called "CLTea" where they discuss the team and what's happening. 

1 hour ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

You're joking right? It's middle of the pack at worst. I really like what they did here, the monogram at the center if the roundel concepts are fantastic and do make me wish they went in that direction but it's a really solid set. I'm a fan. 

Not joking at all. It's the third club with black and blue colors. It's another roundel and a conservative "insert city name" FC.

A great opportunity missed to be distinctive.

15 minutes ago, BryanSmalls said:

Not joking at all. It's the third club with black and blue colors. It's another roundel and a conservative "insert city name" FC.

A great opportunity missed to be distinctive.

They're immediately the best looking blue and black team in the league and they took a traditional classy cityname-fc approach. Sure I would've rather had something like Town or Crown FC but it's still better than over half the leagues team names and like I said, the crest in upper half in the league. This isn't a home run but it's not a strike out either. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

3 minutes ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

They're immediately the best looking blue and black team in the league and they took a traditional classy cityname-fc approach. Sure I would've rather had something like Town or Crown FC but it's still better than over half the leagues team names and like I said, the crest in upper half in the league. This isn't a home run but it's not a strike out either. 

That's not saying much, considering nearly a third of the league's teams are named "(insert city here) FC."

Just now, gosioux76 said:

That's not saying much, considering nearly a third of the league's teams are named "(insert city here) FC."

That's not a bad thing. I prefer that over the minor league sounding Rapids, Sounders or Galaxy. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

2 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I'd use a bigger, wider crown, and I'd drop all the words.

ViklpEw.png

2 hours ago, UnclearInitial said:

How would the crown look directly on top of the C in the monogram? 

X0SJvwG.png

(I do all of my work in Microsoft Paint and think I've done about all I can with this. 🤣)

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

For those wondering about the amount of blue in the league, u/xochiheutl on r/MLS made this handy graphic:

spacer.png

Charlotte's blue is pretty distinct from others, and noticeably brighter than Montreal and San Jose, the two other blue and black teams.

34 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

ViklpEw.png

X0SJvwG.png

(I do all of my work in Microsoft Paint and think I've done about all I can with this. 🤣)

I love them both, but the bottom one more. I'd still :censored: the crown to the left on the bottom one, and I think it'd be perfect. And also better than what they unveiled today.

EDIT. That's a fun censor! I meant the word for rooster. "Tilt" would also work.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

33 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I love them both, but the bottom one more. I'd still :censored: the crown to the left on the bottom one, and I think it'd be perfect. And also better than what they unveiled today.

EDIT. That's a fun censor! I meant the word for rooster. "Tilt" would also work.

IA3Zn5X.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

What the hell is going on with the creative departments in the MLS lately? Chicago, Nashville, and now Charlotte have all been bad.

The secondary logo is okay, but the primary is just so lifeless. That 5-minute redesign is minor but adds much more character.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Was hoping I could find some people who wanted to see the crown on top with the secondary logo in the middle and was not disappointed. Made a basic mockup in Microsoft PowerPoint. What do y'all think? My wife says it's too busy.

spacer.png

15 hours ago, Mingjai said:

Mere coincidence? I doubt NYCFC would have used the “C” and the “City” if they weren’t under the City football umbrella. They would probably have gone with New York FC instead.

Eh, I dunno.  "City" has long roots in English soccer.  Manchester doesn't own that any more than they own "United", and I don't doubt that an unrelated ownership group may have also chosen "New York City", just as many clubs have adopted that other one.

Archived